computer freezes/locks-ups

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

When I first got my computer it was working fine, then
when rearranging a room, I decided to move it. From then
on it has been nothing but trouble. The computer
freezes/ locks-up randomly and the only thing I can do
about it is reboot, I can't even use the power button on
the tower. It usually occurs when I start an
application, am using an application, or installing
something. However it does occur when there is nothing
the computer is doing besides being on. I think this is
a hardware problem because I have done everything else,
checked for viruses, ad-ware, spyware, etc.

Check inside your computer, if you are comfortable opening it, and see
if anything is visibly disconnected or loose. I have seen cases where a
slot style processor while come a little loose or a power cable came a
little loose. Just from moving the computer, nothing should have
happened. The only thing that could have physically changed by moving
the computer, other than the above mentioned, is the source of power it
hsa to pull from. It is possible that the power is not as good in that
electrical plug or may be giving dirty power to the Power Supply. If the
3.3v rail were to have problems, it causes system instability.

I believe that this is a software problem, not hardware. I would run
Ad-Aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com , run the online virus scanner
from http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9914 , and uninstall
any unnecessary programs. Also run a scandisk and a defrag on your disk.
To do these two, open My Computer, right click on your hard drive,
click Properties, then click the Tools Tab. Do the scandisk first, then
do the disk defragment.

Nathan McNulty