HP Deskjet 5550 driver and USB problem

I just bought a used Sony Vaio running windows ME. Am trying to install an
HP Deskjet 5550 printer using USB connection.
#1 - when I plug in the USB cord the computer does not come up with the
normal message of recognizing a new device.
#2 - I downloaded the printer driver (5550-enu-win9x_me.exe) from the HP
site. When I click on this to run it, it displays "LOADING" and then does
nothing else. I try clicking on the "setup.exe" program, and it does
nothing.

I have gone to Add/Remove programs and removed all the HP stuff and also
removed from the Registry. I plugged another device into the USB port and
it was recognized. I plugged the printer using the same USB cord into
another computer and it was recognized.
Any ideas?
2
answers
Last reply
More about deskjet 5550 driver problem

    WHy would you buy a Sony Vaio ?
    Commercials made you?

    HAHAH

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 08:14:08 -0700, "Larry Wade" <larry@wade2.com>
    wrote:

    >I just bought a used Sony Vaio running windows ME. Am trying to install an
    >HP Deskjet 5550 printer using USB connection.
    >#1 - when I plug in the USB cord the computer does not come up with the
    >normal message of recognizing a new device.

    Have you tried powering up the printer and then turning on the
    computer?

    >#2 - I downloaded the printer driver (5550-enu-win9x_me.exe) from the HP
    >site. When I click on this to run it, it displays "LOADING" and then does
    >nothing else. I try clicking on the "setup.exe" program, and it does
    >nothing.
    >
    >I have gone to Add/Remove programs and removed all the HP stuff and also
    >removed from the Registry. I plugged another device into the USB port and
    >it was recognized. I plugged the printer using the same USB cord into
    >another computer and it was recognized.
    >Any ideas?

Printers Hewlett Packard USB Peripherals