I'm considering an A64 socket 939 chip and motherboard combo. My experience
with the NForce2 chipset is causing me to lean toward the NForce3 Pro 250
GB chipset. It appears that Asus restricts me to Socket 754 if I want an
NVidia chipset and only offers a Socket 939 board with the VIA K8 T800 Pro
chipset.
So, what are your experiences with Socket 939, and has VIA caught up with
NVidia in reliability/performance, or should I wait (assuming, of course,
that Asus will eventually give us a Socket 939/NVidia combo).
Or, go with Socket 754?

Hi, if you think you might be wanting to upgrade the CPU in year to two
years time then go with the 939. If you aren't then the 754 should be fine.
Chris C
"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
> I'm considering an A64 socket 939 chip and motherboard combo. My
> experience
> with the NForce2 chipset is causing me to lean toward the NForce3 Pro 250
> GB chipset. It appears that Asus restricts me to Socket 754 if I want an
> NVidia chipset and only offers a Socket 939 board with the VIA K8 T800 Pro
> chipset.
> So, what are your experiences with Socket 939, and has VIA caught up with
> NVidia in reliability/performance, or should I wait (assuming, of course,
> that Asus will eventually give us a Socket 939/NVidia combo).
> Or, go with Socket 754?

I bought a 754 board with the nForce 3 250 and I think it's great. But I do
think that my upgrade options are going to be somewhat limited since it
appears that the fastest 754 CPU is currently a 3700+ (while the 939 has the
FX 55 and the 4000+). That may change in the future, but if you're likely
to upgrade your CPU in the next year or so I'd go with 939.

If I hadn't needed a board right away (old system board on my Athlon XP
died, so I upgraded to an Athlon 64) I would have waited until late November
or early December, as the new 939 board with the nForce 4 chipsets are just
beginning to come out. These boards have PCI Express slots, and that looks
to be the future of video cards. Right now you can get a GeForce 6600
series on PCI-E for $200 or less, which provides far better performance than
any AGP card you could get for the same price.

Honestly, if you are looking to upgrade your system I would hold out another
month if at all possible. We're right in the middle of a shift from socket
754 and AGP to socket 939 and PCI-E, and not only will there be a notable
performance difference, the new stuff will be more upgradeable in the
future.

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
> I'm considering an A64 socket 939 chip and motherboard combo. My
> experience
> with the NForce2 chipset is causing me to lean toward the NForce3 Pro 250
> GB chipset. It appears that Asus restricts me to Socket 754 if I want an
> NVidia chipset and only offers a Socket 939 board with the VIA K8 T800 Pro
> chipset.
> So, what are your experiences with Socket 939, and has VIA caught up with
> NVidia in reliability/performance, or should I wait (assuming, of course,
> that Asus will eventually give us a Socket 939/NVidia combo).
> Or, go with Socket 754?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wait for about 2 weeks. The nForce4 boards for the 939 are on its way.

I would not rec sticking with the 754. it is outdated already. AMD said it
will vanish as for the 939 is just rising.

Frank

Ed

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:59:35 +0100, "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote:

>I would not rec sticking with the 754. it is outdated already. AMD said it
>will vanish as for the 939 is just rising.
>

>Frank

Unless the Sempron gets a pin change soon Socket-754 boards will be
around for at least another 2 years, getting a high-end CPU for a 754
board in the future may be a problem though.

Ed

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Unless the Sempron gets a pin change soon Socket-754 boards will be
> around for at least another 2 years, getting a high-end CPU for a 754
> board in the future may be a problem though.
>
> Ed

And that last sentence is the problem. I´m not using Sempron or Duron or any
kind of those cpus. So if you want to use the high end ones you will soon be
stuck. But that is my sole opinion. Didn´t want to offend anyone.

TRENDING THREADS