Spastic Mouse

Mike

Splendid

This question has probably been asked many times and here
it is again. Is there any solution for the spastic mouse
in XP? It keeps dropping to the toolbar on the bottom of
the page, at the wrong time, and has become very
annoying. Drivers are current and the mouse is new.

is the mouse optical?

if so try a different surface to mouse on. some mouse pads or light wood grains cause havoc with optical mice.

is the mouse a ball type?

turn the little retainer plate in the direction indicated on the bottom of the mouse (the plate surrounding the ball that holds it inside the mouse) to remove it and the ball. then on the rods inside the mouse that the ball would rest against...
see any grey? if so with you fingernail running along the long way of the rollers/rods can you remove linty type material? remove all of it... this is old lint/dirt/skin/oil from your mouse pad/desk surface gummed up on the inside.

just lightly scrape/scratch off the detritous using your fingernail and rotating the rods slightly and repeating till clean. make sure to do all three rollers inside the mouse. turn over with ball still off and tap the mouse lightly on a spongy surface...
back side of mouse pad works great for this as the frontside is where you don't want the gunk the mouse picks up to be at again to pick up again.

also clean your mouse pad. turn it over and whack it over a flat object to try to dislodge any extra loose particles in the material side.

do not use isopropyl alcohol on the mouse pad, it will eat the bonding glue that holds the cloth material to the wet-suit like rubber material that forms the backing

"mike" wrote:

> This question has probably been asked many times and here
> it is again. Is there any solution for the spastic mouse
> in XP? It keeps dropping to the toolbar on the bottom of
> the page, at the wrong time, and has become very
> annoying. Drivers are current and the mouse is new.

What are your mouse settings? Do you mean the mouse moves itself to the
bottom of the screen? Have you tried older drivers as well?

Nathan McNulty

mike wrote:

> This question has probably been asked many times and here
> it is again. Is there any solution for the spastic mouse
> in XP? It keeps dropping to the toolbar on the bottom of
> the page, at the wrong time, and has become very
> annoying. Drivers are current and the mouse is new.

There are known issues with laptop mice ... and there is
the "new" issue with laser (wireless) mice and an
apparent intrusion control posted 7/6. I really do forget
where I saw it, but I think there is something in the
documantation that comes with the keyboard/mouse that
provides a URL or other direction for your spastic mouse
problem (but not the wireless mouse out of control
problem).

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. tHE CURSOR GETS A LIFE OF IT'S
OWN AND MOVES TO THE TOP OR BOTOM OF THE PAGE. DRIVING ME
NUTS!

Hint: The Cap Lock button is to the left of the letter A. I'm still
trying to figure out when the mouse does this and what kind of settings
you have on it. Also, you may want to disable the "snap to" command.
This is all in the Mouse Properties ;)

Nathan McNulty