dvd-rom not seeing disk

I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1502 that has stopped responding in WinXP Pro. The drive does not recognize that a disk of any type has been inserted. I have uninstalled the device and let Windows reinstall, but the problem is still the same.

I can see the drive in Explorer, but when I click on the drive letter it says "insert disk" even when a disk is already there. The drive light doesn't even flash as if the computer is checking. When I insert the disk the first time, the drive light flashes as the bay opens and closes, but it doesn't even attempt to spin the disk (which I can normally hear quite clearly).

If the drive was at fault it would seem that either the disk would spin and not be read, or at least that the drive light would flash when the computer tries to find the data. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Josh
1 answer Last reply
More about disk

    I am having somewhat the same problem, with my drive,
    only mine is the IDE CD R/RW 8x4x32 drive. Everytime I
    try to copy to it with Windows Media Player, it says it
    is in use. I've tried multiple new CDs, and nothing
    works. Also have uninstalled and let Windows reinstall,
    same thing. Thanks for any help!

    Julie

DVD Drives Windows XP