access denied

can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

Take Ownership, #8 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating
C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any suggestions ?
Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
to which you have been denied access:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating C and E partitions on my single hard
disk drive. Any suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions? Thx

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
> to which you have been denied access:
>
> How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect your PC!

> "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:
>
> | can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating C and E partitions on my single hard
> disk drive. Any suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

What color do the files show as?
Are the files encrypted?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions? Thx
>
> "dr.adham" wrote:
>
> > can't access files or copy them from my d partition after
formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no
result

most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying decryption.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> What color do the files show as?
> Are the files encrypted?
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions? Thx
> >
> > "dr.adham" wrote:
> >
> > > can't access files or copy them from my d partition after
> formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
> suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no
> result

That is what I thought, green means encrypted..
You encrypted them from the previous installation.
You need the profile from the previous installation.
Did you at least back-up the keys?
If not your data is effectively forever gone.

See this link for possible options:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying decryption.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > What color do the files show as?
> > Are the files encrypted?
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >

> > "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions?
Thx

> > formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
> > suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with
no
> > result

how should I have done backup of the keys ?
tried all the rest, failed.
Thank you for your support

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> That is what I thought, green means encrypted..
> You encrypted them from the previous installation.
> You need the profile from the previous installation.
> Did you at least back-up the keys?
> If not your data is effectively forever gone.
>
> See this link for possible options:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "dr.adham" <dradham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying decryption.
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > What color do the files show as?
> > > Are the files encrypted?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> > >

> > > "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thx

> > > formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
> > > suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with
> no
> > > result

It is to late now, but the links at the bottom of this link will help
you prevent this in the future: