my modem isnt being recognised after new XP install

i know this has probably been done like a hundred times
before but this is really irritating me now could someone
give me a hand? thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about modem isnt recognised install

    Did you bother to run the compatibility tests before you
    upgraded? Not all hardware will work with XP. Not all
    software works with XP.
    You can look for XP drivers for your modem and install those
    if you find them. You can try uninstalling the modem using
    device manager and rebooting. If you did an upgrade, it is
    possible that your old drivers were not replaced.

    In the worst case, your modem may be totally not compatible,
    buy a new modem for just a few dollars and you'll be happy
    with the V.92 standard.

    "modulator" <problemhaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message news:2811f01c4637f$db2a10a0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    | i know this has probably been done like a hundred times
    | before but this is really irritating me now could someone
    | give me a hand? thanks!

    Hi

    Try replacing the modem witha different brand.

    modulator wrote:

    > i know this has probably been done like a hundred times
    > before but this is really irritating me now could someone
    > give me a hand? thanks!

    Seriously, give the man some help. What modem is it exactly? Post a
    follow up to this with the brand name and model if you have it and I
    will find the drivers for you ;) Also, have you tried installing the
    software that came with it or looked on the maker's website for new
    drivers.

    Here is my RANT: Most hardware is compatible with Windows XP. Why would
    he buy a new modem if he already has one? That would be a waste of
    money considering he may have the exact same problem with that one that
    he is having with this one.

    Nathan McNulty

    Jim Macklin wrote:

    > Did you bother to run the compatibility tests before you
    > upgraded? Not all hardware will work with XP. Not all
    > software works with XP.
    > You can look for XP drivers for your modem and install those
    > if you find them. You can try uninstalling the modem using
    > device manager and rebooting. If you did an upgrade, it is
    > possible that your old drivers were not replaced.
    >
    > In the worst case, your modem may be totally not compatible,
    > buy a new modem for just a few dollars and you'll be happy
    > with the V.92 standard.

    I think you missed my suggestions that were the same as
    yours, except I didn't offer to do his research for him.

    "Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
    | Seriously, give the man some help. What modem is it
    exactly? Post a
    | follow up to this with the brand name and model if you
    have it and I
    | will find the drivers for you ;) Also, have you tried
    installing the
    | software that came with it or looked on the maker's
    website for new
    | drivers.
    |
    | Here is my RANT: Most hardware is compatible with Windows
    XP. Why would
    | he buy a new modem if he already has one? That would be a
    waste of
    | money considering he may have the exact same problem with
    that one that
    | he is having with this one.
    |
    | Nathan McNulty
    |
    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    |
    | > Did you bother to run the compatibility tests before you
    | > upgraded? Not all hardware will work with XP. Not all
    | > software works with XP.
    | > You can look for XP drivers for your modem and install
    those
    | > if you find them. You can try uninstalling the modem
    using
    | > device manager and rebooting. If you did an upgrade, it
    is
    | > possible that your old drivers were not replaced.
    | >
    | > In the worst case, your modem may be totally not
    compatible,
    | > buy a new modem for just a few dollars and you'll be
    happy
    | > with the V.92 standard.

    I am sorry, was actually giving the guy from first reply of get a
    different brand a hard time :). I honestly didn't mean to offend you.
    Also, very few pieces of hardware don't work with Windows XP especially
    since there is compatibility mode which we may have to resort to if XP
    drivers don't exist ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Jim Macklin wrote:

    > I think you missed my suggestions that were the same as
    > yours, except I didn't offer to do his research for him.

    No problem, no offense taken.

    | I am sorry, was actually giving the guy from first reply
    of get a
    | different brand a hard time :). I honestly didn't mean to
    offend you.
    | Also, very few pieces of hardware don't work with Windows
    XP especially
    | since there is compatibility mode which we may have to
    resort to if XP
    | drivers don't exist ;)
    |
    | Nathan McNulty
    |
    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    |
    | > I think you missed my suggestions that were the same as
    | > yours, except I didn't offer to do his research for him.

Modem Microsoft Windows XP