XP home won't let me install new driver

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a Radeon 9700Pro and I need to put the latest drivers on. So, I turn
off system restore and uninstall the drivers from add/remove. So far so
good. But then I have to reboot to complete the uninstall process, and
here's where XP automatically puts on the old drivers (complete with a
little icon telling me this) without any input from me! How on earth am I
supposed to update my GFX card driver?

Thanks for any help (getting desperate) ;(
2 answers Last reply
More about home install driver
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Try this:

    1. Use this utility to remove all ATI stuff from your computer:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

    2. Install the latest video card drivers from here (new 4.7 released today):
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-03-040610a-016126c.exe

    That should take care of it. If Windows installs drivers for it after
    reboot from the uninstall utility, don't worry about it. Just install
    the new drivers ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Di Farker wrote:

    > I have a Radeon 9700Pro and I need to put the latest drivers on. So, I turn
    > off system restore and uninstall the drivers from add/remove. So far so
    > good. But then I have to reboot to complete the uninstall process, and
    > here's where XP automatically puts on the old drivers (complete with a
    > little icon telling me this) without any input from me! How on earth am I
    > supposed to update my GFX card driver?
    >
    > Thanks for any help (getting desperate) ;(

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini/Basevideo. Reboot.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Di Farker" <diannefarker@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Radeon 9700Pro and I need to put the latest drivers on. So, I turn
    > off system restore and uninstall the drivers from add/remove. So far so
    > good. But then I have to reboot to complete the uninstall process, and
    > here's where XP automatically puts on the old drivers (complete with a
    > little icon telling me this) without any input from me! How on earth am I
    > supposed to update my GFX card driver?
    >
    > Thanks for any help (getting desperate) ;(

Drivers Microsoft Windows XP