repair xp pro install after upgrading motherboard

kirk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

Sorry if this got posted twice, or cross posted. using a borrowed computer
to post thru comcast, and i cant find my previous post.

Help, I just installed a new motherboard a MSI K8T /w AMD Athlon 64 3000
cpu.

Previously I was using a MSI KT6 board with a AMD Athlon 2500 barton core
cpu.

Hardware is
Hitachi 160 gig & 120 gig SATA drives ( boot is 160 )
OS is Windows XP Pro
Video is ATI AIW 9000
Sound card is Soundblaster Live 5.1
Pioneer DVD Rom
Sony DVD +/- DVD/DVDRW

after setting up the system, i booted from the windows xp cd. skipped the
repair console, accepted the EULA, choose to repair previous windows
installation.

The installation copies the files, reboots, does the install stuff, enter
the license key, then it continues.

soon i get errors that it cant find files on the xp cd, all the 'DLL' files,
listed as 'DL_.'

my guess is that it is not able to open the 'dll' file extension as 'dl_'. i
have never had this problem before ( i am a constant upgrader, about every
six months ).

need help, can't bear the thought of having to do a clean install right now.
need somthing quick to get me back up and running.

Thanks in advance

Kirk

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"kirk" <ibuseless@comcast.net> wrote in message:

| Sorry if this got posted twice, or cross posted. using a borrowed computer
| to post thru comcast, and i cant find my previous post.
|
| Help, I just installed a new motherboard a MSI K8T /w AMD Athlon 64 3000
| cpu.
|
| Previously I was using a MSI KT6 board with a AMD Athlon 2500 barton core
| cpu.
|
| Hardware is
| Hitachi 160 gig & 120 gig SATA drives ( boot is 160 )
| OS is Windows XP Pro
| Video is ATI AIW 9000
| Sound card is Soundblaster Live 5.1
| Pioneer DVD Rom
| Sony DVD +/- DVD/DVDRW
|
| after setting up the system, i booted from the windows xp cd. skipped the
| repair console, accepted the EULA, choose to repair previous windows
| installation.
|
| The installation copies the files, reboots, does the install stuff, enter
| the license key, then it continues.
|
| soon i get errors that it cant find files on the xp cd, all the 'DLL' files,
| listed as 'DL_.'
|
| my guess is that it is not able to open the 'dll' file extension as 'dl_'. i
| have never had this problem before ( i am a constant upgrader, about every
| six months ).
|
| need help, can't bear the thought of having to do a clean install right now.
| need somthing quick to get me back up and running.
|
| Thanks in advance
|
| Kirk

kirk

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2002

thanks, but i tried that. when windows starts after the repair, it can't
read the '.dll's' from the xp cd that are stored as '.dl_.'s that is the
problem, and i can't figure out how to get xp pro to read them. have done
this before with other systems, but never had this problem.

TRENDING THREADS