Anyone using a fanless CPU heatsink..3.2GHz?

I've been using Zalmans large "flower heatsink" sucessfully on a P4 2GHz for
two years with no problems. It does have a 120mm slow casefan and the PS
fan that are pretty quiet. It's a Media Center PC, in the living room.

Anyone with a good very quiet (fanless?) CPU solution for a new 3.2GHz box?
To replace the above box..

//jk
--
Every day above ground is a good day

"kalev-" <you.wish@duh.net> wrote in message
> I've been using Zalmans large "flower heatsink" sucessfully on a P4 2GHz
for
> two years with no problems. It does have a 120mm slow casefan and the PS
> fan that are pretty quiet. It's a Media Center PC, in the living room.
>
> Anyone with a good very quiet (fanless?) CPU solution for a new 3.2GHz
box?
> To replace the above box..
>
> //jk
> --
> Every day above ground is a good day

Your not going to find that..
One would think that the 2ghz would be sufficent for a MCPC ? ..
The other option is for you to go to the newest PentM .. They should def be
"able" to go fanless. You could have someone build you a heatpipe that will
move all heat back to the case, thick case and you could go that way but I
say good luck ;) ..
SPCR could probably help you best.

milleron

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:24:43 +0100, kalev- <you.wish@duh.net> wrote:

>I've been using Zalmans large "flower heatsink" sucessfully on a P4 2GHz for
>two years with no problems. It does have a 120mm slow casefan and the PS
>fan that are pretty quiet. It's a Media Center PC, in the living room.
>
>Anyone with a good very quiet (fanless?) CPU solution for a new 3.2GHz box?
>To replace the above box..
>
>//jk

In concept, it's possible to do this. CPU Magazine this month reviews
a mini-chassis PC made by respected manufacturer, Maingear. It's the
model X-Cube 2.5. It has an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU and runs with a
heatpipe cooler that does NOT have a fan directly attached. They
point out that there's a case fan "near the top," and I assume that
means it's near the heatsink, but the heatsink itself is definitely
fanless, and this is NOT a mobile chip. Unfortunately, they show only
a photo of the heatsink and don't give the name of the manufacturer.
It's possible that it's proprietary. If you're interested, Maingear
tech support might give you the details.

Ron

rstlne wrote:

> Your not going to find that..
> One would think that the 2ghz would be sufficent for a MCPC ? ..
> The other option is for you to go to the newest PentM .. They should def
> be
> "able" to go fanless. You could have someone build you a heatpipe that
> will move all heat back to the case, thick case and you could go that way
> but I say good luck ;) ..
> SPCR could probably help you best.

You mean SilentPCreview?

Indeed a 2GHz SHOULD HAVE BEEN enough, the "problem" is that I got my hands
on HD-TV streams and WMV-HD content. Not enough CPU power. Lots of
Framedropping and poor interactive response, hooked to a plasma.

//jk

--
Every day above ground is a good day

> You mean SilentPCreview?

yea.. The forums there have some creative solutions and you can see if it
has been done there before. Granted the new amd chips might be better than
a 3.2 p4 also .. PLUS the cpu can throttle down with ease while not busy..

> Indeed a 2GHz SHOULD HAVE BEEN enough, the "problem" is that I got my
hands
> on HD-TV streams and WMV-HD content. Not enough CPU power. Lots of
> Framedropping and poor interactive response, hooked to a plasma.
>
> //jk

Yea the WMV-HD content is stressful. Are you sure that a video card upgrade
might not be more beneficial? .. I find that with some content I get
framedrops even tho I shouldnt.. DVD playback on my box is horrid but the
WMV-HD content is smooth (Granted I cant have any other programs running)

Paul

Splendid

In article <2v9a3eF2hfhv5U1@uni-berlin.de>, kalev- <you.wish@duh.net> wrote:

> rstlne wrote:
>

> > Your not going to find that..
> > One would think that the 2ghz would be sufficent for a MCPC ? ..
> > The other option is for you to go to the newest PentM .. They should def
> > be
> > "able" to go fanless. You could have someone build you a heatpipe that
> > will move all heat back to the case, thick case and you could go that way
> > but I say good luck ;) ..
> > SPCR could probably help you best.
>
> You mean SilentPCreview?
>
> Indeed a 2GHz SHOULD HAVE BEEN enough, the "problem" is that I got my hands
> on HD-TV streams and WMV-HD content. Not enough CPU power. Lots of
> Framedropping and poor interactive response, hooked to a plasma.
>
> //jk

You might want to consider a video card change:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2238&p=2

In doing some other research, I ran into a few threads, where
people were experimenting with their 6800 cards, and the
video processor didn't seem to be working. But, judging by
the Anandtech article, the 6200 and 6600GT cards, may be
better candidates for your application, as the video
processor might just work better, and as these are lesser
gaming cards, they will probably run cooler than a 6800
would.

Video cards for the last several years, have had IDCT (inverse
discrete cosine transform - part of FFT, used for frequency
domain compression of video content). But the Nvidia 6xxx cards
go one step further, to also handle other functions. This page
gives a list of some of those functions - the page is for
6800, but the 6600 and 6200 have the same functions.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0%2C1558%2C1567092%2C00.asp

Using such a card means your processor only has to shuffle data
around. No processor upgrade would be needed, when the video
card is working properly.

HTH,
Paul

Let me save you some time and money. Use the zalman 7000 with the 3.2
prescot chip, I tried one of those heat pipe coolers with and without
fans. The zalman ran at 48c, the heat pipe ran at 62c with fans.

Bottom line is the prescot runs hot. Get a good cooler like the 7000,
all copper may work better than the alcu unit. I am going to try an all
copper zalman later this week.

rstlne wrote:

> Yea the WMV-HD content is stressful. Are you sure that a video card
> upgrade
> might not be more beneficial? .. I find that with some content I get
> framedrops even tho I shouldnt.. DVD playback on my box is horrid but the
> WMV-HD content is smooth (Granted I cant have any other programs running)

Indeed a speedy gfx card seems beneficial too, in my case it's already a
Radeon 9800 with a Zalman "80" heatpipe. But still -- HD-TV content still
kills the box.

//jk

--

kalev- wrote:

> rstlne wrote:
>
>> Yea the WMV-HD content is stressful. Are you sure that a video card
>> upgrade
>> might not be more beneficial? .. I find that with some content I get
>> framedrops even tho I shouldnt.. DVD playback on my box is horrid but the
>> WMV-HD content is smooth (Granted I cant have any other programs running)
>
> Indeed a speedy gfx card seems beneficial too, in my case it's already a
> Radeon 9800 with a Zalman "80" heatpipe. But still -- HD-TV content still
> kills the box.
>
> //jk

Well, I just thought I'd share what I decided to to with the CPU:
I ordered a Zalman CNPS7000B-CU (has a 92mm fan)
There's a revised version on the way: "7700" with a 120mm fan, but no
shipping date from dealer.
But being impatient I took the one that was in stock. Close enough!

//jk

--
Every day above ground is a good day

Tim

You may be interested to know that DFI has a desktop mobo out that supports
Penium M:

http://www.anandtech.com/news/default.aspx?newdate=11/04/2004

For board specs see:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3350&CATEGORY_TYPE=MB&SITE=US