Operating System Hard drive.

I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
my hard drive. ugh!.
We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
carrying the operating system.
Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
normal and have the op sys on C:\
5 answers Last reply
More about operating system hard drive

    About the only way to get it back to "C" is to re-install XP. This time,
    make sure you don't have anything attached to the computer except the mouse,
    keyboard, and monitor. If you have the drive partitioned, make sure you
    install to the 1st partition. Also, follow the instructions from the
    following link to assure a painless install.
    Thanks to Michael Stevens

    LOL, JAX

    "Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
    > my hard drive. ugh!.
    > We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
    > running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
    > to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
    > operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
    > It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
    > carrying the operating system.
    > Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
    > normal and have the op sys on C:\

    Hi Jax,
    vmt for that. As soon as I work up enough courage I will
    give it another go.
    regards
    Sid

    There is a procedure to rename the system drive, but Microsoft doesn't
    recommend it (even though there's an article in the KB).

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188&Product=winxp

    Mike D.

    "Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
    > my hard drive. ugh!.
    > We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
    > running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
    > to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
    > operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
    > It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
    > carrying the operating system.
    > Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
    > normal and have the op sys on C:\

    Hi Mike,

    I have read that article before. The way I understand it, the warning "Do
    not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on
    a computer where the drive letter has not changed." would apply directly to
    the OP since the letter was assigned at installation of the OS and using
    that procedure would put him at the highest risk of failure. Additionally,
    judging by the information in the post, I doubt that the OP is prepared to
    dive into the registry.

    FWIW, JAX

    "Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
    > There is a procedure to rename the system drive, but Microsoft doesn't
    > recommend it (even though there's an article in the KB).

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188&Product=winxp

    > Mike D.
    >
    > "Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
    > > my hard drive. ugh!.
    > > We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
    > > running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
    > > to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
    > > operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
    > > It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
    > > carrying the operating system.
    > > Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
    > > normal and have the op sys on C:\

    Just a thought, but you could always try Partition Magic which has the
    ability to rename drives/partitions and fix all links within the OS to
    point to the drive. Only problem is that software costs $$$

    Nathan McNulty

    JAX wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I have read that article before. The way I understand it, the warning "Do
    > not use the procedure that is described in this article to change a drive on
    > a computer where the drive letter has not changed." would apply directly to
    > the OP since the letter was assigned at installation of the OS and using
    > that procedure would put him at the highest risk of failure. Additionally,
    > judging by the information in the post, I doubt that the OP is prepared to
    > dive into the registry.
    >
    > FWIW, JAX
    >
    > "Mike D" <mgdonnelly.not@att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>There is a procedure to rename the system drive, but Microsoft doesn't
    >>recommend it (even though there's an article in the KB).
    >>

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223188&Product=winxp
    >
    >>Mike D.
    >>
    >>"Sid" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I recently had so many problems I was advised to reformat
    >>>my hard drive. ugh!.
    >>>We went ahead but it was a very difficult task I am
    >>>running XP Pro and it didn't want to let me do it.
    >>>to cut a very long story short we managed to do it but the
    >>>operating system appeared on drive F:\ instead of C:\.
    >>>It seems that I can change any drive name except the drive
    >>>carrying the operating system.
    >>>Does anyone know any better? I woud love to return to
    >>>normal and have the op sys on C:\

Hard Drives Windows XP