my modem isnt being recognised after new XP install

i know this has probably been done like a hundred times
before but this is really irritating me now could someone
give me a hand? thanks!

Did you bother to run the compatibility tests before you
upgraded? Not all hardware will work with XP. Not all
software works with XP.
You can look for XP drivers for your modem and install those
if you find them. You can try uninstalling the modem using
device manager and rebooting. If you did an upgrade, it is
possible that your old drivers were not replaced.

In the worst case, your modem may be totally not compatible,
buy a new modem for just a few dollars and you'll be happy
with the V.92 standard.

"modulator" <problemhaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:2811f01c4637f$db2a10a0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| i know this has probably been done like a hundred times
| before but this is really irritating me now could someone
| give me a hand? thanks!

Hi

Try replacing the modem witha different brand.

modulator wrote:

> i know this has probably been done like a hundred times
> before but this is really irritating me now could someone
> give me a hand? thanks!

Seriously, give the man some help. What modem is it exactly? Post a
follow up to this with the brand name and model if you have it and I
will find the drivers for you ;) Also, have you tried installing the
software that came with it or looked on the maker's website for new
drivers.

Here is my RANT: Most hardware is compatible with Windows XP. Why would
he buy a new modem if he already has one? That would be a waste of
money considering he may have the exact same problem with that one that
he is having with this one.

Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Did you bother to run the compatibility tests before you
> upgraded? Not all hardware will work with XP. Not all
> software works with XP.
> You can look for XP drivers for your modem and install those
> if you find them. You can try uninstalling the modem using
> device manager and rebooting. If you did an upgrade, it is
> possible that your old drivers were not replaced.
>
> In the worst case, your modem may be totally not compatible,
> buy a new modem for just a few dollars and you'll be happy
> with the V.92 standard.

I think you missed my suggestions that were the same as
yours, except I didn't offer to do his research for him.

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
| Seriously, give the man some help. What modem is it
exactly? Post a
| follow up to this with the brand name and model if you
have it and I
| will find the drivers for you ;) Also, have you tried
installing the
| software that came with it or looked on the maker's
website for new
| drivers.
|
| Here is my RANT: Most hardware is compatible with Windows
XP. Why would
| he buy a new modem if he already has one? That would be a
waste of
| money considering he may have the exact same problem with
that one that
| he is having with this one.
|
| Nathan McNulty
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > Did you bother to run the compatibility tests before you
| > upgraded? Not all hardware will work with XP. Not all
| > software works with XP.
| > You can look for XP drivers for your modem and install
those
| > if you find them. You can try uninstalling the modem
using
| > device manager and rebooting. If you did an upgrade, it
is
| > possible that your old drivers were not replaced.
| >
| > In the worst case, your modem may be totally not
compatible,
| > buy a new modem for just a few dollars and you'll be
happy
| > with the V.92 standard.

I am sorry, was actually giving the guy from first reply of get a
different brand a hard time :). I honestly didn't mean to offend you.
Also, very few pieces of hardware don't work with Windows XP especially
since there is compatibility mode which we may have to resort to if XP
drivers don't exist ;)

Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:

> I think you missed my suggestions that were the same as
> yours, except I didn't offer to do his research for him.

No problem, no offense taken.