ACPI 2-Question

Hi NG,

i have an K8N-E (Bios 1006).

Is it good to enable ACPI 2 (in Bios)???

I use WinXP Home.

Thanks for Helping:)
Joerg

Joerg Heinrich wrote:
> Hi NG,
>
> i have an K8N-E (Bios 1006).
>
> Is it good to enable ACPI 2 (in Bios)???
>
> I use WinXP Home.
>
> Thanks for Helping:)
> Joerg

Presuming this is the S3 ACPI mode then yes. ACPI comprises of various
states of the CPU such as being full speed, throttled back, standby (S3) &
hibernate (S5). A modern OS such as XP has fairly reliable Power Management
& is usually worth enabling IMO.

S3 mode should be completely silent, ie, fans off, disc drives powered down,
some PCI cards in standby, others off & the CPU in sleep mode with the RAM's
content still being refreshed. When an event such as moving the mouse,
pressing a key or possibly even pressing the scan button on a scanner will
wake the PC. I have my A7N8X-E to enter Standby mode automatically after
20mins.

The big problem is that once an OS such as XP has already been installed,
more often than not enabling S3 in the bios afterwards doesn't work - the
fans won't power off so becomes rather pointless. Sometimes, a MS utility
called dumppo.exe (do a Google search) can fix this but by no means always.
The sure-fire way to get S3 working correctly is to clean install XP onto a
newly formatted partition (a repair install won't usually work. Why Asus
don't enable this as the default is beyond my understanding.

Related to S3 standby mode are many m/b jumper settings that allow pairs of
USB ports &/or the PS/2 keyboard mouse to remain powered from the 5VSB
supply that remains on during S3, unlike the main 5V supply that gets
switched off as does the 12V supply. One way to ease a clean install of XP
is to run FAST (Files & Settings Transfer Wizard) before reinstalling then
rerunning it on the clean installation to recover many of the OS settings &
even a few 3rd party app's settings as well. The same can be done for MS
Office settings.

Regards

"Joerg Heinrich" <news@lomosoft.de> wrote in message
> Hi NG,
>
> i have an K8N-E (Bios 1006).
>
> Is it good to enable ACPI 2 (in Bios)???
>
> I use WinXP Home.
>
> Thanks for Helping:)
> Joerg

Don't know what the specs are for ACPI-2 but if your going
to use Cool-n-quiet the instructions say to enable it.

Jim M

Paul

Splendid

In article <2vjedsF2lnikaU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Joerg Heinrich"
<news@lomosoft.de> wrote:

> Hi NG,
>
> i have an K8N-E (Bios 1006).
>
> Is it good to enable ACPI 2 (in Bios)???
>
> I use WinXP Home.
>
> Thanks for Helping:)
> Joerg

Probably.

You can download the specs here:

http://www.acpi.info/

Version 2 of the spec, has room for more BIOS tables.
If you compare the version 2 spec to the version 1,
it looks like there is more room for power management
info, and that is a good thing. I think I would
enable this, with WinXP.

HTH,
Paul

Joerg Heinrich wrote:
> Hi NG,
>
> i have an K8N-E (Bios 1006).
>
> Is it good to enable ACPI 2 (in Bios)???
>
> I use WinXP Home.
>
> Thanks for Helping:)
> Joerg

Sorry - jumped the gun on this one :) The specs for ACPI-2 aren't that
digestible. Googling wasn't much help either - I couldn't find out what
support XP has for ACPI-2 for example. I have seen one post where disabling
it solved a problem on a Dell PC (Pentium).
Some sites on ACPI:
http://www.acpi.info/
http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/
I would go with the other replies. Asus may have put that option in more or
less exclusively for C&Q to work. ACPI-2 = extended feature set & probably
bug fixes over previous versions.

Regards