Firewire drives

peter

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-GRX516MD) running Windows
XP SP1.

Using the s400 iLink (firewire 400) port I am trying to
access a Lacie external hardrive.

The disk is being recognised but is inaccessible. Device
manager displays a code 10 "The device failed to start"
message.

The disk works just fine when connected via USB and works
just fine when connected to an Apple MAC via firwire.

Anybody got any ideas?

Does your Vaio laptop have a six wire Firewire port? Many
laptops use the 4 wire port style.