Can't see other computer on my network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 11:41:04 AM

I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
router. Any help or ideas???

More about : computer network

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 11:53:17 AM

l says:
>>Any help or ideas???>>

I know it's a dumb question, but are the drives set to shared? Are you using
NetBEUI protocol? I had the same problem, installed NetBEUI, and it fixed
the problem...

--
:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs

No, NetBEUI is not installed on any machine. That is what is so puzzling
since two of them can see each other. Since the laptops are also used on
other networks, I really don't want to install that protocol. I'd rather
transfer as I currenly an, using CD-RW discs.

"The Baba" wrote:

> l says:
> >>Any help or ideas???>>
>
> I know it's a dumb question, but are the drives set to shared? Are you using
> NetBEUI protocol? I had the same problem, installed NetBEUI, and it fixed
> the problem...
>
> --
> :-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
> Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
> http://members.cox.net/thebaba/WS.html

a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 7, 2005 3:39:02 PM

Are they on the same IP subnet, since you mentioned a router being used?
Default gateway? Any broadcast traffic dis/allowed? What kind of platforms
are they on (Win 2000, XP, XP SP2, etc.)?

It would be helpful if
ipconfig /all
can be run and posted here for further analysis.

Thanks!

"lsanroman" wrote:

> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
> same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
> router. Any help or ideas???
January 7, 2005 7:36:04 PM

Hi

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"lsanroman" <lsanroman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on
> the
> same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access
> the
> router. Any help or ideas???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 12:33:03 AM

One laptop is using XP Pro and the other XP Home. Neither can see any other
computer. One desktop is using XP Pro and the other is using XP home and they
can see each other and send files to each other. All are using DHCP and are
configured identically when I set up the network. I'd rather not post all the
ipconfigs but if you can send me your address, I will send them to you. I
just don't want them posted for all to see. I've even removed McAfee firewall
and disabled Microsoft firewall to no avail. Thanks for your help.

"Desmond Lee" wrote:

> Are they on the same IP subnet, since you mentioned a router being used?
> Default gateway? Any broadcast traffic dis/allowed? What kind of platforms
> are they on (Win 2000, XP, XP SP2, etc.)?
>
> It would be helpful if
> ipconfig /all
> can be run and posted here for further analysis.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "lsanroman" wrote:
>
> > I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> > can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> > see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
> > same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
> > router. Any help or ideas???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 12:37:01 AM

No luck so far, I even tried mapping a drive but I got a message telling me I
don't have persmissions and to contact the administrator. i am the
administrator.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "lsanroman" <lsanroman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> > can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> > see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on
> > the
> > same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access
> > the
> > router. Any help or ideas???

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 11:59:01 AM

Review the following for clues to your setup:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/networking/browsersrvc.ht...

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

"lsanroman" wrote:

> One laptop is using XP Pro and the other XP Home. Neither can see any other
> computer. One desktop is using XP Pro and the other is using XP home and they
> can see each other and send files to each other. All are using DHCP and are
> configured identically when I set up the network. I'd rather not post all the
> ipconfigs but if you can send me your address, I will send them to you. I
> just don't want them posted for all to see. I've even removed McAfee firewall
> and disabled Microsoft firewall to no avail. Thanks for your help.
>
> "Desmond Lee" wrote:
>
> > Are they on the same IP subnet, since you mentioned a router being used?
> > Default gateway? Any broadcast traffic dis/allowed? What kind of platforms
> > are they on (Win 2000, XP, XP SP2, etc.)?
> >
> > It would be helpful if
> > ipconfig /all
> > can be run and posted here for further analysis.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "lsanroman" wrote:
> >
> > > I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> > > can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> > > see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
> > > same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
> > > router. Any help or ideas???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 9, 2005 4:34:19 AM

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"lsanroman" <lsanroman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on
> the
> same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access
> the
> router. Any help or ideas???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 9, 2005 8:01:02 PM

Can any one help me with this-I am using a wireless laptop that is networked
to my desktop-it seems that i can only see the shared info when the desktop
is on but not the other way around-I am sure this is a simple fix-can someone
help!?? please

kelhail@rogers.com
thanks

"lsanroman" wrote:

> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
> same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
> router. Any help or ideas???
January 9, 2005 8:20:10 PM

Hailee wrote:

> Can any one help me with this-I am using a wireless laptop that is
> networked to my desktop-it seems that i can only see the shared info
> when the desktop is on but not the other way around-I am sure this is
> a simple fix-can someone help!?? please
>
> kelhail@rogers.com
> thanks
>
> "lsanroman" wrote:
>
>> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The
>> desktops can see each other and I can transfer files between the two
>> but they can't see the laptops and the laptops can't see the
>> desktops. They are all on the same workgroup, one of the desktops
>> even uses a wireless card to access the router. Any help or ideas???

Are you the original poster? If not, please start a new thread instead
of hijacking someone else's post. It makes it very difficult to help
both parties when you do this. Make sure to include all information
about your system such as operating system versions, Service Pack
levels, and the physical set up of the network.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

i am not-i tried to start a new thread and it did not seem to work -thanks
for your help

"Malke" wrote:

> Hailee wrote:
>
> > Can any one help me with this-I am using a wireless laptop that is
> > networked to my desktop-it seems that i can only see the shared info
> > when the desktop is on but not the other way around-I am sure this is
> > a simple fix-can someone help!?? please
> >
> > kelhail@rogers.com
> > thanks
> >
> > "lsanroman" wrote:
> >
> >> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The
> >> desktops can see each other and I can transfer files between the two
> >> but they can't see the laptops and the laptops can't see the
> >> desktops. They are all on the same workgroup, one of the desktops
> >> even uses a wireless card to access the router. Any help or ideas???
>
> Are you the original poster? If not, please start a new thread instead
> of hijacking someone else's post. It makes it very difficult to help
> both parties when you do this. Make sure to include all information
> about your system such as operating system versions, Service Pack
> levels, and the physical set up of the network.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

January 9, 2005 10:29:44 PM

Hailee wrote:

> i am not-i tried to start a new thread and it did not seem to work
> -thanks for your help

You will find it much easier to use this resource if you use a real
newsreader instead of the terribly clunky web interface. Since you are
using the web interface, you may not realize that this is really a
newsgroup. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are some links to
information about newsgroups to broaden your posting pleasure!

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.h...
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support...
- Set Up Newsreader
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support...
(enter url on one line in browser addressbar)
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 17, 2005 11:43:07 AM

Thanks to all who have answered. After trying numerous solutions, I still
have not been able to see any other computers from my laptop but my desktop
(XP Home) can now see my laptop. However, when I try to access it, I receive
tyhe following error message:

"\\laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use network
resourse. Contact tthe Administrator of the server to find out if you have
access permissions.
The network path could not be found."

I have logged in as administrator on both machines to no avail. I assume it
is not the desktop since it can see and access another desktop on the network
as well as the network printer server; therefore, it has to be something in
the laptop. I'm still looking for it and someday I will find the fix...

"lsanroman" wrote:

> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
> can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
> see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
> same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
> router. Any help or ideas???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 18, 2005 5:37:02 PM

That error and fix is avoidable if you follow the steps at

> Thanks to all who have answered. After trying numerous solutions, I still
> have not been able to see any other computers from my laptop but my
> desktop
> (XP Home) can now see my laptop. However, when I try to access it, I
> receive
> tyhe following error message:
>
> "\\laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use network
> resourse. Contact tthe Administrator of the server to find out if you have
> access permissions.
> The network path could not be found."
>
> I have logged in as administrator on both machines to no avail. I assume
> it
> is not the desktop since it can see and access another desktop on the
> network
> as well as the network printer server; therefore, it has to be something
> in
> the laptop. I'm still looking for it and someday I will find the fix...
>
> "lsanroman" wrote:
>
>> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The
>> desktops
>> can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they
>> can't
>> see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on
>> the
>> same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access
>> the
>> router. Any help or ideas???
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
January 18, 2005 10:48:43 PM

1. Do an ipconfig /all on all machines and make sure ALL settings are EXACTLY the same
(except for host name, mac and ip address).
2. Rember that workgroup names are "case sensative" so they must match EXACTLY.
3. Create a universal account, such as the Admin being the same on all machines with the
same password. Log on as that universal user and test accessing shares. (Make sure that
user is in the permissions for the share).
4. Make sure there is a shared folder on each machine (no shares means they do not show up
on the borwse list).
5. Once the ipcionfig shows EXACTLY the same settings, then ping weach machine. If you
cannot ping a machine, then there is a hardware problem or there is a firewall/antivirus
component, blocking the connectivity.
6. Make sure there are not more than 10 nodes in this worksgroup.

The above should resolve your issue. Please make sure you check the configurations
carefully, as a mistype is quite possible on an IP address.

HTH,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?= <lsanroman@discussions.microsoft.com>
'--'Subject: Re: Can't see other computer on my network
'--'Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:37:01 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
'--'
'--'No luck so far, I even tried mapping a drive but I got a message telling me I
'--'don't have persmissions and to contact the administrator. i am the
'--'administrator.
'--'
'--'"Jack" wrote:
'--'
'--'> Hi
'--'>
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.
!