A7V880 1394 conflict & manual update

donc

Distinguished
May 24, 2003

I'm posting this just in case any of you run into the same or similar
situation.

I decided to install my IEEE1394 card so I could resume transferring video
from my Sony digital camcorder. It installed properly but wiped out my
6-in-1 USB2 internal card reader. I recalled that I had had similar
problems like that in the past with other MBs --- usually due to IRQ
conflicts. Some cards don't like to share. So I grabbed the manual and
looked for IRQ assignments. Ahh! Right there in the index. Went to the page
and discovered a BLANK table! OK, guess I can download the PDF version of
the manual from the ASUS web site. Sure enough, the data was updated in the
PDF version. PCI slots 1 & 3 have dedicated IRQs. 2, 4 & 5 have shared
IRQs. Switching the card from PCI5 to PCI3 solved the problem.

Three lessons here:
1) If you have a similar problem with the A7V880 and 1394 card, this may
help.
2) Always download the PDF manual for any ASUS MB. My experience is not an
isolated case. Someone here discovered incorrect DIP switch settings for
setting the FSB to 200MHz.
3) If you have problems getting a card to work, try different slots.

Hopefully this can save someone a lot of problems.

Cheers

Thanks.

--
Ed Light