screen gone blank

Hi

Having just upgraded my hard disk and DVD drive I
attemptted to restart my PC, Intially the power was
interminating upon which I rapidly switched it off,
however there was a musty smell from the power pack. I
rechecked all connections and everything seemed fine and
attemptted another restart in which all seemed well except
the monitor didn't click into life from standby. I checked
the monitor cable and noticed a pin missing from the
monitor lead (the 2nd on the right middle row) and
concluded that this was the problem. However I wanted some
advise as didn't want to buy a monitor for nothing. I was
also concerned about the previous power failure and smell
although this has since gone and was possible caused by a
cloggged fan which I have subsequently cleaned.

Any advise would be brilliant.
3 answers Last reply
More about screen blank

    You really need to beg, borrow or steal another monitor to check this out.
    Not all pins on the monitor cable are needed, so the missing pin may not be
    the problem.

    Does the PC seem to start up normally except for the lack of screen (ie
    usual lights, beeps, hard disk clicks and whirs etc.)

    I'm concerned about the 'musty' smell from the power pack! Was it a
    particulary strong smell, and was this the first/only time you've smelt it?
    If it was quite strong, I wonder if you might have burned out some
    components on the power pack, if it was only a slight niff, maybe you only
    blew the fuse.

    First of all, is it still under warrenty? If it is then you are probably
    best off taking it back to the manufacturer.

    Has it worked at all since you upgraded your HDD/DVD? If it hasn't then it's
    possibe that you may have dislodged some cable or possibly misconnected
    somthing when you were doing your upgrade...

    My advise would be to borrow a friends monitor, try that out.
    If it works, fine you need a new one.
    If it doesn't work, then AND ONLY IF YOU'RE CONFIDENT WITH THIS, open the
    case of your PC, first of all, check all the connections, make sure you
    didn't dislodge anything when you added the disks, if you can find nothing
    then remove the power pack, open that and have a look to see if anything
    looks burned, or see if you can find a fuse that looks blown, if you're not
    too happy taking your PC to bits then I can only suggest you take it to a
    local PC repair shop and ask them to have a look for you.

    Cheers,

    ChrisM.

    "kingnaji" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Having just upgraded my hard disk and DVD drive I
    > attemptted to restart my PC, Intially the power was
    > interminating upon which I rapidly switched it off,
    > however there was a musty smell from the power pack. I
    > rechecked all connections and everything seemed fine and
    > attemptted another restart in which all seemed well except
    > the monitor didn't click into life from standby. I checked
    > the monitor cable and noticed a pin missing from the
    > monitor lead (the 2nd on the right middle row) and
    > concluded that this was the problem. However I wanted some
    > advise as didn't want to buy a monitor for nothing. I was
    > also concerned about the previous power failure and smell
    > although this has since gone and was possible caused by a
    > cloggged fan which I have subsequently cleaned.
    >
    > Any advise would be brilliant.

    Hi Chris

    Was a stong smell and eminated immediatly on first turning
    the PC on but after checked connectors disappeared and
    power seems fine but not too sure if PC is booting up
    properly - seems to but not sure, if the fuse is blown
    can it be replaced or is it easier to get a new power pack?

    OK, I'm thoroughly confused. First off, I'd like to say great job to
    Chris on his suggestions. Second, what the heck is a power pack? Are you
    talking about your Power Supply Unit? Third, you said it seems to boot
    up fine. Does that mean you think the computer boots up fine but can't
    tell since the monitor doesn't work? Have you tried a different video
    card? Lastly, as Chris said, make sure you check all of the connections
    and make sure that everything, IDE Cables, Power plugs, etc, are all in
    their proper places. When all else fails, a PC repair shop is an
    excellent choice ;)

    Nathan McNulty

Monitors Power Windows XP