K8V SE Ultra Deluxe - discontinued?

Hi,

My son has just taken delivery of a PC he had built to spec. He intends this
to be used for gameplay only. He ordered the K8VSE Ultra Deluxe M/B and
received the K8V-X. The supplier claims the requested board is no longer
available (as the wi-fi was too expensive) and the K8V-X is now the best
thing since sliced bread. Is this true ? I can find no such information on
any ASUS site. If the supplier is correct then so be it. If not, my son
wants his money back or the board he ordered.

Is the supplier correct?
Any input welcome.

Paul

Splendid

In article <2vgv88F2mku4eU1@uni-berlin.de>, "gandalf"
<gandalf@hascancelledlastaddress.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My son has just taken delivery of a PC he had built to spec. He intends this
> to be used for gameplay only. He ordered the K8VSE Ultra Deluxe M/B and
> received the K8V-X. The supplier claims the requested board is no longer
> available (as the wi-fi was too expensive) and the K8V-X is now the best
> thing since sliced bread. Is this true ? I can find no such information on
> any ASUS site. If the supplier is correct then so be it. If not, my son
> wants his money back or the board he ordered.
>
> Is the supplier correct?
> Any input welcome.

Both boards are listed on Newegg.com .
K8V SE Deluxe for $118 and K8V-X for $84.
A search on Pricewatch will show you the relative number
of listings of each. There are about twice as many K8V-X
listings as K8V SE Deluxe.

Your supplier could always buy the necessary board from
Newegg and live up to his end of the bargain. Or maybe
change whatever advertising he has, to match the cheaper
board he wants to use.

It is too bad that docs like the following are not updated
monthly, as otherwise you could use this as evidence.

http://usa.asus.com/wheretobuy/SKUs/Motherboard_SKUs.pdf

Paul

Blueberry

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Your supplier is NOT correct. This K8V-X is lacking the Promise RAID controler
chip.
The wi-fi supplied (not with all versions) was outdated.
You can still buy the K8VSE De Luxe with the Promise chip and without the wi-fi.
If you want wi-fi, just buy a PCI card.