HP Deskjet 5550 driver and USB problem

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
May 5, 2004 12:14:08 PM

I just bought a used Sony Vaio running windows ME. Am trying to install an
HP Deskjet 5550 printer using USB connection.
#1 - when I plug in the USB cord the computer does not come up with the
normal message of recognizing a new device.
#2 - I downloaded the printer driver (5550-enu-win9x_me.exe) from the HP
site. When I click on this to run it, it displays "LOADING" and then does
nothing else. I try clicking on the "setup.exe" program, and it does
nothing.

I have gone to Add/Remove programs and removed all the HP stuff and also
removed from the Registry. I plugged another device into the USB port and
it was recognized. I plugged the printer using the same USB cord into
another computer and it was recognized.
Any ideas?
May 6, 2004 5:41:12 AM

WHy would you buy a Sony Vaio ?
Commercials made you?

HAHAH

"Larry Wade" <larry@wade2.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a used Sony Vaio running windows ME. Am trying to install
an
> HP Deskjet 5550 printer using USB connection.
> #1 - when I plug in the USB cord the computer does not come up with the
> normal message of recognizing a new device.
> #2 - I downloaded the printer driver (5550-enu-win9x_me.exe) from the HP
> site. When I click on this to run it, it displays "LOADING" and then does
> nothing else. I try clicking on the "setup.exe" program, and it does
> nothing.
>
> I have gone to Add/Remove programs and removed all the HP stuff and also
> removed from the Registry. I plugged another device into the USB port and
> it was recognized. I plugged the printer using the same USB cord into
> another computer and it was recognized.
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
a b α HP
May 6, 2004 10:15:06 AM

On Wed, 5 May 2004 08:14:08 -0700, "Larry Wade" <larry@wade2.com>
wrote:

>I just bought a used Sony Vaio running windows ME. Am trying to install an
>HP Deskjet 5550 printer using USB connection.
>#1 - when I plug in the USB cord the computer does not come up with the
>normal message of recognizing a new device.

Have you tried powering up the printer and then turning on the
computer?

!