Optical intellimouse delays

Hi,
I got an optical intellimouse with a wheel recently, and
I installed the latest software for it. I notice that the
delays associated with the mouse are much longer than
usual, by which I mean tooltips won't appear for a couple
of seconds rather than the normal <1 second, and the same
is true for holding down a scrollbar arrow, you have to
wait for ages. There's no setting in mouse options for
this. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about optical intellimouse delays

    I have a similar problem. When I scroll I don't get one
    line at a time but rather what I would call a wave of the
    entire screen when I use the mouse wheel or the up or
    down button. I have the same mouse and updated the
    software for it. I also can run the ointer over a picture
    and the size of the picture decreases and then returns to
    normal after I move the pointer off of it. I have tried
    about everything I can think of and it's driving me nuts.
    Thanks.

    For both of these, it is the software for the mouse that is causing the
    differences. As for the first problem with the tooltips, it may be that
    the software modified the pause time before Windows shows them. Second,
    the large scrolling can be changed in the Mouse Properties. Third, the
    picture's shrinking on mouse over is rather interesting. I'd like to
    hear a little more about that. When and where does this happen?

    Nathan McNulty

    Nathan McNulty wrote:
    > For both of these, it is the software for the mouse that is causing the
    > differences. As for the first problem with the tooltips, it may be that
    > the software modified the pause time before Windows shows them. Second,
    > the large scrolling can be changed in the Mouse Properties. Third, the
    > picture's shrinking on mouse over is rather interesting. I'd like to
    > hear a little more about that. When and where does this happen?
    >
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >> I have a similar problem. When I scroll I don't get one line at a time
    >> but rather what I would call a wave of the entire screen when I use
    >> the mouse wheel or the up or down button. I have the same mouse and
    >> updated the software for it. I also can run the ointer over a picture
    >> and the size of the picture decreases and then returns to normal after
    >> I move the pointer off of it. I have tried about everything I can
    >> think of and it's driving me nuts. Thanks.

    Also, the fact that the mouse is optical has nothing to do with the software. In fact, the
    software is exactly the same. The optic conversion occurs in the mouse, not the computer.
    Both, a wheeled mouse, and a optical mouse (and, in fact, a wireless mouse) send exactly
    the same information to the computer (and the drivers).

    courtney sends....

    try downloading the logitech mouseware from logitech's support area on their site.

    the mouseware software from logitech seems to be less bug prone when dealing with the scroll wheel of mice. the ms software has a tendancy to detect slight wheel movement back and forth as all one direction or the other and also if the mouse wheel is pushed in it activates the scroll lock function and mouse movement becomes scroll wheel input

    "Courtney" wrote:

    > Nathan McNulty wrote:
    > > For both of these, it is the software for the mouse that is causing the
    > > differences. As for the first problem with the tooltips, it may be that
    > > the software modified the pause time before Windows shows them. Second,
    > > the large scrolling can be changed in the Mouse Properties. Third, the
    > > picture's shrinking on mouse over is rather interesting. I'd like to
    > > hear a little more about that. When and where does this happen?
    > >
    > > Nathan McNulty
    > >
    > > Jim wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have a similar problem. When I scroll I don't get one line at a time
    > >> but rather what I would call a wave of the entire screen when I use
    > >> the mouse wheel or the up or down button. I have the same mouse and
    > >> updated the software for it. I also can run the ointer over a picture
    > >> and the size of the picture decreases and then returns to normal after
    > >> I move the pointer off of it. I have tried about everything I can
    > >> think of and it's driving me nuts. Thanks.

    nathan it's most likely in the picture and fax viewer, the xp default pic viewer and its set to enlarge and shrink an image due to mouse wheel up or down

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > For both of these, it is the software for the mouse that is causing the
    > differences. As for the first problem with the tooltips, it may be that
    > the software modified the pause time before Windows shows them. Second,
    > the large scrolling can be changed in the Mouse Properties. Third, the
    > picture's shrinking on mouse over is rather interesting. I'd like to
    > hear a little more about that. When and where does this happen?
    >
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Jim wrote:
    >
    > > I have a similar problem. When I scroll I don't get one
    > > line at a time but rather what I would call a wave of the
    > > entire screen when I use the mouse wheel or the up or
    > > down button. I have the same mouse and updated the
    > > software for it. I also can run the ointer over a picture
    > > and the size of the picture decreases and then returns to
    > > normal after I move the pointer off of it. I have tried
    > > about everything I can think of and it's driving me nuts.
    > > Thanks.

    Ah, I was thinking on mouse over at websites and such. That makes a lot
    more sense. Thanks :)

    Nathan McNulty

    the dude wrote:
    > nathan it's most likely in the picture and fax viewer, the xp default pic viewer and its set to enlarge and shrink an image due to mouse wheel up or down
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>For both of these, it is the software for the mouse that is causing the
    >>differences. As for the first problem with the tooltips, it may be that
    >>the software modified the pause time before Windows shows them. Second,
    >>the large scrolling can be changed in the Mouse Properties. Third, the
    >>picture's shrinking on mouse over is rather interesting. I'd like to
    >>hear a little more about that. When and where does this happen?
    >>
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>
    >>Jim wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have a similar problem. When I scroll I don't get one
    >>>line at a time but rather what I would call a wave of the
    >>>entire screen when I use the mouse wheel or the up or
    >>>down button. I have the same mouse and updated the
    >>>software for it. I also can run the ointer over a picture
    >>>and the size of the picture decreases and then returns to
    >>>normal after I move the pointer off of it. I have tried
    >>>about everything I can think of and it's driving me nuts.
    >>>Thanks.

    I think he said it was a Microsoft IntelliMouse. Could be wrong though,
    but if it is a MS Optical Mouse, then this would be
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

    Nathan McNulty

    "Nick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I got an optical intellimouse with a wheel recently, and
    > I installed the latest software for it. I notice that the
    > delays associated with the mouse are much longer than
    > usual, by which I mean tooltips won't appear for a couple
    > of seconds rather than the normal <1 second, and the same
    > is true for holding down a scrollbar arrow, you have to
    > wait for ages. There's no setting in mouse options for
    > this. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have experienced the same problem. It disappeared
    when I replaced the mouse with a different brand optical
    mouse.

    It's just Intellipoint 5 that I have installed, and I
    can't find anything in its settings. I even had a look in
    the Registry to no avail. The only options I can find are
    to do with the mouse movement speed and double-click
    speed.

    Nick

    It is an intellimouse, but my problem wasn't the one with
    scroll wheels, that was Jim. I realise it's most likely
    nothing to do with the fact that it's optical. Just the
    fact that it's a new mouse. I was using a Wacom tablet
    and its mouse beforehand, and that was okay.

    In fact I just tried uninstalling the Intellipoint 5
    software and it's okay now, I don't have to hold my mouse
    over things for ages for tooltips and holding the arrow
    on scrollbars. And yet there is no visible option to
    change this. How annoying! At least I don't particularly
    need the Intellipoint software, as I use the default Back
    and Forward behaviours for the side buttons.

    nick

    The settings for how long the Tooltip takes to pop up is actually hidden
    in the registry. That is something that you cannot change without
    special software. I believe this is able to be changed by Windows XP
    Power Toy Tweak UI. You can download and install it from here (look at
    right side near the top-middle):

    Nathan McNulty

Windows XP