Fixing Drive Letter allocation

I recently installed a new motherboard-- same make, slightly upgraded model.

Prior to the upgrade, I had the following drive letter allocation:

Primary Master Hard Disk (40 GB hard drive) - Drive C
Primary Slave Hard Disk (20 GB hard drive) - Drive D
Secondary Master Hard Disk (DVD-ROM) - Drive E
Secondary Slave Hard Disk (CD-RW) - Drive F
ZIP Drive - Drive G

After the upgrade, the allocation is as follows:

Primary master - Drive C
Secondary Slave - Drive D
Secondary Master - Drive E
ZIP Drive - Drive F
Primary Slave - Drive G

The Primary Slave Drive (20 GB Hard drive) was not immediately recognized when I upgraded the motherboard. I might have had it plugged in improperly. When I had Windows detect the drive, it assigned it the last free letter in the queue.

I know there's a utility in either Windows configuration, or in the DOS Shell, that will let me restore the drive letters to their previous allocations, but I forgot where it is and how to access it. If anyone can tell me where it is and how to call it up, I can take it from there. :)

Thanks,

Alan G.

Pretty simple. Right click on My Computer and select Manage. Now go down
to Disk Management and right click on each partition/drive and choose
change drive letter. Just change them around until you have what you
want ;)

Nathan McNulty

Alan G. wrote:

> I recently installed a new motherboard-- same make, slightly upgraded model.
>
> Prior to the upgrade, I had the following drive letter allocation:
>
> Primary Master Hard Disk (40 GB hard drive) - Drive C
> Primary Slave Hard Disk (20 GB hard drive) - Drive D
> Secondary Master Hard Disk (DVD-ROM) - Drive E
> Secondary Slave Hard Disk (CD-RW) - Drive F
> ZIP Drive - Drive G
>
> After the upgrade, the allocation is as follows:
>
> Primary master - Drive C
> Secondary Slave - Drive D
> Secondary Master - Drive E
> ZIP Drive - Drive F
> Primary Slave - Drive G
>
> The Primary Slave Drive (20 GB Hard drive) was not immediately recognized when I upgraded the motherboard. I might have had it plugged in improperly. When I had Windows detect the drive, it assigned it the last free letter in the queue.
>
> I know there's a utility in either Windows configuration, or in the DOS Shell, that will let me restore the drive letters to their previous allocations, but I forgot where it is and how to access it. If anyone can tell me where it is and how to call it up, I can take it from there. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan G.

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management
Check under the Disk Management section.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -