A7N8X-VM/400 standby fans off?

Is there a way to turn off the case fan and the power supply fan when
entering standby?
I already set the Suspend Mode to S3 in the BIOS with no luck.

T.i.a.
Rebel without Applause

Paul

Splendid

In article <4a803453.0411100334.707cb5c9@posting.google.com>,
rwa66@hotmail.com (Rebel without Applause) wrote:

> Is there a way to turn off the case fan and the power supply fan when
> entering standby?
> I already set the Suspend Mode to S3 in the BIOS with no luck.
>
> T.i.a.
> Rebel without Applause

Install the OS with the ACPI HAL. You can check this in the Device
Manager. The Computer entry should say "ACPI" and not "Standard PC".
ACPI is necessary for S3 to work.

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win2000/tshoot_hal.htm

You can also use the dumppo.exe utility, to configure the OS
to use S3 for Standby. Dumppo is a command line Microsoft
utility, used to set up S states, if there is some problem with
them. As long as ACPI is installed, and the BIOS has enabled
support for S3 (STR), it should work with the "admin" command.
The utility can do an "admin override", basically repairing
the OS if an ACPI install was done with the BIOS S3 option
turned off.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oemtest/v1.1/WOSTest/Tools/Acpi/dumppo.exe

From a DOS prompt (command window):

dumppo ps cap # This dumps the ACPI object information
# It says whether S1 or S3 are supported
# If S3 is listed as supported, you do not
# need the following command.

dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3 # This admin override, adds S3, as
# long as an ACPI HAL is being used.

The options for dumppo.exe are:

cap power abilities
ps Win32 System power status
bs battery status
admin Admin policy overrides
ac AC power policy
dc DC power policy

The info on dumppo came from the middle of this large web page:
http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:
> In article <4a803453.0411100334.707cb5c9@posting.google.com>,
> rwa66@hotmail.com (Rebel without Applause) wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to turn off the case fan and the power supply fan when
>> entering standby?
>> I already set the Suspend Mode to S3 in the BIOS with no luck.

<Snipped>

> dumppo admin /ac maxsleep=S3 # This admin override, adds S3, as
> # long as an ACPI HAL is being used.
>
> The options for dumppo.exe are:
>
> cap power abilities
> ps Win32 System power status
> bs battery status
> admin Admin policy overrides
> ac AC power policy
> dc DC power policy
>
> The info on dumppo came from the middle of this large web page:
> http://www.bellamyjc.net/fr/windows2000.html
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Hi Paul

When I upgraded my A7V266-E to a A7N8X-E (with S3 being set) I performed a
repair install. Everything worked apart from S3. I tried dumppo admin
minsleep=S3 (in the correct syntax), it did nothing. I wasn't surprised so
did a clean install. I can remember dumppo being mentioned in this NG about
2 yrs ago. Its success was variable IIRC, some got it to work by re-applying
it via a bat file after every boot, others had total success whilst others
didn't.

It's a pity that the only way of guaranteeing success is to set the bios
correctly /before/ installing the OS. I'm not sure if Asus & MS share the
blame but Asus don't help matters by not making S3 On the default!

Regards