Floopy Drive runs on its own

Sometimes the floppy drive will start spinning all by
itself, even when I am not using the computer, and there
is no disc in it.

Any ideas??

When does this happen? The usual causes are when you open a program that
last saved data to a floppy drive. Programs such as Microsoft Office
programs and anything that has an output file that can be saved to a
floppy. If the floppy is the last accessed place, it will do that.
Also, on bootup, the floppy should "spin" or search for a floppy. Hope
this helps explain that a little ;)

Nathan McNulty

BANANA wrote:

> Sometimes the floppy drive will start spinning all by
> itself, even when I am not using the computer, and there
> is no disc in it.
>
> Any ideas??

I think it usually does happen after I have accessed/saved
Excel files to the floppy. But, the floppy spins
occasionaly long after (hours) I have closed Excel,
removed the floppy disc, and have not used the computer at
all in that time. It just starts spinning for no apparent
reason for about 10 seconds at a time, stops, and then
will spin again some time later.

I know about the bootup, but this is a different issue.

Well, I know Windows is searching for a floppy. What I don't know is
why. I have not had a floppy drive for about two years, so I'm sorry if
I'm not more helpful. It seems that you have a program (could be a
service or even Office Update type of program) running in the
background. Try clearing your Recent Files and check the options on
your Floppy Drive.

My last thought it this: It could by your AntiVirus searching for a
floppy to scan it for viruses. I would recommend checking the settings
on your AntiVirus and see if having it not scan the floppy drive stops
the problem ;)

Nathan McNulty