Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

K8V SE Deluxe, XP SP2, Stop Error

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 18, 2004 4:07:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi all,

My new system has been working OK for the last 2 days, although it took some
effort and several BSODs with Bug Check 0x8E to get to that point. Today I
added a second CD drive as a slave to the secondary IDE where there was
already a DVD RW drive. I put an audio CD into the latter and ran some
trusted piece of software installation from the former. When the software
installation was at its final point I got this Bug Check again, this time
mentioning problem with the win32k.sys (previously it never pointed to a
specific driver). It took me several reboots into safe mode and deleting the
second CD drive until I was able to boot normally again... Google returns a
lot of hits on similar problems and the conclusion seems to be that this is
a bug related to the SP2... Do I need to uninstall it? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
/MM
November 18, 2004 9:34:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <feCdnfC1kbvJoQHcRVn-2A@rogers.com>, "MM" <mbmsv@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My new system has been working OK for the last 2 days, although it took some
> effort and several BSODs with Bug Check 0x8E to get to that point. Today I
> added a second CD drive as a slave to the secondary IDE where there was
> already a DVD RW drive. I put an audio CD into the latter and ran some
> trusted piece of software installation from the former. When the software
> installation was at its final point I got this Bug Check again, this time
> mentioning problem with the win32k.sys (previously it never pointed to a
> specific driver). It took me several reboots into safe mode and deleting the
> second CD drive until I was able to boot normally again... Google returns a
> lot of hits on similar problems and the conclusion seems to be that this is
> a bug related to the SP2... Do I need to uninstall it? Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> /MM

Try running the system with one stick of RAM. This could
be a memory problem. If you are using two sticks of RAM,
they go in slot 1 and slot 3. See "Table 1" in the manual
and look at the 18th line in the table. That line is the
best config for two sticks of RAM. When using a single
stick, Slot 3 (furthest from the processor) is the one
to use.

Get a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
and make a boot floppy by using the memtest86 program.
Run the memory test overnight. The second test to run,
is get a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org . Use the
"Torture Test" option, to test that the processor and
memory work properly together. Both of these tests
should be completely error free in an overnight test,
before you can conclude there are no memory problems.

If those two tests are clean, then the next thing to
consider is a software driver has a bug.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x8e

HTH,
Paul
November 18, 2004 12:56:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
news:nospam-1811040635050001@192.168.1.177...
> In article <feCdnfC1kbvJoQHcRVn-2A@rogers.com>, "MM" <mbmsv@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>
> Try running the system with one stick of RAM.

There is only one stick and it is in the blue slot.
>
>
> Get a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
> and make a boot floppy by using the memtest86 program.
> Run the memory test overnight. The second test to run,
> is get a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org . Use the
> "Torture Test" option, to test that the processor and
> memory work properly together. Both of these tests
> should be completely error free in an overnight test,
> before you can conclude there are no memory problems.
>
> If those two tests are clean, then the next thing to
> consider is a software driver has a bug.

Thanks for your help Paul.

I will do as you say but it really looks like a software bug. In fact, I
tried enabling driver verify on unsigned drivers and drivers generated for
previous OS versions and it made system more unstable. It would BSOD at
random returning 0xC4 bug check code.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddto...

Unfortunately, despite the fact that I disabled automatic reboot, in this
case it would reboot immediately not giving me a chance to read the
screen... Among the drivers I enabled for verification there was the 1GB LAN
driver, I can't remember its name, but it came with the motherboard...

/MM
November 24, 2004 11:23:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message
news:nospam-1811040635050001@192.168.1.177...
> In article <feCdnfC1kbvJoQHcRVn-2A@rogers.com>, "MM" <mbmsv@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>
> Try running the system with one stick of RAM. This could
> be a memory problem. If you are using two sticks of RAM,
> they go in slot 1 and slot 3. See "Table 1" in the manual
> and look at the 18th line in the table. That line is the
> best config for two sticks of RAM. When using a single
> stick, Slot 3 (furthest from the processor) is the one
> to use.
>
> Get a copy of memtest86 from memtest.org
> and make a boot floppy by using the memtest86 program.
> Run the memory test overnight. The second test to run,
> is get a copy of Prime95 from mersenne.org . Use the
> "Torture Test" option, to test that the processor and
> memory work properly together. Both of these tests
> should be completely error free in an overnight test,
> before you can conclude there are no memory problems.
>

I did both memtest86 and Prime95, I uninstalled SP2, I then was forced to
reinstall XP from scratch (this time I left it at SP1, however added some
critical updates), but the problem is still there! It is mostly 0x8E on
reboot, but yesterday I got the 0xC5 when I moved my mouse to wake the
monitor up. This seems to point to some driver... Any ideas how to debug
this?

Thanks,
/MM
!