External drive not detected

July 5, 2004 6:46:15 PM

I recently purchased an external hard drive, IOGear ION
250GB, Model No. GHD135C250. My Toshiba Satellite
(laptop) 1905-S301 running XP Home will not detect it. I
plug it in, and nothing happens. I ran through all of the
USB hardware troubleshooting steps for XP.

The USB 1.1 port works, as evidenced by the computer
detecting other devices and by the device manager not
finding any problems with the BUS or the device.

I also tried plugging it in through my ILink port by using
a Firewire-ILink plug--to no avail.

I called IOGear, and they're not much help. They said the
drive was probably defective--I returned it, received a
new one, and the new one doesn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

(IOGear does not have any drivers for XP for this drive,
only 98SE, which will not install on XP)

Paul
July 5, 2004 8:51:03 PM

Go back to the store: bu an external drive case [one with all the Drivers for the external drive - they'll be USB and / or firewire drivers] and a separate Hard Drive.

Take 5 minutes, plug in the hard drive and plug it into your Toshiba at the store.

If it doesn't work then try another case until one works.

It should not be a difficult process, but buying separate case and HDD will save you oney.

I build these for my clients as a backup solution and they cost me <US $ 160 using 120Gb HDDs.

"Paul B." wrote:

> I recently purchased an external hard drive, IOGear ION
> 250GB, Model No. GHD135C250. My Toshiba Satellite
> (laptop) 1905-S301 running XP Home will not detect it. I
> plug it in, and nothing happens. I ran through all of the
> USB hardware troubleshooting steps for XP.
>
> The USB 1.1 port works, as evidenced by the computer
> detecting other devices and by the device manager not
> finding any problems with the BUS or the device.
>
> I also tried plugging it in through my ILink port by using
> a Firewire-ILink plug--to no avail.
>
> I called IOGear, and they're not much help. They said the
> drive was probably defective--I returned it, received a
> new one, and the new one doesn't work either.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> (IOGear does not have any drivers for XP for this drive,
> only 98SE, which will not install on XP)
>
> Paul

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 12:06:02 PM

So there's no way to do this with my current drive? Someone suggested that the problem might be that my computer might have problems detecting a drive of this size, and to partition it with Partition Magic. The problem is that I already have Partition Commander, which doesn't recognize the drive's existance. So I have some doubts about the success of Partition Magic.

Thanks!

Paul

"BAR" wrote:

> Go back to the store: bu an external drive case [one with all the Drivers for the external drive - they'll be USB and / or firewire drivers] and a separate Hard Drive.
>
> Take 5 minutes, plug in the hard drive and plug it into your Toshiba at the store.
>
> If it doesn't work then try another case until one works.
>
> It should not be a difficult process, but buying separate case and HDD will save you oney.
>
> I build these for my clients as a backup solution and they cost me <US $ 160 using 120Gb HDDs.
>
> "Paul B." wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased an external hard drive, IOGear ION
> > 250GB, Model No. GHD135C250. My Toshiba Satellite
> > (laptop) 1905-S301 running XP Home will not detect it. I
> > plug it in, and nothing happens. I ran through all of the
> > USB hardware troubleshooting steps for XP.
> >
> > The USB 1.1 port works, as evidenced by the computer
> > detecting other devices and by the device manager not
> > finding any problems with the BUS or the device.
> >
> > I also tried plugging it in through my ILink port by using
> > a Firewire-ILink plug--to no avail.
> >
> > I called IOGear, and they're not much help. They said the
> > drive was probably defective--I returned it, received a
> > new one, and the new one doesn't work either.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > (IOGear does not have any drivers for XP for this drive,
> > only 98SE, which will not install on XP)
> >
> > Paul

July 6, 2004 1:59:00 PM

The reason there are no XP drivers is because XP is supposed to natively
support this drive. My question is did you install Windows XP with
Service Pack 1 (or have Service Pack 1 installed?). Service Pack 1
enabled the use of harddrives over 137GB (by enabling 48bit LBA
support). You shouldn't have to partition the drive to get it to work,
though I would suggest splitting it in at least two :)

Two major things I would suggest. First, make sure that your latest
chipset drivers are installed for proper USB drivers/support. Second,
when the harddrive is connected, right click on My Computer, click
Manage, and click on Disk Management. Does it at least show up in there?

Lastly, try using the harddrive on someone else's computer and see if it
works over there.

Nathan McNulty

Paul B. wrote:
> So there's no way to do this with my current drive? Someone suggested that the problem might be that my computer might have problems detecting a drive of this size, and to partition it with Partition Magic. The problem is that I already have Partition Commander, which doesn't recognize the drive's existance. So I have some doubts about the success of Partition Magic.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Paul
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>

>>Go back to the store: bu an external drive case [one with all the Drivers for the external drive - they'll be USB and / or firewire drivers] and a separate Hard Drive.
>>
>>Take 5 minutes, plug in the hard drive and plug it into your Toshiba at the store.
>>
>>If it doesn't work then try another case until one works.
>>
>>It should not be a difficult process, but buying separate case and HDD will save you oney.
>>
>>I build these for my clients as a backup solution and they cost me <US $ 160 using 120Gb HDDs.
>>
>>"Paul B." wrote:
>>

>>>I recently purchased an external hard drive, IOGear ION
>>>250GB, Model No. GHD135C250. My Toshiba Satellite
>>>(laptop) 1905-S301 running XP Home will not detect it. I
>>>plug it in, and nothing happens. I ran through all of the
>>>USB hardware troubleshooting steps for XP.
>>>
>>>The USB 1.1 port works, as evidenced by the computer
>>>detecting other devices and by the device manager not
>>>finding any problems with the BUS or the device.
>>>
>>>I also tried plugging it in through my ILink port by using
>>>a Firewire-ILink plug--to no avail.
>>>
>>>I called IOGear, and they're not much help. They said the
>>>drive was probably defective--I returned it, received a
>>>new one, and the new one doesn't work either.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any ideas?
>>>
>>>(IOGear does not have any drivers for XP for this drive,
>>>only 98SE, which will not install on XP)
>>>
>>>Paul

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 8:18:20 PM

"Paul B." <Paul B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So there's no way to do this with my current drive? Someone suggested
that the problem might be that my computer might have problems detecting a
drive of this size, and to partition it with Partition Magic. The problem
is that I already have Partition Commander, which doesn't recognize the
drive's existance. So I have some doubts about the success of Partition
Magic.

> Thanks!
>
> Paul

Paul:

My comments pertain to the USB connectivity of the IOGEAR external hard
drive. I've had virtually no experience using Firewire.

1. I assume you've installed SP1 as well as all MS critical updates..
2. Ensure that the on-off switch on the external drive is ON during the time
it's connected to the computer. I mention this because more than one user
has had a problem with these devices because he or she didn't power up their
external drive while it was connected to their computer.
3. Your USB connection is plugged directly into your laptop's USB port and
not into a USB hub. There's been more than one case where an external hard
drive was inoperable when connected through a hub.
4. Ordinarily, no drivers are needed in XP when using a USB external drive,
however, when computers that use proprietary equipment are involved, such as
your Toshiba laptop, should you run into a problem it's always wise to
contact the manufacturer to ascertain whether any special drivers and/or
firmware may be necessary.
5. When you say "... XP Home will not detect it. I plug it in, and nothing
happens". You mean by this that the external drive is not shown in My
Computer/Windows Explorer and that you can't access it in order to copy
files from your fixed internal drive to the external drive -- is that
correct?
6. Access XP's Disk Management utility -- Start | Control Panel |
Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management. Is there any
reference to your EHD displayed here? If so, describe in detail.
7. After (hopefully!) you get your IOGEAR EHD up & running, consider the
possibility of upgrading your Toshiba laptop from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. The
speed differential (in favor of USB 2.0, of course) is enormous and you will
never regret having that capability. But I don't know if it's economically
feasible to do so, or whether it's even a viable option with your Toshiba
laptop. Check with Toshiba.

Art
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:25:02 PM

I just updated the chipset--no dice, it still doesn't show up under Management. I also went through and turned on all of the services that were off. Still nothing.
I did install Service Pack 1, and have been good about updating with all of the critical updates.

I'm going to try to test it out on another computer tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions, any other ideas?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> The reason there are no XP drivers is because XP is supposed to natively
> support this drive. My question is did you install Windows XP with
> Service Pack 1 (or have Service Pack 1 installed?). Service Pack 1
> enabled the use of harddrives over 137GB (by enabling 48bit LBA
> support). You shouldn't have to partition the drive to get it to work,
> though I would suggest splitting it in at least two :)
>
> Two major things I would suggest. First, make sure that your latest
> chipset drivers are installed for proper USB drivers/support. Second,
> when the harddrive is connected, right click on My Computer, click
> Manage, and click on Disk Management. Does it at least show up in there?
>
> Lastly, try using the harddrive on someone else's computer and see if it
> works over there.
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Paul B. wrote:
> > So there's no way to do this with my current drive? Someone suggested that the problem might be that my computer might have problems detecting a drive of this size, and to partition it with Partition Magic. The problem is that I already have Partition Commander, which doesn't recognize the drive's existance. So I have some doubts about the success of Partition Magic.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > "BAR" wrote:
> >

> >>Go back to the store: bu an external drive case [one with all the Drivers for the external drive - they'll be USB and / or firewire drivers] and a separate Hard Drive.
> >>
> >>Take 5 minutes, plug in the hard drive and plug it into your Toshiba at the store.
> >>
> >>If it doesn't work then try another case until one works.
> >>
> >>It should not be a difficult process, but buying separate case and HDD will save you oney.
> >>
> >>I build these for my clients as a backup solution and they cost me <US $ 160 using 120Gb HDDs.

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 3:31:02 PM

1. I assume you've installed SP1 as well as all MS critical updates..
> 2. Ensure that the on-off switch on the external drive is ON during the time
> it's connected to the computer. I mention this because more than one user
> has had a problem with these devices because he or she didn't power up their
> external drive while it was connected to their computer.
> 3. Your USB connection is plugged directly into your laptop's USB port and
> not into a USB hub. There's been more than one case where an external hard
> drive was inoperable when connected through a hub.
> 4. Ordinarily, no drivers are needed in XP when using a USB external drive,
> however, when computers that use proprietary equipment are involved, such as
> your Toshiba laptop, should you run into a problem it's always wise to
> contact the manufacturer to ascertain whether any special drivers and/or
> firmware may be necessary.
> 5. When you say "... XP Home will not detect it. I plug it in, and nothing
> happens". You mean by this that the external drive is not shown in My
> Computer/Windows Explorer and that you can't access it in order to copy
> files from your fixed internal drive to the external drive -- is that
> correct?
> 6. Access XP's Disk Management utility -- Start | Control Panel |
> Administrative Tools | Computer Management | Disk Management. Is there any
> reference to your EHD displayed here? If so, describe in detail.
> 7. After (hopefully!) you get your IOGEAR EHD up & running, consider the
> possibility of upgrading your Toshiba laptop from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0. The
> speed differential (in favor of USB 2.0, of course) is enormous and you will
> never regret having that capability. But I don't know if it's economically
> feasible to do so, or whether it's even a viable option with your Toshiba
> laptop. Check with Toshiba.
>
> Art

Art,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions--I'll try to respond as well as you questioned!

1. Service Pack 1 and all of the critical updates have been installed, but I'm not sure about SP1a--would that matter?
2. The drive is on.
3. It's plugged in directly to the port--also with the firewire/ilink, it's plugged directly into the port. Neither works.
4. The manufacturer keeps telling me that my drive is defective, and says that it should be working--there are no drivers for it. They're sending me another (the third!).

5. The drive does not show up anywhere, under Manage, My Computer, under the Device Manager, and no little window bubble pops out of the task bar telling me about my wonderful new hardware that is detected. Likewise, when I try to "Add New Hardware" nothing happens.

Hopefully you have some other ideas, I'm starting to lose all patience and hope.

Paul

"Art" wrote:

> "Paul B." <Paul B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > So there's no way to do this with my current drive? Someone suggested
> that the problem might be that my computer might have problems detecting a
> drive of this size, and to partition it with Partition Magic. The problem
> is that I already have Partition Commander, which doesn't recognize the
> drive's existance. So I have some doubts about the success of Partition
> Magic.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Paul
>
> Paul:
>
> My comments pertain to the USB connectivity of the IOGEAR external hard
> drive. I've had virtually no experience using Firewire.

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 2:01:43 AM

Only other thing you could try is installing Windows Service Pack 2. It
is still in Beta, but it is pretty stable. That is available through
Windows Update or online. Here is a link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/s...

Nathan McNulty

!