P5P800 and 2 S-ATA drives

Hi all,

I will thank any help concerning this problem - I am not at home now
but I am thinking saving some time by asking all the "pro" guys here.

I have a P5P800, no floppy, a WD 200Gb S-ATA drive, an IDE DVD-ROM,
IDE DVD-Recorder and a IDE HD 40Gb. I have XP running for some time
and no problem.
XP shows my S-ATA drive as "C" and IDE drive as "D".

When I install a second S-ATA disk to mother board, system doesn't
boot with a message like "Reboot and Select power boot device ... or
....". I rebooted, went to Bios setup, boot, trying to make a selection
of the proper boot device but I can't find the S-ATA drives! I have 4
IDE controllers, are the last two the S-ATA? (the only choice I have
are floppy, CD-ROM and a disk (I guess the IDE D: drive??). I didn't
have time to much more tryings.

Sorry for the ignorance :)

Regards and TIA

Hi again,

I've just arrived home and made some further tests - problem remains
but I have more info:

If I have only the first S-ATA drive, it shows on BIOS connected to
the third IDE controller ... if I plug the second S-ATA drive to the
other motherboard S-ATA connector, no drives appear in bios - that's
why I am getting the message and that's why I couldn't find the S-ATA
drives on the boot priority menu...

It looks like the second S-ATA drive is confliting with first ... any
help?

Btw, I don't know if it matters but this new drive has a "new" design
power connector, not like the first sata that has one of those
standard power plugs like CDs etc.

Regards
Paulo Abreu

paulosergioabreu@gmail.com (Paulo SM Abreu) wrote in message news:<d742ffbe.0411160717.113b5ceb@posting.google.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I will thank any help concerning this problem - I am not at home now
> but I am thinking saving some time by asking all the "pro" guys here.
>
> I have a P5P800, no floppy, a WD 200Gb S-ATA drive, an IDE DVD-ROM,
> IDE DVD-Recorder and a IDE HD 40Gb. I have XP running for some time
> and no problem.
> XP shows my S-ATA drive as "C" and IDE drive as "D".
>
> When I install a second S-ATA disk to mother board, system doesn't
> boot with a message like "Reboot and Select power boot device ... or
> ...". I rebooted, went to Bios setup, boot, trying to make a selection
> of the proper boot device but I can't find the S-ATA drives! I have 4
> IDE controllers, are the last two the S-ATA? (the only choice I have
> are floppy, CD-ROM and a disk (I guess the IDE D: drive??). I didn't
> have time to much more tryings.
>
> Sorry for the ignorance :)
>
> Regards and TIA

Paul

Splendid

In article <d742ffbe.0411161425.4dd2c364@posting.google.com>,
paulosergioabreu@gmail.com (Paulo SM Abreu) wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've just arrived home and made some further tests - problem remains
> but I have more info:
>
> If I have only the first S-ATA drive, it shows on BIOS connected to
> the third IDE controller ... if I plug the second S-ATA drive to the
> other motherboard S-ATA connector, no drives appear in bios - that's
> why I am getting the message and that's why I couldn't find the S-ATA
> drives on the boot priority menu...
>
> It looks like the second S-ATA drive is confliting with first ... any
> help?
>
> Btw, I don't know if it matters but this new drive has a "new" design
> power connector, not like the first sata that has one of those
> standard power plugs like CDs etc.
>
> Regards
> Paulo Abreu

Every disk drive needs power. S-ATA drives either have the old
Molex power connector, or they have the new S-ATA power connector.
If your power supply only has the older power connectors on it,
you may need an adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=12-104-652-01.JPG

HTH,
Paul

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-1611041840450001@192.168.1.177>...
> In article <d742ffbe.0411161425.4dd2c364@posting.google.com>,
> paulosergioabreu@gmail.com (Paulo SM Abreu) wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I've just arrived home and made some further tests - problem remains
> > but I have more info:
> >
> > If I have only the first S-ATA drive, it shows on BIOS connected to
> > the third IDE controller ... if I plug the second S-ATA drive to the
> > other motherboard S-ATA connector, no drives appear in bios - that's
> > why I am getting the message and that's why I couldn't find the S-ATA
> > drives on the boot priority menu...
> >
> > It looks like the second S-ATA drive is confliting with first ... any
> > help?
> >
> > Btw, I don't know if it matters but this new drive has a "new" design
> > power connector, not like the first sata that has one of those
> > standard power plugs like CDs etc.
> >
> > Regards
> > Paulo Abreu
>
> Every disk drive needs power. S-ATA drives either have the old
> Molex power connector, or they have the new S-ATA power connector.
> If your power supply only has the older power connectors on it,
> you may need an adapter:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=12-104-652-01.JPG
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Thanka Paul for the tip but the drive is powered with the S-ATA type
power connector from the power supply.

I definitevely think the drive is DOA. I get to this conclusion
because:

The 1st SATA WD disk is recognized and show in BIOS ide 3rd or 4th IDE
controllers (S-ATA) - I tried on both controllers and its fine.

The 1st drive is powered by a standard Molex power but it also has a
S-ATA type one - I disconnected the first and tried powering it alone
with the S-ATA power connector and it works fine ... so, no problem is
power suply.

The 2nd SATA Maxtor disk doesn't recognize in any of the 2 S-ATA
connectors and when plugged together with the 1st drive, it makes
first one unrecognizable too ... I also tried exchanging S-ATA data
cables but no success.

Conclusion: second drive is damaged - I'll send it back

Regards