is PC cardbus fast enough for usb 2?

I am about to buy a USB 2.0 PC-CARD for my P-4 laptop running XP. But doing a bit of search, I am acutally confused if the 32-bit carbus on my laptop is fast enough to allow the use of the full USB 2 speeds of 480 Mega Bit Per Sec (the most I could find out was that the speed of a 32-bit cardbus is just 50 MBPS!!?

I don't want to end up with yet another useless bit of hardware gathering dust in the attic, so if you know of anything that might be useful for the above quesiton, your help is much appreciated.

The theoretical limit to 32bit cardbus is 132 MB/s. Now you are only
going to get about 80% efficiency, so you are only going to really get
about 105 MB/s. This is still much better than 12 MB/s (which really
ends up around 8 MB/s. Here is the deal though. Current harddrives
today can only handle around 78 MB/s internally. When you have
ATA100/ATA133, these speeds are only achieveable by RAID configurations.
This is the only time when you can actually use max throughput. So
basically, get a USB 2.0 PC-Card. It will help you a ton and the only
way you are going to not reach full speed of the USB is if you copy
large files to two different harddrives (in your laptop? lol) at the
same time. Basically each harddrive will accept around 80 MB/s. So USB
2.0 could fuel multiple harddrives even if they were SATA set up in RAID
Configuration ;)

Nathan McNulty

McMakan wrote:

> I am about to buy a USB 2.0 PC-CARD for my P-4 laptop running XP. But doing a bit of search, I am acutally confused if the 32-bit carbus on my laptop is fast enough to allow the use of the full USB 2 speeds of 480 Mega Bit Per Sec (the most I could find out was that the speed of a 32-bit cardbus is just 50 MBPS!!?
>
> I don't want to end up with yet another useless bit of hardware gathering dust in the attic, so if you know of anything that might be useful for the above quesiton, your help is much appreciated.

Goo, I am stupid. Got MB/s and Mb/s mixed up. Ok, so let me fix this:

USB 2.0 has a max throughput of 480 Megabits per second, this is 60
Megabytes of data per second.

The cardbus has a max throughput of 850 Megabits per second, this is 132
Megabytes of data per second.

So the cardbus will actually only use about 55% of its available
bandwidth for the USB 2.0 Card and will fully support the maximum
speeds. Oh, and I fogot to mention my sources:

http://www.pcmcia.org/papers/new_bus.htm#usbde

Nathan McNulty

Nathan McNulty wrote:

> The theoretical limit to 32bit cardbus is 132 MB/s. Now you are only
> going to get about 80% efficiency, so you are only going to really get
> about 105 MB/s. This is still much better than 12 MB/s (which really
> ends up around 8 MB/s. Here is the deal though. Current harddrives
> today can only handle around 78 MB/s internally. When you have
> ATA100/ATA133, these speeds are only achieveable by RAID configurations.
> This is the only time when you can actually use max throughput. So
> basically, get a USB 2.0 PC-Card. It will help you a ton and the only
> way you are going to not reach full speed of the USB is if you copy
> large files to two different harddrives (in your laptop? lol) at the
> same time. Basically each harddrive will accept around 80 MB/s. So USB
> 2.0 could fuel multiple harddrives even if they were SATA set up in RAID
> Configuration ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> McMakan wrote:
>
>> I am about to buy a USB 2.0 PC-CARD for my P-4 laptop running XP. But
>> doing a bit of search, I am acutally confused if the 32-bit carbus on
>> my laptop is fast enough to allow the use of the full USB 2 speeds of
>> 480 Mega Bit Per Sec (the most I could find out was that the speed of
>> a 32-bit cardbus is just 50 MBPS!!?
>>
>> I don't want to end up with yet another useless bit of hardware
>> gathering dust in the attic, so if you know of anything that might be
>> useful for the above quesiton, your help is much appreciated.

Nathan, Many Thanks for the detailed response. It totaly answers my question.

BTW your guess about what I want the card for is very true; I am planning to use it with an external ATA133 HD.

McMakan