mounting a floppy

how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
it compatible with previous versions of windows?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by mount a floppy. If you migrated
from Linux, there is no need to mount the device, it should show up in
My Computer. You should be able to access it by double clicking on A:
(Floppy Drive). As for compression, Windows XP supports different types
of compression and many other programs can be installed to support what
Windows XP doesn't support natively ;)

Nathan McNulty

Kevin wrote:

> how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
> space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
> it compatible with previous versions of windows?

You can not use a DriveSpace compressed floppy. DriveSpace has been
discontinued since Windows 98.

"Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
> space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
> it compatible with previous versions of windows?

If it's Win98 DriveSpace you're talking about, there is no support in WinXp
fot it. If you need to read from that disk, you have to find a Win98 machine
and copy the data to an uncompressed diskette.....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
> space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
> it compatible with previous versions of windows?

This may be a really naive question, but would it be possible to load Windows
98 on my current computer (9 months old) and then run drvspace. I too have
compress zip disks that I want to read.

"Thomas Wendell" wrote:

> If it's Win98 DriveSpace you're talking about, there is no support in WinXp
> fot it. If you need to read from that disk, you have to find a Win98 machine
> and copy the data to an uncompressed diskette.....
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
> > space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
> > it compatible with previous versions of windows?

Carl

Yes you can dual boot your machine with XP & 98.

--
Carl
"R. Thomas Berner" <RThomasBerner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> This may be a really naive question, but would it be possible to load
Windows
> 98 on my current computer (9 months old) and then run drvspace. I too have
> compress zip disks that I want to read.
>
> "Thomas Wendell" wrote:
>
> > If it's Win98 DriveSpace you're talking about, there is no support in
WinXp
> > fot it. If you need to read from that disk, you have to find a Win98
machine
> > and copy the data to an uncompressed diskette.....
> >

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
> >

> > "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > > how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
> > > space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
> > > it compatible with previous versions of windows?

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

Can I open Drivespace with windows XP?

You can not but what you could do is create a bootable floppy that was
created with Win98. The floppy must contain DRVSPACE.BIN that is normally
placed there automatically with format /s. On the boot floppy create text
file called DRVSPACE.INI and insert following line in it:

ActivateDrive=P,B0

Assuming that your compressed disk is a floppy disk and you have one or two
floppy disk drives then the above line will be correct. If your compressed
drive is on hard disk or other media then you need the change the drive
letter from B to the corresponding letter:

ActivateDrive=P,E0

Once booted, you can access your compressed drive normal ways. If the
compression used was Drivespace 2 then you can read/write to this drive. If
the compression used was Drivespace 3 then do not attempt to write to it.
The letter P in the above line represents the drive letter that will be
assigned to the noncompressed portion of the drive. If you already have
drive P then you should change it to any letter that is not in use.
The number after the source drive B0 represents the number found in the name
of the compressed image. So if the image name is DRVSPACE.000 then B0 is
used, if the name is DRVSPACE.003 then B3 must be used.

To access DriveSpace compressed floppy with only one floppy drive available,
after booting type B: <return>, you will be prompted to change the diskette.

--
Pavel

"R. Thomas Berner" <RThomasBerner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:482979B3-7449-47D5-9125-0B8129ED8AAD@microsoft.com...
> This may be a really naive question, but would it be possible to load
> Windows
> 98 on my current computer (9 months old) and then run drvspace. I too have
> compress zip disks that I want to read.
>
> "Thomas Wendell" wrote:
>
>> If it's Win98 DriveSpace you're talking about, there is no support in
>> WinXp
>> fot it. If you need to read from that disk, you have to find a Win98
>> machine
>> and copy the data to an uncompressed diskette.....
>>

>> --
>> Tumppi
>> Reply to group
>> Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
>> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
>> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>>

>> "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
>> > how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
>> > space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
>> > it compatible with previous versions of windows?

Is your HD formatted for NTFS? If so, forget about installing W98. Or, you
can do it, but it requires deleting the partition, creating a new one
(preferably two, one for W98 and one for WXP), installing both (first W98,
then XP) to get a dual boot system

If the disk format is FAT32, it is doable, but I don't remember how..
(I think it was install W98 in own directory (NOT Windows), booting from XP
CP and running RepairConsole, FIXBOOT)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"R. Thomas Berner" <RThomasBerner@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestissä news:482979B3-7449-47D5-9125-0B8129ED8AAD@microsoft.com...
> This may be a really naive question, but would it be possible to load
Windows
> 98 on my current computer (9 months old) and then run drvspace. I too have
> compress zip disks that I want to read.
>
> "Thomas Wendell" wrote:
>
> > If it's Win98 DriveSpace you're talking about, there is no support in
WinXp
> > fot it. If you need to read from that disk, you have to find a Win98
machine
> > and copy the data to an uncompressed diskette.....
> >

> > --
> > Tumppi
> > Reply to group
> > Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
> >

> > "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > > how do i mount a floppy in windows xp that has used drive
> > > space for compression? Then when i do munt the floppy, is
> > > it compatible with previous versions of windows?

Or you can load this:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

----
Nathan McNulty