access denied

can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no result
9 answers Last reply
More about access denied

    Take Ownership, #8 on this link:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating
    C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any suggestions ?
    Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

    This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
    to which you have been denied access:

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    | can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating C and E partitions on my single hard
    disk drive. Any suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

    didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions? Thx

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > This article describes how to take ownership of a file or folder
    > to which you have been denied access:
    >
    > How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    > "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:
    >
    > | can't access files or copy them from my d partition after formating C and E partitions on my single hard
    > disk drive. Any suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no result

    What color do the files show as?
    Are the files encrypted?

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions? Thx
    >
    > "dr.adham" wrote:
    >
    > > can't access files or copy them from my d partition after
    formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
    suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no
    result

    most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying decryption.

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > What color do the files show as?
    > Are the files encrypted?
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions? Thx
    > >
    > > "dr.adham" wrote:
    > >
    > > > can't access files or copy them from my d partition after
    > formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
    > suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with no
    > result

    That is what I thought, green means encrypted..
    You encrypted them from the previous installation.
    You need the profile from the previous installation.
    Did you at least back-up the keys?
    If not your data is effectively forever gone.

    See this link for possible options:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    > most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying decryption.
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > What color do the files show as?
    > > Are the files encrypted?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > didn't work too. Sure i did everything right. Any suggestions?
    Thx

    > > formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
    > > suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with
    no
    > > result

    how should I have done backup of the keys ?
    tried all the rest, failed.
    Thank you for your support

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > That is what I thought, green means encrypted..
    > You encrypted them from the previous installation.
    > You need the profile from the previous installation.
    > Did you at least back-up the keys?
    > If not your data is effectively forever gone.
    >
    > See this link for possible options:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "dr.adham" <dradham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying decryption.
    > >
    > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > What color do the files show as?
    > > > Are the files encrypted?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > > >

    > > > "dr.adham" <dr.adham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thx

    > > > formating C and E partitions on my single hard disk drive. Any
    > > > suggestions ? Data is still there and tried security settings with
    > no
    > > > result

    It is to late now, but the links at the bottom of this link will help
    you prevent this in the future:

    > how should I have done backup of the keys ?
    > tried all the rest, failed.
    > Thank you for your support
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > That is what I thought, green means encrypted..
    > > You encrypted them from the previous installation.
    > > You need the profile from the previous installation.
    > > Did you at least back-up the keys?
    > > If not your data is effectively forever gone.
    > >
    > > See this link for possible options:
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "dr.adham" <dradham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > most are green, tried decrypting, gives error applying
    decryption.

    > > Thx

    > > no

Windows XP