Asus P4C800E Deluxe with SATA drives and RAID 0

Can anyone help me?

I have two WD 36 GB Raptors that I want to set up as RAID 0. My motherboard
has two RAID controllers. One is the Intel ICH5R and the other is the
Promise PDC20378. Which is the prefered one to use? Any help or suggestion
would be most welcome.

Many thanks Alan

Paul

Splendid

In article <C7akd.465$ny2.346@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, "Alan Guest"
<alan.guest1@virgin.net> wrote:

> Can anyone help me?
>
> I have two WD 36 GB Raptors that I want to set up as RAID 0. My motherboard
> has two RAID controllers. One is the Intel ICH5R and the other is the
> Promise PDC20378. Which is the prefered one to use? Any help or suggestion
> would be most welcome.
>
> Many thanks Alan

The ICH5R has a 266MB/sec path to the system memory. The Promise
controller is limited by the PCI bus to 133MB/sec (of which about
100-110MB/sec practical bandwidth is available). Try the ICH5R.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=595566

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul.

Alan
> In article <C7akd.465$ny2.346@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, "Alan Guest"
> <alan.guest1@virgin.net> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> I have two WD 36 GB Raptors that I want to set up as RAID 0. My
>> motherboard
>> has two RAID controllers. One is the Intel ICH5R and the other is the
>> Promise PDC20378. Which is the prefered one to use? Any help or
>> suggestion
>> would be most welcome.
>>
>> Many thanks Alan
>
> The ICH5R has a 266MB/sec path to the system memory. The Promise
> controller is limited by the PCI bus to 133MB/sec (of which about
> 100-110MB/sec practical bandwidth is available). Try the ICH5R.
>
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=595566
>
> Paul

Alan--I am using RAID 0 with paired Raptors also with that same motherboard.
Suggest that you disable the Promise controller and use the ICH5R Intel
Controller which is faster. I have two optical drives, two SATA drives and
an P-ATA HDD connected to the Intel Controller and no need for the Promise.
It may be that the Promise Controller works through a PCI channel which
slightly slows throughput down.

MikeSp
"Alan Guest" <alan.guest1@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me?
>
> I have two WD 36 GB Raptors that I want to set up as RAID 0. My
> motherboard has two RAID controllers. One is the Intel ICH5R and the other
> is the Promise PDC20378. Which is the prefered one to use? Any help or
> suggestion would be most welcome.
>
> Many thanks Alan

Thanks for the info Mike.

Alan
"Michael S." <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Alan--I am using RAID 0 with paired Raptors also with that same
> motherboard. Suggest that you disable the Promise controller and use the
> ICH5R Intel Controller which is faster. I have two optical drives, two
> SATA drives and an P-ATA HDD connected to the Intel Controller and no need
> for the Promise. It may be that the Promise Controller works through a PCI
> channel which slightly slows throughput down.
>
> MikeSp
> "Alan Guest" <alan.guest1@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> I have two WD 36 GB Raptors that I want to set up as RAID 0. My
>> motherboard has two RAID controllers. One is the Intel ICH5R and the
>> other is the Promise PDC20378. Which is the prefered one to use? Any help
>> or suggestion would be most welcome.
>>
>> Many thanks Alan

Jada

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2004

I'm about to setup of of these boards. Any problems with IAA and your
optical drives? I've heard some people have had problems burning disc
and the cure was to get rid of IAA.

Thanks

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:08:33 -0600, "Michael S."
<mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote:

>Alan--I am using RAID 0 with paired Raptors also with that same motherboard.
>Suggest that you disable the Promise controller and use the ICH5R Intel
>Controller which is faster. I have two optical drives, two SATA drives and
>an P-ATA HDD connected to the Intel Controller and no need for the Promise.
>It may be that the Promise Controller works through a PCI channel which
>slightly slows throughput down.
>
>MikeSp
>"Alan Guest" <alan.guest1@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> Can anyone help me?
>>
>> I have two WD 36 GB Raptors that I want to set up as RAID 0. My
>> motherboard has two RAID controllers. One is the Intel ICH5R and the other
>> is the Promise PDC20378. Which is the prefered one to use? Any help or
>> suggestion would be most welcome.
>>
>> Many thanks Alan

Perhaps it was luck--but no problems of any kind with this motherboard and
the optical drives (BTW, I am using a Plexwriter Premium CD burner and a
Plextor PX-712A DVD burner on the secondary IDE channel and they both work
great with Nero). Thus no problem with IAA and the optical drives.

The only issue I have had with this computer build is some compatibility
issues between Norton Systemworks and the Audigy 2ZS sound card--I had to
disable a couple of functions of the sound card since neither Symantec nor
Soundblaster would own up to the issue although they admitted that it
existed--they just pointed fingers at each other.

MikeSp
-----------------------------

> Perhaps it was luck--but no problems of any kind with this motherboard and
> the optical drives (BTW, I am using a Plexwriter Premium CD burner and a
> Plextor PX-712A DVD burner on the secondary IDE channel and they both work
> great with Nero). Thus no problem with IAA and the optical drives.
>
> The only issue I have had with this computer build is some compatibility
> issues between Norton Systemworks and the Audigy 2ZS sound card--I had to
> disable a couple of functions of the sound card since neither Symantec nor
> Soundblaster would own up to the issue although they admitted that it
> existed--they just pointed fingers at each other.

What were the incompatabilities you mentioned? I have the audigy2 zs and
norton Sytemworks also.