ASUS A7V8X-X wont hold bios settings

battery doesn't seem to old bios settings evry time the there is a power
lost I have to reset the cpu speed and the hour , I have changed the
batterie with out any success anybody ever had this problem or knows a
solution

Paul

Splendid

In article <1Ibkd.35777$ak3.1265531@wagner.videotron.net>, "Guy1"
<outaouais30@yahoo.com> wrote:

> battery doesn't seem to old bios settings evry time the there is a power
> lost I have to reset the cpu speed and the hour , I have changed the
> batterie with out any success anybody ever had this problem or knows a
> solution

That can happen, if you cleared the CMOS while +5VSB was still being
applied to the board. ("Clear RTC RAM" in the manual.) Before clearing
the CMOS, the green LED on the board should not be lit. The safest way
to ensure that +5VSB is not on the board, is to unplug the computer
before doing the clear CMOS procedure.

If you got the board used from someone else, they could have done
that to the board. The part that can get damaged, is a dual diode
with "K45" printed on it in tiny letters. Typically the diode will
be near the CMOS battery, but it doesn't have to be there. It could
be anywhere. Either that dual diode (it has three legs), or a
copper track feeding the diode, could be damaged.

The BAS40-05 and BAS40W-05, are the nearest thing to a substitute
I can find. The -05 part selects the "common cathode" diode
configuration. You can buy these from Digikey in the states. The
difference between these two, is the shape of the package. Match
the dimensions in the datasheets, to the part on the motherboard,
for best fit.

http://www.diodes.com/tracker/pdftracker.php?page=http://www.diodes.com/product_catalog/search.php&ds=ds11006.pdf
http://www.diodes.com/tracker/pdftracker.php?page=http://www.diodes.com/product_catalog/search.php&ds=ds30114.pdf

But the trick will be, finding the dual diode on the board.
Using the picture in the manual, I cannot identify a part that
is likely to be the one. Reading the "K45" on top of the part,
does require use of a magnifying glass. This repair will also
test your soldering skills, and will be tougher to do than using
two soldering irons to remove a surface mount resistor or capacitor.

I don't know if Asus will repair this under warranty or not, or whether
they might have a standard repair charge to fix it. As far as I'm
concerned, this "bug" in the hardware design is unacceptable, but
I guess the method they use is cheaper than doing it right.

HTH,
Paul

thanks for you help Paul
the problem was that the motherboard was not getting a ground ,not being
assemble properly using washers underneath the screws