HELP! my hard drive formatting not sticking

Z-Man

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

Hi Nathan,

What u meant by controller card? By that do u mean I
didn't buy the right external enclosure for my hard
drive? Aren't all external enclosure the same?
Isn't "any/a enclosure is an eclosure" like that saying
goes? If u could elaborate more, give me more details on
what u meant by controller card, that would be great. So
if I bought the wrong enclosure, what details do I need
to look for exactly so as to a properly partitioned &
formatted 250GB hard drive would show up most of its
250GB capacity on, and I may perhaps going on a stretch
here...ANY (???)...computer? (or does it also depend on
the OS of the computer I'm hooking it up to? For example,
I was thinking of (if I had successfully formatted it--
which I wasn't) hooking it up (by way of USB 1) to my
WinME computa (it only has USB 1...or is that
1.1???...was there v1 before 1.1???).........yeah I was
thinkin about using it EXternally with WinME.........

..............but my Spidey-sense got the better of me and
now had confirmed in my mind to use it just with the XP
family (XP Home AND Media Center Edition 2004)........so
I formatted (or thought I did) 2 x 125GB NTFS partitions
(vs. FAT32)

A little about my computer savviness, I would say I'm a
noobie........but with good, datailed (enough) set of
instructions, I'm willing to get dirty.....but most of
these instruction sets that most of these manufacturers
included with their merchandise are leaving much to be
desired

(BTW, u kno of any forums dedicated talking/discussing
mostly to hard drive
installation/replacement/partitioning/formatting/helping
noobies with these issues/troubleshooting?)

Thanks for your help,

P.S. I followed the (scant) instructions from Western
Digital so I used their software Data Lifeguard Tool
v11.0 version for Windows (vs. for DOS). But from
browsing the various threads on here, I heard of FDISK,
FORMAT, and what u mentioned--Disk Management....what are
those??? Could I use any of thes e to get my freaking
drive to work?? And which one should I use for best
result (i.e. data reliability 1st and foremost then any
other criteria I might have forgot)??????? (Are u
personally familiar with WD Data Lifeguard Tool??

gave to the
>drive was erased because of the controller card in your
external casing.
> Second, what filing system did you chose to use on the
partitions?
>Third, right click on My Computer and select Manage.
Now go down to
>Disk Management and see what it says ;) Finally, it is
common to lose
>quite a bit of harddrive in partitions/formatting. I
have a 160 GB SATA
>WD HD. It shows up as 149GB :(
>
>Nathan McNulty

thought the 2 partitions on my new hard drive got
formatted cause I "tested" by copying some file to both
partitions and saw them on BOTH partitions and observed
when clicked "Propertie" for BOTH, saw tabs called
(1) "Sharing" & (2) "Quota", whatever those
are/significance, I don't know yet/understand. Then
proceeded to rename BOTH, also in the "Properties dialog
box" (the names that the partitioning AND formatting
program gave the 2 partitions were generic-sounding names
(like DRIVE2Vol#1 & DRIVE2Vol2, cause I hooked it up as
an INTERNAL drive to a computer running WinXP Home
Edition SP1. The new drive was the only hard drive other
than the other drive that's already in the computer
running as the bootup drive (in other words, I hooked it
up on the same cable as the bootup drive, using the spare
connector that was hanging off of the cable...so I
jumpered the new drive as a SLAVE drive (in a 2 drives on
1 cable, which presumably is the PRIMARY channel cable)).

Thinking I liked what I saw, I turned off PC, removed
hard drive, jumpered it as a "SINGLE" drive by removing
the jumper-thingy and put it in my EXTERNAL case that has
BOTH FireWire/USB 2.0 interfaces and hooked it back to
the same WinXP computer I used to format it, except this
time using USB. Turned it on after the computer, ONLY 1
partition is usable, by which I mean

(1) the "DRIVE2Vol2" lost that name and now takes on yet
still another generic-sounding name "Local Disk" and when
(2) clicked "Properties" for the partition that lost its
name, the 2 previously observed tabs above are not there
anymore, and
(3) when I double clicked on it to find the files I
copied to it when it was an INTERNAL drive, those files
weren't there and Windows asked me if I "wanted to format
the drive?" I'm not sure if I should click "Yes" button
to format it or not........thus I'm here in this forum
(AND I THOUGHT THE ABOVE MENTIONED PARTITIONING &
FORMATTING SOFTWARE THAT COMES WITH THE DRIVE SHOULD HAVE
FORMATTED IT--ALREADY!!!)

Now for some details, the HD is a WD 250GB Caviar and the
software that came with it is WD Data Lifeguard Tool
v11.0 version for Windows (vs. for DOS). I partitioned 2
equal partitions. The sizes shown before I removed it to
make into EXTERNAL HD were 116GB x 2 (BTW, should I have
only this much GB as usable after formatting?
18GB "lost", not usable for my own data? Is this
common?). When it's an EXternal drive, only 1 partitions
of 116GB shows up......the other "missing" asks if I want
to format it? HEEEEEEEEELP please!!!! Thank you! (Oh,
BTW, the SW asked me if I wanted to "add the drive
as an additional storage device" or "add the drive as the
new boot device"...I elected to use "add the drive as an
additional storage device".)

:) OK, first controller card. What I meant by that is the card that your
drive connects to in the external ecnlosure. All of them are not made
the same. Some are USB, some FireWire, some Parallel. Here is what you
really want. The enclosure should be USB 2.0. USB 1.0 (it did exist)
and USB 1.1 are both very slow. USB 2.0 is currently the fastest (of
USB). Second, using the software that came with your drive to partition
the harddrive is what I would have suggested. There are many different
ways to do this though. As for disk management, that is in Windows when
you right click on My Computer, click Manage, and click on Disk
Management at the bottom :) Finally, if you feel that you partitioned
and formatted everything correctly and it just isn't working on your
computer, try plugging it into any other computer that is available and
see if it works on those. Oh, and good choice on NTFS ;)

Nathan McNulty