Crashed computer

mark

I have:
Asus SK8N motherboard w/ nforce3 Pro 150 chipset AGP8X
Athalon 64 FX-51 CAG 101 processor
Seagate 120GB SATA 150 8MB Cache
I turned on computer one day and could not get past Windows XP splash screen.
I tried booting in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, boot to last known good setup. Nothing worked. In safe mode w/command prompt it always hangs up at ....??disk# partition#(not sure right now all the crud it had in path but ends with the following)...system32/mup.sys
When I try the setup disc with XP on it (provided by Cyberpower) it starts setup asks if I need to load any other drivers, (I hit enter to skip since I wasn't sent any floppy at all) then after looking like it's going to load..it then tells me it can't find any large capacity storage devices. I am getting the run around from tech. support.
I have been down for 2-1/2 weeks. Is there any way to save the data on my H/D?
What can/must I do to get this box up and running?
PLEASE note***Any help offered should be simple as I don't quite understand all the technical jargon you guys are capable of.
Thanks,

--
Mark

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have:
| Asus SK8N motherboard w/ nforce3 Pro 150 chipset AGP8X
| Athalon 64 FX-51 CAG 101 processor
| Seagate 120GB SATA 150 8MB Cache
| I turned on computer one day and could not get past Windows XP splash
screen.
| I tried booting in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, boot to last
known good setup. Nothing worked. In safe mode w/command prompt it always
hangs up at ....??disk# partition#(not sure right now all the crud it had in
path but ends with the following)...system32/mup.sys
| When I try the setup disc with XP on it (provided by Cyberpower) it starts
setup asks if I need to load any other drivers, (I hit enter to skip since I
wasn't sent any floppy at all) then after looking like it's going to
load..it then tells me it can't find any large capacity storage devices. I
am getting the run around from tech. support.
| I have been down for 2-1/2 weeks. Is there any way to save the data on my
H/D?
| What can/must I do to get this box up and running?
| PLEASE note***Any help offered should be simple as I don't quite
understand all the technical jargon you guys are capable of.
| Thanks,
|
| --
| Mark

Hi Mark -

If you're going to be reinstalling Windows XP (even a repair install),
you're going to need to get the SATA driver from Asus' website and put it on
a floppy. You may also wish to download the SK8N motherboard manual while
you're there, if you don't already have it (it will be in Adobe Reader .pdf
format).

When prompted, press F6 and insert the floppy in the drive. The XP
installer won't be able to find your SATA drive until it has a driver for
it.

Jef

Craig

Regarding why you can't boot off the HD, I'm not sure. As far as why the install CD can't find any mass storage devices is likely because you have an SATA hard drive. I believe SATA devices are still in the same category as SCSI devices as far as Windows is concerned and require a driver to be loaded. When loading the setup you probably need to prompt it to load additional drivers (F8?) and then load the drivers for the SATA chipset. You will need to temporarily install a floppy drive for this, your motherboard does have a floppy controller you can connect to but it may need to be enabled in BIOS.

A second alternative would be to see if you can borrow an IDE hard drive (HD technology used for the last 15 years or more) from someone, attach it to the motherboard (on one of the standard IDE controllers, not a RAID controller) and install windows to that disk. That way you shouldn't need any drivers during the install itself, Windows will load and you can then use your CDROM drive to finish installing drivers. Once you have the appropriate drivers loaded for your SATA controller (refer to Asus documentation or web site) you should be able to see the contents of your existing disk, confirm that your data is still there and possibly back up or repair the drive.

I know this isn't very simple but I hope it is enough to get you moving in the right direction. Good luck!

-Craig

"Mark" wrote:

> I have:
> Asus SK8N motherboard w/ nforce3 Pro 150 chipset AGP8X
> Athalon 64 FX-51 CAG 101 processor
> Seagate 120GB SATA 150 8MB Cache
> When I try the setup disc with XP on it (provided by Cyberpower) it starts setup asks if I need to load any other drivers, (I hit enter to skip since I wasn't sent any floppy at all) then after looking like it's going to load..it then tells me it can't find any large capacity storage devices.

Hello

best to to do is either go to your friends or buddies
house and have him setup your drive as a slave and
get your data off. Or purchase a new drive load the OS
and setup your old drive as a slave.

Al