XP home won't let me install new driver

a b \ Driver
July 8, 2004 12:46:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have a Radeon 9700Pro and I need to put the latest drivers on. So, I turn
off system restore and uninstall the drivers from add/remove. So far so
good. But then I have to reboot to complete the uninstall process, and
here's where XP automatically puts on the old drivers (complete with a
little icon telling me this) without any input from me! How on earth am I
supposed to update my GFX card driver?

Thanks for any help (getting desperate) ;(

More about : home install driver

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 8, 2004 12:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Try this:

1. Use this utility to remove all ATI stuff from your computer:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

2. Install the latest video card drivers from here (new 4.7 released today):
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-03-04061...

That should take care of it. If Windows installs drivers for it after
reboot from the uninstall utility, don't worry about it. Just install
the new drivers ;)

Nathan McNulty

Di Farker wrote:

> I have a Radeon 9700Pro and I need to put the latest drivers on. So, I turn
> off system restore and uninstall the drivers from add/remove. So far so
> good. But then I have to reboot to complete the uninstall process, and
> here's where XP automatically puts on the old drivers (complete with a
> little icon telling me this) without any input from me! How on earth am I
> supposed to update my GFX card driver?
>
> Thanks for any help (getting desperate) ;(

July 8, 2004 12:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini/Basevideo. Reboot.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP