My logic board burned out and I had to replace it. I
cannot find the same identical board. My hard drive was
not damaged and has all of the programs and data on it.
Is there any utility that will allow me to connect the
hard drive to a new logic board and be recognized? The
operating system on the hard disk is Windows XP
Professional with SP-1.

You will most likely need to perform a Repair Installation to properly
detect the new hardware:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

The above may not be possible if Windows XP is OEM.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Draper" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My logic board burned out and I had to replace it. I
> cannot find the same identical board. My hard drive was
> not damaged and has all of the programs and data on it.
> Is there any utility that will allow me to connect the
> hard drive to a new logic board and be recognized? The
> operating system on the hard disk is Windows XP
> Professional with SP-1.

"Draper" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My logic board burned out and I had to replace it. I
> cannot find the same identical board. My hard drive was
> not damaged and has all of the programs and data on it.
> Is there any utility that will allow me to connect the
> hard drive to a new logic board and be recognized? The
> operating system on the hard disk is Windows XP
> Professional with SP-1.

When you say the logic board burned out, what exactly are you referring to?

Generally, a logic board is referring to the motherboard in a Macintosh.
Not sure, but I'm guessing they used to use a Mac or are using Virtual
Windows :)

Here are some sample pics :)
http://www.micromac.com/whats_new/logic_board_picture.html

Nathan McNulty

D.Currie wrote:
> "Draper" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>My logic board burned out and I had to replace it. I
>>cannot find the same identical board. My hard drive was
>>not damaged and has all of the programs and data on it.
>>Is there any utility that will allow me to connect the
>>hard drive to a new logic board and be recognized? The
>>operating system on the hard disk is Windows XP
>>Professional with SP-1.
>

> When you say the logic board burned out, what exactly are you referring to?

Well, since he never posted back, I guess we'll never know. I have a
relative who makes up names for things or substitutes words he's heard but
doesn't know the meaning of, then calls me up for tech support and expects
me to know what he'd talking about. Makes for some interesting
conversations.

My guess was that in this case it was either the motherboard or the
controller on the hard drive.

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
> Generally, a logic board is referring to the motherboard in a Macintosh.
> Not sure, but I'm guessing they used to use a Mac or are using Virtual
> Windows :)
>
> Here are some sample pics :)
> http://www.micromac.com/whats_new/logic_board_picture.html
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> D.Currie wrote:
> > "Draper" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>My logic board burned out and I had to replace it. I
> >>cannot find the same identical board. My hard drive was
> >>not damaged and has all of the programs and data on it.
> >>Is there any utility that will allow me to connect the
> >>hard drive to a new logic board and be recognized? The
> >>operating system on the hard disk is Windows XP
> >>Professional with SP-1.
> >

> > When you say the logic board burned out, what exactly are you referring
to?

If he ever checks back, maybe he'll see the dozens of posts
with instructions to do a repair install when changing
motherboards.