Pundit-R (P4R8L) - The driver detected a controller error ..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 15, 2004 10:45:13 PM

I just bought ASUS Pundit-R barebone system. The motherboard is ASUS
P4R8L. I installed Windows MCE 2005 on it and the other components are
Intel P4 3.0E, 1GB memory (Rosewill PC-3200 512MB x 2), Western Digital
200GB SATA HD (WD2000JD), and Pioneer DVR-107D DVD/CD drive (I have not
installed a TV tuner card yet). The installation of MCE 2005 itself
went fine without any problems. Then, I wanted to install drivers for
other Putdit-R built-in components such as vidio and network from the
ASUS support CD. But, I noticed that the CD drive does not work. I
mean it does not read CDs. It worked fine when I installed MCE 2005.
But, it does not work after Windows is installed. The drive has been
recognazed properly both from BIOS and OS. In the Device Manager, I
see "Pioneer DVR-107D" under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and its property page
says "This device is working properly.". I uninstalled the device once
and then it was automatically detected and the driver was reinstalled
when I rebooted the PC. But, it does not read any CDs (I tried several
CDs I have). I even reinstalled Windows MCE 2005, but the problem still
persists. I looked at the system even log and I found out there are many
cdrom errors there. It says:

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0"

What does it mean? I connected the Pioneer DVD/CD drive (which has
been used in another PC without any problems) to the Primary IDE
connector (black one, near the front of Pundit-R). The DVD/CD drive is
the only one connected to the primary IDE connector as the hard drive
has been connected to the Serial ATA connector and nothing has been
connected to the secondary IDE connector (blue one, near to the power
unit). I tried to connect the DVD/CD drive to the Secondary IDE
connector instead of the Primary IDE connector, but the BIOS does not
recognize the DVD/CD drive in such case.

Please let me know what I should try at this time. Thank you very
much!

--
kaz
Anonymous

kaz <kaz.1fs6ka@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message news:<kaz.1fs6ka@news.computerbanter.com>...
> I just bought ASUS Pundit-R barebone system. The motherboard is ASUS
> P4R8L. I installed Windows MCE 2005 on it and the other components are
> Intel P4 3.0E, 1GB memory (Rosewill PC-3200 512MB x 2), Western Digital
> 200GB SATA HD (WD2000JD), and Pioneer DVR-107D DVD/CD drive (I have not
> installed a TV tuner card yet). The installation of MCE 2005 itself
> went fine without any problems. Then, I wanted to install drivers for
> other Putdit-R built-in components such as vidio and network from the
> ASUS support CD. But, I noticed that the CD drive does not work. I
> mean it does not read CDs. It worked fine when I installed MCE 2005.
> But, it does not work after Windows is installed. The drive has been
> recognazed properly both from BIOS and OS. In the Device Manager, I
> see "Pioneer DVR-107D" under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and its property page
> says "This device is working properly.". I uninstalled the device once
> and then it was automatically detected and the driver was reinstalled
> when I rebooted the PC. But, it does not read any CDs (I tried several
> CDs I have). I even reinstalled Windows MCE 2005, but the problem still
> persists. I looked at the system even log and I found out there are many
> cdrom errors there. It says:
>
> "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom0"
>
> What does it mean? I connected the Pioneer DVD/CD drive (which has
> been used in another PC without any problems) to the Primary IDE
> connector (black one, near the front of Pundit-R). The DVD/CD drive is
> the only one connected to the primary IDE connector as the hard drive
> has been connected to the Serial ATA connector and nothing has been
> connected to the secondary IDE connector (blue one, near to the power
> unit). I tried to connect the DVD/CD drive to the Secondary IDE
> connector instead of the Primary IDE connector, but the BIOS does not
> recognize the DVD/CD drive in such case.
>
> Please let me know what I should try at this time. Thank you very
> much!

Last week i bought the same barebone system, i had the same problem as
you with my Sony dvd.
The Pundit-r seems work well only with Asus optical drive!!

By
!