Does XP detect serial Mouse?

I reformatted my harddrive and now have no mouse. I've
installed the correct XP compatable drivers from the
manufacturer but still no mouse.

I think it's not detecting it on the serial port. How do
I work around this and get it to look for the mouse on the
serial port on boot up?

Thanks
Sher
17 answers Last reply
More about does detect serial mouse

    Fallen on hard times right now but let me try to ask this
    question more precisely.

    I reformatted my harddrive and now my mouse doesn't work.
    I have Windows XP Home and did have the same before the
    reformat. The mouse worked fine before I reformatted.

    The mouse is functional on other computers.

    It's a Logitech trackball mouse with a PS/2 connecter into
    an adapter connected to a serial port in my computer.

    I have installed the proper XP driver for the mouse from
    Logitech.

    I have only a serial port and no PS/2 port.

    The mouse is not being detected at the serial port but I
    do get the message that it's detected "at an unknown port"
    and is non-functional.

    I don't know if the mouse works in Dos (it's been 15 years
    since I worked in Dos and I didn't have a mouse, so I
    don't know how to use one in Dos.

    I think this is the question (and the wording is hard to
    convey) -
    It's either, How do I direct my mouse to be on the serial
    port so the computer finds it there at startup - or - How
    do I get the computer to detect the mouse at the serial
    port at startup.

    I'm sorry if I've been confusing, it's hard to find the
    answer when you don't know how to ask the question. I do
    appreciate your input.

    Thanks
    Sher

    Sher,

    Do yourself a favor and buy PS/2 or USB mouse, otherwise answer to yourself
    the follow:
    Is the mouse connected properly? Did the mouse exist during setup? Was it
    something else connected to the serial ports during setup? Does the COM
    port(s) exist in Device Manager? Does the mouse work in DOS?

    Does the mouse work in DOS??? There should be no mouse in DOS unless you
    are using DOS 6.22 or someother variant. Anyways, serial mice have
    problems with Windows XP. You will have to manually install the drivers
    and probably in compatibility mode since most serial mice drivers are
    not updated for XP (as they are a really old mouse). I would also
    suggest that you look into buying a simple USB mouse. Also, I would
    highly suggest looking at the optical USB mice. Microsoft and Logitech
    make very good ones ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Jetro wrote:

    > Sher,
    >
    > Do yourself a favor and buy PS/2 or USB mouse, otherwise answer to yourself
    > the follow:
    > Is the mouse connected properly? Did the mouse exist during setup? Was it
    > something else connected to the serial ports during setup? Does the COM
    > port(s) exist in Device Manager? Does the mouse work in DOS?

    Can't buy new, don't have the luxery right now.

    How do I manually install the driver in compatibility
    mode?

    In case you need more info see the answer to Jetro
    I tried to put in more details.

    Sher

    Nathan,
    Would you agree that "DOS 6.22 or some other variant" covers almost any DOS
    version? ;-) When was the first commercial mouse introduced, in 1982? It was
    the year of MS-DOS 1.1.

    But that would be DOS the OS, not the DOS we have today (which is really
    an underlying component of an OS). I have never had a mouse pointer
    when booting from a Windows 98 Bootdisk or booting into DOS. I agree
    that if you actually install DOS, it will have a mouse, but who installs
    that these days? :)

    Nathan McNulty

    Jetro wrote:

    > Nathan,
    > Would you agree that "DOS 6.22 or some other variant" covers almost any DOS
    > version? ;-) When was the first commercial mouse introduced, in 1982? It was
    > the year of MS-DOS 1.1.

    That's because you never loaded the device driver in the config.sys
    file. MS-DOS, whether it be version 1.0 or 7.0/7.1 (found under
    98/ME) can have mouse capability at the DOS prompt, provided the
    correct drivers are installed, the same is true for CD drives,
    joysticks, etc. P.S. DOS is DOS, there is not difference between DOS
    the OS and DOS we have (what you call an underlying component of the
    OS) - it is an OS - (operating system). And who installs DOS these
    days, anyone who installs a Win9x OS, as DOS is the OS, and Windows is
    just a graphical interface running on top of the OS. NT OS's on the
    otherhand, are totally different, no DOS as you know it, and Windows
    is the OS and contains a DOS emulation module (cmd.exe) that runs on
    top of Windows the OS to allow backup compatibility and a command
    line.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
    > But that would be DOS the OS, not the DOS we have today (which is
    really
    > an underlying component of an OS). I have never had a mouse pointer
    > when booting from a Windows 98 Bootdisk or booting into DOS. I
    agree
    > that if you actually install DOS, it will have a mouse, but who
    installs
    > that these days? :)
    >
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Jetro wrote:
    >
    > > Nathan,
    > > Would you agree that "DOS 6.22 or some other variant" covers
    almost any DOS
    > > version? ;-) When was the first commercial mouse introduced, in
    1982? It was
    > > the year of MS-DOS 1.1.

    All I can do is smile :) I have never had to use DOS except to do
    common tasks such as FDISK and FORMAT. That is about it, so apparently
    there is a lot more to DOS that I realized. I did know that the 9x core
    was built on DOS, an 9x was just the GUI, however, I did not realize it
    was similar to DOS 6.22 and below. I have access to all of those
    versions of DOS, but I have never installed them. May be time to pull
    out the DOS/Win9x DVD :)

    Nathan McNulty

    Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:

    > That's because you never loaded the device driver in the config.sys
    > file. MS-DOS, whether it be version 1.0 or 7.0/7.1 (found under
    > 98/ME) can have mouse capability at the DOS prompt, provided the
    > correct drivers are installed, the same is true for CD drives,
    > joysticks, etc. P.S. DOS is DOS, there is not difference between DOS
    > the OS and DOS we have (what you call an underlying component of the
    > OS) - it is an OS - (operating system). And who installs DOS these
    > days, anyone who installs a Win9x OS, as DOS is the OS, and Windows is
    > just a graphical interface running on top of the OS. NT OS's on the
    > otherhand, are totally different, no DOS as you know it, and Windows
    > is the OS and contains a DOS emulation module (cmd.exe) that runs on
    > top of Windows the OS to allow backup compatibility and a command
    > line.

    In "device manager" - does the comm port show up and is it functional?
    It would be found under the "Ports (COM & LPT)" tree and labeled
    "Communications Port (COM1)" or "Communication Port (COM2)" etc. You
    may need drivers for the Comm port it self, since you have a vintage
    PC without any PS2 ports - WinXP may not have native drivers to
    support it.

    --

    > Fallen on hard times right now but let me try to ask this
    > question more precisely.
    >
    > I reformatted my harddrive and now my mouse doesn't work.
    > I have Windows XP Home and did have the same before the
    > reformat. The mouse worked fine before I reformatted.
    >
    > The mouse is functional on other computers.
    >
    > It's a Logitech trackball mouse with a PS/2 connecter into
    > an adapter connected to a serial port in my computer.
    >
    > I have installed the proper XP driver for the mouse from
    > Logitech.
    >
    > I have only a serial port and no PS/2 port.
    >
    > The mouse is not being detected at the serial port but I
    > do get the message that it's detected "at an unknown port"
    > and is non-functional.
    >
    > I don't know if the mouse works in Dos (it's been 15 years
    > since I worked in Dos and I didn't have a mouse, so I
    > don't know how to use one in Dos.
    >
    > I think this is the question (and the wording is hard to
    > convey) -
    > It's either, How do I direct my mouse to be on the serial
    > port so the computer finds it there at startup - or - How
    > do I get the computer to detect the mouse at the serial
    > port at startup.
    >
    > I'm sorry if I've been confusing, it's hard to find the
    > answer when you don't know how to ask the question. I do
    > appreciate your input.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Sher

    Sher,
    Did you reinstall using Quick Restore CD or regular OEM/retail Windows CD?
    If the latter, can you recall whether the mouse worked or not? Did you
    install SP1?
    According to the Logitech site, "MouseWare does not support any serial
    pointing devices. A Logitech mouse connected to the serial port will
    function with native drivers, but it will not be displayed in the MouseWare
    control center and you will not be able to program the buttons."

    Some PS/2 mice are sold for $20.00 US.

    "Sher" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can't buy new, don't have the luxery right now.
    >
    > How do I manually install the driver in compatibility
    > mode?
    >
    > In case you need more info see the answer to Jetro
    > I tried to put in more details.
    >
    > Sher

    When I'm saying "DOS" I mean what I'm saying; the Windows Command Prompt is
    not the DOS by no means. Custom-made DOS boot diskette or bootable CD is the
    powerful deadly weapon of any wise and handy techie/engineer yet "today" and
    "these days".
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Even less than that. You can get a MS Optical USB mouse for less than
    that. I paid $9.99 for one of mine.

    Nathan McNulty

    Yves Leclerc wrote:

    > Some PS/2 mice are sold for $20.00 US.
    >
    > "Sher" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can't buy new, don't have the luxery right now.
    >>
    >>How do I manually install the driver in compatibility
    >>mode?
    >>
    >>In case you need more info see the answer to Jetro
    >>I tried to put in more details.
    >>
    >>Sher

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yeah, you are totally right. I know ;) Also, I just tried installing
    XP SP2 RC2 (clean install) on a 200 MHz computer with a MS serial mouse
    and had absolutely no problems. No need to install drivers or anything.
    Seems weird that it won't work in this case.

    Nathan McNulty

    Jetro wrote:

    > When I'm saying "DOS" I mean what I'm saying; the Windows Command Prompt is
    > not the DOS by no means. Custom-made DOS boot diskette or bootable CD is the
    > powerful deadly weapon of any wise and handy techie/engineer yet "today" and
    > "these days".

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You got MS mouse but Sher is using the Logitech model.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    You have a good point again :) Of course MS is going to support their
    own mice :p I still think that she should scan for new hardware and see
    if it pulls it up. The only other explanation is that the serial COM
    port is conflicting with something else (maybe a modem?).

    Nathan McNulty

    Jetro wrote:

    > You got MS mouse but Sher is using the Logitech model.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I believe this cool PS/2 mouse might conflict with anything in that AT box.

Mice Hard Drives Windows XP