karl

Having a strange problem. My cd-rom drive drive d isnt
working quite right. I can play audio cd's, I can use
data cd's fine, I can even burn cd's fine ,but when I try
to format a blank cd-rw or try to open a blank cd-rw all
I get is drive d:\ is inaccessible thanks in advance for
the help. Oh btw I have already tried uninstalling the
hardware and reinstall it and I still have the same
problem.

ag3nt

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004

Ever stop to think that maybe your drive isn't CD-RW compatible?

"karl" wrote:

> Having a strange problem. My cd-rom drive drive d isnt
> working quite right. I can play audio cd's, I can use
> data cd's fine, I can even burn cd's fine ,but when I try
> to format a blank cd-rw or try to open a blank cd-rw all
> I get is drive d:\ is inaccessible thanks in advance for
> the help. Oh btw I have already tried uninstalling the
> hardware and reinstall it and I still have the same
> problem.

karl

Well it had been able to do format them just fine on
windows 98 but this is the first time i've tried it on XP
and it aint working plus it can still burn data to it and
read data from them I just cant format them.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What program are you using to "format". You don't need to do that with XP
you can burn multisession CDs from within explorer. (unless you mean to
erase a CDRW but again XP will do that)

Neil
"karl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Having a strange problem. My cd-rom drive drive d isnt
> working quite right. I can play audio cd's, I can use
> data cd's fine, I can even burn cd's fine ,but when I try
> to format a blank cd-rw or try to open a blank cd-rw all
> I get is drive d:\ is inaccessible thanks in advance for
> the help. Oh btw I have already tried uninstalling the
> hardware and reinstall it and I still have the same
> problem.

karl

I can still go in and "burn" data to a cd-rw ,but to do
so I have to bring up my cd burning software (I use
IOMEGA) and if I want to erase anything on the cd I have
to erase the whole CD. Now whe I try to format the cd-rw
all I do is open "my computer" and right click on the cd
drive d icon. From the menu I just click on format. I
then get a message telling that Iomega can't open drive
d. Also if I go into "my computer" and just double click
on the cd drive d icon it bings up a message saying drive
d is inaccessibe incorrect function so I dont believe
that it is just a problem with Iomega. I've tried
uninstalling and reinstalling both Iomega and the cd-rom
drive but that brought no success. I also ran an eror
check on Drive c my hardrive again with no succcess.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
If you right click on the drive in "my computer" is there a "Recording" tab.
If there is make sure it is set to "Enable CD recording on this drive" if
not then XP is not recognising the drive as a writer.
If not check this out
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129&Product=winxp

all the best