A64 Motherboard Choices?

I'm considering an A64 socket 939 chip and motherboard combo. My experience
with the NForce2 chipset is causing me to lean toward the NForce3 Pro 250
GB chipset. It appears that Asus restricts me to Socket 754 if I want an
NVidia chipset and only offers a Socket 939 board with the VIA K8 T800 Pro
chipset.
So, what are your experiences with Socket 939, and has VIA caught up with
NVidia in reliability/performance, or should I wait (assuming, of course,
that Asus will eventually give us a Socket 939/NVidia combo).
Or, go with Socket 754?
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard choices

    Hi, if you think you might be wanting to upgrade the CPU in year to two
    years time then go with the 939. If you aren't then the 754 should be fine.
    Chris C
    "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
    > I'm considering an A64 socket 939 chip and motherboard combo. My
    > experience
    > with the NForce2 chipset is causing me to lean toward the NForce3 Pro 250
    > GB chipset. It appears that Asus restricts me to Socket 754 if I want an
    > NVidia chipset and only offers a Socket 939 board with the VIA K8 T800 Pro
    > chipset.
    > So, what are your experiences with Socket 939, and has VIA caught up with
    > NVidia in reliability/performance, or should I wait (assuming, of course,
    > that Asus will eventually give us a Socket 939/NVidia combo).
    > Or, go with Socket 754?

    I bought a 754 board with the nForce 3 250 and I think it's great. But I do
    think that my upgrade options are going to be somewhat limited since it
    appears that the fastest 754 CPU is currently a 3700+ (while the 939 has the
    FX 55 and the 4000+). That may change in the future, but if you're likely
    to upgrade your CPU in the next year or so I'd go with 939.

    If I hadn't needed a board right away (old system board on my Athlon XP
    died, so I upgraded to an Athlon 64) I would have waited until late November
    or early December, as the new 939 board with the nForce 4 chipsets are just
    beginning to come out. These boards have PCI Express slots, and that looks
    to be the future of video cards. Right now you can get a GeForce 6600
    series on PCI-E for $200 or less, which provides far better performance than
    any AGP card you could get for the same price.

    Honestly, if you are looking to upgrade your system I would hold out another
    month if at all possible. We're right in the middle of a shift from socket
    754 and AGP to socket 939 and PCI-E, and not only will there be a notable
    performance difference, the new stuff will be more upgradeable in the
    future.

    "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
    > I'm considering an A64 socket 939 chip and motherboard combo. My
    > experience
    > with the NForce2 chipset is causing me to lean toward the NForce3 Pro 250
    > GB chipset. It appears that Asus restricts me to Socket 754 if I want an
    > NVidia chipset and only offers a Socket 939 board with the VIA K8 T800 Pro
    > chipset.
    > So, what are your experiences with Socket 939, and has VIA caught up with
    > NVidia in reliability/performance, or should I wait (assuming, of course,
    > that Asus will eventually give us a Socket 939/NVidia combo).
    > Or, go with Socket 754?

    Wait for about 2 weeks. The nForce4 boards for the 939 are on its way.

    I would not rec sticking with the 754. it is outdated already. AMD said it
    will vanish as for the 939 is just rising.

    Frank

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:59:35 +0100, "Frank" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote:

    >I would not rec sticking with the 754. it is outdated already. AMD said it
    >will vanish as for the 939 is just rising.
    >

    >Frank

    Unless the Sempron gets a pin change soon Socket-754 boards will be
    around for at least another 2 years, getting a high-end CPU for a 754
    board in the future may be a problem though.

    Ed

    > Unless the Sempron gets a pin change soon Socket-754 boards will be
    > around for at least another 2 years, getting a high-end CPU for a 754
    > board in the future may be a problem though.
    >
    > Ed

    And that last sentence is the problem. I´m not using Sempron or Duron or any
    kind of those cpus. So if you want to use the high end ones you will soon be
    stuck. But that is my sole opinion. Didn´t want to offend anyone.

Asus Chipsets Socket Motherboards Nvidia