kyle

hi,
all of a sudden while listening to music on my computer
the sound stopped. I tried checking the status of the
sound devices from the control panel but the options were
greyed out. i looked in device manager and found two
devices; Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller and Kernel Audio
Splitter. There is a common problem with both of these
which reads:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware
because there is a duplicate device already running in
the system. (Code 42)

I have looked up this error code on your site and
numerous others and the only solution i cna find is to
restart my computer. This, however has no effect
whatsoever on the devices. Do you have any ideas???

Try this, open device manager again. Right click on everything that says
Audio on it, and select remove (or uninstall), now reboot. Windows
should reinstall the drivers for them. ;)

Nathan McNulty

kyle wrote:

> hi,
> all of a sudden while listening to music on my computer
> the sound stopped. I tried checking the status of the
> sound devices from the control panel but the options were
> greyed out. i looked in device manager and found two
> devices; Kernel Acoustic Echo Canceller and Kernel Audio
> Splitter. There is a common problem with both of these
> which reads:
>
> Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware
> because there is a duplicate device already running in
> the system. (Code 42)
>
> I have looked up this error code on your site and
> numerous others and the only solution i cna find is to
> restart my computer. This, however has no effect
> whatsoever on the devices. Do you have any ideas???

kyle

hi

i have tried this solution but it does not work, all the
devices come back with the same problem. somebody please
help me..

Three things:

First, install the latest chipset drivers as Cari said. Even though you
are not using on-board sound, you may need to update them for the PCI
controller to make the propertion with your sound card.

Second, get the most up to date software/drivers for your sound card.
You did not post what sound card it is, unless you are bonnie :) Then go
to RealTek's website and search their support section for the drivers.

Finally, this is huge, check your settings in Audio Properties. Make
sure that your system is not set to mute, make sure you have the sound
turned up, *make sure your speakers are properly plugged into the sound
card* as well as powered on, and make sure that you don't have settings
enabled that your speakers can't do (such as digital output only).

If you want help finding any drivesr, just post the make and model of
your motherboard/sound card and I'll give you a link to the latest
drivers ;)

Nathan McNulty