Primary Hard Disc Drive 1 Not Found

July 6, 2004 2:22:01 PM

I created a mess (but I'm learning more each day), and after a week got it going at least, but on boot got messagae "primary hard disc drive 1 not found" which required clicking F1 to continue. I ended up reinstalling XP, got everything up and running, but still have the HD message at each boot. I've passed all of the diagnostics in Set-Up, and found nothing on any of the troubleshooting sites that helped. Set-up says: Primary Drive 0 - Hard Drive; Primary Drive 1 - Unknown Device; Secondary Drives 0 adn 1 are both CD-ROM Readers. Everything works just fine, but I'd like to figure the drive problem. Oh, I had to create a partition for the reinstall - had no choice.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:21:34 PM

Hi, CM.

What does Drive Management say about that HD and the volumes on it?

Even now, 4 years after it first appeared in Win2K, many users still haven't
found Disk Management. One quick way to start it is to type at the Run
prompt: diskmgmt.msc. And the Help file in Disk Management tells us lots
of things about hard drives that earlier Windows versions did not explain.

One thing to note is which HD is Disk 1 and which is Disk 0. HD numbering
starts with zero; partition numbers start with 1 on each HD. Disk
Management will tell you which is the System Partition (almost always Drive
C:, almost always the first primary partition on Drive 0 - but not always),
and which is the Boot Volume (may or may not also be Drive C:) .

If you don't find your answer in Disk Management, post back with further
questions.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"CM" <CM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I created a mess (but I'm learning more each day), and after a week got it
>going at least, but on boot got messagae "primary hard disc drive 1 not
>found" which required clicking F1 to continue. I ended up reinstalling XP,
>got everything up and running, but still have the HD message at each boot.
>I've passed all of the diagnostics in Set-Up, and found nothing on any of
>the troubleshooting sites that helped. Set-up says: Primary Drive 0 -
>Hard Drive; Primary Drive 1 - Unknown Device; Secondary Drives 0 adn 1 are
>both CD-ROM Readers. Everything works just fine, but I'd like to figure
>the drive problem. Oh, I had to create a partition for the reinstall - had
>no choice.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 6:46:08 PM

Ensure a flat cable is connected and oriented properly on the primary Drive
1 and the drive is powered up. Check the Master/Slave jumpers.
November 30, 2008 5:37:00 PM

I discovered why Alt F, Alt E, Alt B solves the "Primary Drive 1 Not Found" problem. It resets the BIOS to the default. However, what is really wrong is that the Secondary or Slave (HardDrive 1) is set to NONE in the BIOS when it should be set to OFF!!
!