Fixing Drive Letter allocation

I recently installed a new motherboard-- same make, slightly upgraded model.

Prior to the upgrade, I had the following drive letter allocation:

Primary Master Hard Disk (40 GB hard drive) - Drive C
Primary Slave Hard Disk (20 GB hard drive) - Drive D
Secondary Master Hard Disk (DVD-ROM) - Drive E
Secondary Slave Hard Disk (CD-RW) - Drive F
ZIP Drive - Drive G

After the upgrade, the allocation is as follows:

Primary master - Drive C
Secondary Slave - Drive D
Secondary Master - Drive E
ZIP Drive - Drive F
Primary Slave - Drive G

The Primary Slave Drive (20 GB Hard drive) was not immediately recognized when I upgraded the motherboard. I might have had it plugged in improperly. When I had Windows detect the drive, it assigned it the last free letter in the queue.

I know there's a utility in either Windows configuration, or in the DOS Shell, that will let me restore the drive letters to their previous allocations, but I forgot where it is and how to access it. If anyone can tell me where it is and how to call it up, I can take it from there. :)

Thanks,

Alan G.
2 answers Last reply
More about fixing drive letter allocation

    Pretty simple. Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Now go down
    to Disk Management and right click on each partition/drive and choose
    change drive letter. Just change them around until you have what you
    want ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Alan G. wrote:

    > I recently installed a new motherboard-- same make, slightly upgraded model.
    >
    > Prior to the upgrade, I had the following drive letter allocation:
    >
    > Primary Master Hard Disk (40 GB hard drive) - Drive C
    > Primary Slave Hard Disk (20 GB hard drive) - Drive D
    > Secondary Master Hard Disk (DVD-ROM) - Drive E
    > Secondary Slave Hard Disk (CD-RW) - Drive F
    > ZIP Drive - Drive G
    >
    > After the upgrade, the allocation is as follows:
    >
    > Primary master - Drive C
    > Secondary Slave - Drive D
    > Secondary Master - Drive E
    > ZIP Drive - Drive F
    > Primary Slave - Drive G
    >
    > The Primary Slave Drive (20 GB Hard drive) was not immediately recognized when I upgraded the motherboard. I might have had it plugged in improperly. When I had Windows detect the drive, it assigned it the last free letter in the queue.
    >
    > I know there's a utility in either Windows configuration, or in the DOS Shell, that will let me restore the drive letters to their previous allocations, but I forgot where it is and how to access it. If anyone can tell me where it is and how to call it up, I can take it from there. :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan G.

    Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management
    Check under the Disk Management section.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Alan G." <Alan G.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently installed a new motherboard-- same make, slightly upgraded
    model.

    > Prior to the upgrade, I had the following drive letter allocation:
    >
    > Primary Master Hard Disk (40 GB hard drive) - Drive C
    > Primary Slave Hard Disk (20 GB hard drive) - Drive D
    > Secondary Master Hard Disk (DVD-ROM) - Drive E
    > Secondary Slave Hard Disk (CD-RW) - Drive F
    > ZIP Drive - Drive G
    >
    > After the upgrade, the allocation is as follows:
    >
    > Primary master - Drive C
    > Secondary Slave - Drive D
    > Secondary Master - Drive E
    > ZIP Drive - Drive F
    > Primary Slave - Drive G
    >
    > The Primary Slave Drive (20 GB Hard drive) was not immediately recognized
    when I upgraded the motherboard. I might have had it plugged in improperly.
    When I had Windows detect the drive, it assigned it the last free letter in
    the queue.

    > I know there's a utility in either Windows configuration, or in the DOS
    Shell, that will let me restore the drive letters to their previous
    allocations, but I forgot where it is and how to access it. If anyone can
    tell me where it is and how to call it up, I can take it from there. :)

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan G.

Hard Drives Windows XP