Need help with ATI Radeon 9600XT All in Wonder...The WDM d..

a b \ Driver
July 8, 2004 11:15:22 AM

I have a new ATI 9600XT All in Wonder. I have installed it a million
times (all right maybe not a million, but lots of times). To make a
long story short. I have uninstalled ,re-installed, switched video
cards, uninstalled new card, go back to ATI, re-installed my XP Pro in
repair mode and re-installed all updates. I have an Asus MB, P4 2.0
with a gig of ram 533 Mhz bus. I have the latest bios, AGP, sound
Video, IDE, Modem, Motherboard, Chipset, etc drivers installed. I have
a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card. After installing
the ATI and all of its drivers and software and rebooting, my Video
looks great. But I can't watch any TV etc on it. I get errors when I
try, and it's diagnostic software tells me I am missing the WDM
drivers. In effect all my video inputs don't work. I found that there
are supposed to be 6 ATI WDM drivers installed under the "Sound,
Video, and Game Controllers" section of Device Manager. If I remove
the ATI Radeon display drivers from the Display section of Device
Manager or via Add/Remove software and then reboot the PC, windows
will find the ATI video card and will install the display drivers. It
will also find the WDM drivers and install them and I will be able to
see them in device manager. They are as follows:

ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
ATI WDM Rage Theater Video
ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
ATI WDM Specialized PCD Codec
ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
ATI WDM TV Tuner

Once I can see them in device manager under sound, video, and game
controllers, I can get the card to play TV using CATV in, SVideo in,
and Composite video in. All work great. However as soon as I reboot
the system the WDM drivers disappear and I have to start the whole
uninstall display drivers, and reboot process all over again. Any Idea
why these drivers will not stick around. I know that I have to have my
Anti-Virus disabled in order to get the drivers to install, and for
all my testing and rebooting I have been keeping it disabled, so that
it should not be part of the problem. Where would I go in the Registry
to see the command to load the WDM drivers, and how can I see if it is
being deleted on reboot as a possible explanation for their
disappearance on reboot. And where on the HD would I also find them,
other than the location I install them from. I am running a FAT32
system. I have no viruses or Trojans etc as I have been checking
regularly. Has anybody else seen any disappearing drivers, and how can
I make them stay. Any and all help will be GREATLY APPREACIATED !!!!

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Ralph Malph

More about : ati radeon 9600xt wdm

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 8, 2004 11:15:23 AM

Not sure what's going on there. It sounds like there are some issues of
files/drivers being left behind. You will need to make sure to clean out
everything from ATI. Check item #1 ;)  Here is what I would suggest doing:

1. Use this utility to remove all ATI stuff from your computer:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

2. Install the latest video card drivers from here (new 4.7 released today):
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-03-04061...

3. Install ATI Multimedia Center for your TV Tuner/Capture Card part
(Read instructions first though):
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonopt-xp.h...

Hopefully that gets things running for you. The new drivers should also
help.

Ralph Malph wrote:

> I have a new ATI 9600XT All in Wonder. I have installed it a million
> times (all right maybe not a million, but lots of times). To make a
> long story short. I have uninstalled ,re-installed, switched video
> cards, uninstalled new card, go back to ATI, re-installed my XP Pro in
> repair mode and re-installed all updates. I have an Asus MB, P4 2.0
> with a gig of ram 533 Mhz bus. I have the latest bios, AGP, sound
> Video, IDE, Modem, Motherboard, Chipset, etc drivers installed. I have
> a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card. After installing
> the ATI and all of its drivers and software and rebooting, my Video
> looks great. But I can't watch any TV etc on it. I get errors when I
> try, and it's diagnostic software tells me I am missing the WDM
> drivers. In effect all my video inputs don't work. I found that there
> are supposed to be 6 ATI WDM drivers installed under the "Sound,
> Video, and Game Controllers" section of Device Manager. If I remove
> the ATI Radeon display drivers from the Display section of Device
> Manager or via Add/Remove software and then reboot the PC, windows
> will find the ATI video card and will install the display drivers. It
> will also find the WDM drivers and install them and I will be able to
> see them in device manager. They are as follows:
>
> ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
> ATI WDM Rage Theater Video
> ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
> ATI WDM Specialized PCD Codec
> ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
> ATI WDM TV Tuner
>
> Once I can see them in device manager under sound, video, and game
> controllers, I can get the card to play TV using CATV in, SVideo in,
> and Composite video in. All work great. However as soon as I reboot
> the system the WDM drivers disappear and I have to start the whole
> uninstall display drivers, and reboot process all over again. Any Idea
> why these drivers will not stick around. I know that I have to have my
> Anti-Virus disabled in order to get the drivers to install, and for
> all my testing and rebooting I have been keeping it disabled, so that
> it should not be part of the problem. Where would I go in the Registry
> to see the command to load the WDM drivers, and how can I see if it is
> being deleted on reboot as a possible explanation for their
> disappearance on reboot. And where on the HD would I also find them,
> other than the location I install them from. I am running a FAT32
> system. I have no viruses or Trojans etc as I have been checking
> regularly. Has anybody else seen any disappearing drivers, and how can
> I make them stay. Any and all help will be GREATLY APPREACIATED !!!!
>

> Thanks in advance for all the help,
>
> Ralph Malph

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 8, 2004 11:15:23 AM

Did you read the installation instructions from the ATI website? You must
have DirectX 9.0b and Windows Media Encoder 9.0 installed *BEFORE* you
install the MMC. The order to install the MMC components is to install
DAO/MDAC first, then the DVD Player, then MultiMedia Center (9.1 is the
current version). If you did not read and follow the instructions, then you
would have the problem you are having now. I recommend you go to the ATI
website, and read the Installation Instructions and Release Notes.

Bobby

"Ralph Malph" <aint@got.one> wrote in message
>I have a new ATI 9600XT All in Wonder. I have installed it a million
> times (all right maybe not a million, but lots of times). To make a
> long story short. I have uninstalled ,re-installed, switched video
> cards, uninstalled new card, go back to ATI, re-installed my XP Pro in
> repair mode and re-installed all updates. I have an Asus MB, P4 2.0
> with a gig of ram 533 Mhz bus. I have the latest bios, AGP, sound
> Video, IDE, Modem, Motherboard, Chipset, etc drivers installed. I have
> a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card. After installing
> the ATI and all of its drivers and software and rebooting, my Video
> looks great. But I can't watch any TV etc on it. I get errors when I
> try, and it's diagnostic software tells me I am missing the WDM
> drivers. In effect all my video inputs don't work. I found that there
> are supposed to be 6 ATI WDM drivers installed under the "Sound,
> Video, and Game Controllers" section of Device Manager. If I remove
> the ATI Radeon display drivers from the Display section of Device
> Manager or via Add/Remove software and then reboot the PC, windows
> will find the ATI video card and will install the display drivers. It
> will also find the WDM drivers and install them and I will be able to
> see them in device manager. They are as follows:
>
> ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
> ATI WDM Rage Theater Video
> ATI WDM Specialized MVD Codec
> ATI WDM Specialized PCD Codec
> ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
> ATI WDM TV Tuner
>
> Once I can see them in device manager under sound, video, and game
> controllers, I can get the card to play TV using CATV in, SVideo in,
> and Composite video in. All work great. However as soon as I reboot
> the system the WDM drivers disappear and I have to start the whole
> uninstall display drivers, and reboot process all over again. Any Idea
> why these drivers will not stick around. I know that I have to have my
> Anti-Virus disabled in order to get the drivers to install, and for
> all my testing and rebooting I have been keeping it disabled, so that
> it should not be part of the problem. Where would I go in the Registry
> to see the command to load the WDM drivers, and how can I see if it is
> being deleted on reboot as a possible explanation for their
> disappearance on reboot. And where on the HD would I also find them,
> other than the location I install them from. I am running a FAT32
> system. I have no viruses or Trojans etc as I have been checking
> regularly. Has anybody else seen any disappearing drivers, and how can
> I make them stay. Any and all help will be GREATLY APPREACIATED !!!!
>

> Thanks in advance for all the help,
>
> Ralph Malph

a b \ Driver
July 9, 2004 8:45:51 AM

Thanks for help, but still got problem, I have already followed the
instructions for install many times in the order recommended by ATI, I
even had ATI walk me through it. Still have the WDM drivers
disappearing. I don't know if they are getting erased from the
registry or the hard drive or what. Anybody have any Ideas on where
in the reg I can look to see if it is getting removed ?

Again thanks for help Nathan and Bobby. Any other ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Ralph Malph

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 01:21:59 -0700, Nathan McNulty
<525676@betaweb.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> uninstall display drivers, and reboot process all over again. Any Idea
>> why these drivers will not stick around. I know that I have to have my
>> Anti-Virus disabled in order to get the drivers to install, and for
>> all my testing and rebooting I have been keeping it disabled, so that
>> it should not be part of the problem. Where would I go in the Registry
>> to see the command to load the WDM drivers, and how can I see if it is
>> being deleted on reboot as a possible explanation for their
>> disappearance on reboot. And where on the HD would I also find them,
>> other than the location I install them from. I am running a FAT32
>> system. I have no viruses or Trojans etc as I have been checking
>> regularly. Has anybody else seen any disappearing drivers, and how can
>> I make them stay. Any and all help will be GREATLY APPREACIATED !!!!

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 9, 2004 8:45:52 AM

Right about now is when I backup all of my data and do a clean install
of Windows. Takes a while for me to get to that point, but it is a good
solution when nothing else works ;)

Nathan McNulty

Ralph Malph wrote:

> [...]
>>>uninstall display drivers, and reboot process all over again. Any Idea
>>>why these drivers will not stick around. I know that I have to have my
>>>Anti-Virus disabled in order to get the drivers to install, and for
>>>all my testing and rebooting I have been keeping it disabled, so that
>>>it should not be part of the problem. Where would I go in the Registry
>>>to see the command to load the WDM drivers, and how can I see if it is
>>>being deleted on reboot as a possible explanation for their
>>>disappearance on reboot. And where on the HD would I also find them,
>>>other than the location I install them from. I am running a FAT32
>>>system. I have no viruses or Trojans etc as I have been checking
>>>regularly. Has anybody else seen any disappearing drivers, and how can
>>>I make them stay. Any and all help will be GREATLY APPREACIATED !!!!

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 12, 2004 12:51:07 AM

I have considered doing just that, but considering that I have an Icon
on every square inch of my 1024x768 screen it is not something I
relish doing. 1/2 of me says I have been needing to do this kind of
"house cleaning" for a long time the other says you don't really have
time to do it. And my curiosity and belief that failure is not an
option tells me that I want to find out what the problem really is. I
have been in the PC support bus. for over 10 yrs and this is a first
for this type of problem, and I really really want to know what could
be causing this to happen ! I have a support issue opened with ATI on
this matter and will wait for their answer before I take the plunge.

Thanks for your help,

Ralph Malph

!