Wireless Connection Drops

I'm having a problem where I loose my Wireless connections shortly after
connecting to it.
ps. I'm a Wireless Rookie

The only way I can make it come back is to go through the following:

Network Connections
right click on Wireless Network connection
Properties
Wireless Networks
Check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
settings"

I would have thought that once I checked this box, this would stay forever.
If we restart the computer, or If we switch users on the computer (XP),
I have to repeat this process.
I have not turned any Security on, and am waiting until I get this problem
fixed first.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

It's real annoying

Netgear Wireless Router and Desktop PC Card
Windows XP
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection drops

    Bruce wrote:

    > I'm having a problem where I loose my Wireless connections shortly
    > after connecting to it.
    > ps. I'm a Wireless Rookie
    >
    > The only way I can make it come back is to go through the following:
    >
    > Network Connections
    > right click on Wireless Network connection
    > Properties
    > Wireless Networks
    > Check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    > settings"
    >
    > I would have thought that once I checked this box, this would stay
    > forever. If we restart the computer, or If we switch users on the
    > computer (XP), I have to repeat this process.
    > I have not turned any Security on, and am waiting until I get this
    > problem fixed first.
    >
    > Any Help would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > It's real annoying
    >
    > Netgear Wireless Router and Desktop PC Card
    > Windows XP

    Here are a few things to try:

    1. Make sure that the wireless adapter is not set to use power
    management features. Go to its entry in Device Manager and double-click
    it to get its Properties. Now look on the Power Management tab and make
    sure allowing Windows to turn off the device is not checked.

    2. Update the drivers for the wireless adapter from the mftr.'s website.

    3. Check on Netgear's website for your particular router model and see
    if there are any known issues and if you have to update the firmware.

    4. When you installed the wireless adapter, it probably came with a
    wireless management program. Start that program and look in its
    Preferences. If there is a place to check "allow Windows to manage
    wireless connections", make sure you've done that.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Perhaps this will help?

    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem where I loose my Wireless connections shortly after
    > connecting to it.
    > ps. I'm a Wireless Rookie
    >
    > The only way I can make it come back is to go through the following:
    >
    > Network Connections
    > right click on Wireless Network connection
    > Properties
    > Wireless Networks
    > Check the box that says "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
    > settings"
    >
    > I would have thought that once I checked this box, this would stay
    forever.
    > If we restart the computer, or If we switch users on the computer (XP),
    > I have to repeat this process.
    > I have not turned any Security on, and am waiting until I get this problem
    > fixed first.
    >
    > Any Help would be greatly appreciated
    >
    > It's real annoying
    >
    > Netgear Wireless Router and Desktop PC Card
    > Windows XP

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking