Need good heatsink for p4p800se northbridge.

Hello,

Can you guys show me some nice replacement for the stock p4p800se NB sink?
Stock is the black fin one with hook clips on little ringy. I've only found
the thermalright 1 copper piece version. Does any other fit? Preferrably
without adhesives.

TIA.
2 answers Last reply
More about need good heatsink p4p800se northbridge

    In article <cnkh41$ict1@imsp212.netvigator.com>, "Bronney Hui"
    <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Can you guys show me some nice replacement for the stock p4p800se NB sink?
    > Stock is the black fin one with hook clips on little ringy. I've only found
    > the thermalright 1 copper piece version. Does any other fit? Preferrably
    > without adhesives.
    >
    > TIA.

    Flip through the pictures here until you see something you like:

    http://www.altavista.com/image/results?q=northbridge+heatsink

    Looking at a picture of the motherboard in the P4P800SE user
    manual, I can see you are going to have a problem. There aren't
    the two holes on diagonal corners that exist on a lot of boards.
    Instead, they have those crazy solder-posts and springs to hold
    down the heatsink. Most after-market NB heatsinks have two "arms"
    on them, that you adjust until they line up with the two holes
    in the motherboard. I don't remember seeing any after market ones
    compatible with the solder-post hold down scheme. And, I don't
    recommend thermal epoxy, due to its permanence and warranty voiding
    properties.

    What is wrong with the one on the motherboard now ? If it isn't
    making good contact, remove the springs, remove the heatsink,
    and use some Arctic Silver on it. Once that is done, if the
    heatsink gets too hot to touch for more than 2 seconds, buy a
    40mm fan, and jam screws through the mounting holes in the fan
    and between the last two fins on either end of the heatsink.
    The fin spacing is generally perfect for the size of screw
    normally used to hold a fan. It the heatsink is cool enough
    that you can leave your hand on it, then it likely is getting
    enough cooling and doesn't need any more assistance.

    If the motherboard is malfunctioning, due to some kind of
    problem with the Northbridge, then RMA the thing and get
    one that works. That way, you won't risk the warranty by
    damaging something while changing the heatsink.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> ¦b¶l¥ó news:nospam-2011040539440001@192.168.1.177
    ¤¤¼¶¼g...
    > In article <cnkh41$ict1@imsp212.netvigator.com>, "Bronney Hui"
    > <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Can you guys show me some nice replacement for the stock p4p800se NB
    sink?
    > > Stock is the black fin one with hook clips on little ringy. I've only
    found
    > > the thermalright 1 copper piece version. Does any other fit?
    Preferrably
    > > without adhesives.
    > >
    > > TIA.
    >
    > Flip through the pictures here until you see something you like:
    >
    > http://www.altavista.com/image/results?q=northbridge+heatsink
    >
    > Looking at a picture of the motherboard in the P4P800SE user
    > manual, I can see you are going to have a problem. There aren't
    > the two holes on diagonal corners that exist on a lot of boards.
    > Instead, they have those crazy solder-posts and springs to hold
    > down the heatsink. Most after-market NB heatsinks have two "arms"
    > on them, that you adjust until they line up with the two holes
    > in the motherboard. I don't remember seeing any after market ones
    > compatible with the solder-post hold down scheme. And, I don't
    > recommend thermal epoxy, due to its permanence and warranty voiding
    > properties.

    Thanks Paul. I don't really need to change it, and already got a 4cm 6k rpm
    fan on it. The problem is actually the sink's fins are quite far apart.
    What I did was plier the fins to make them narrower for the screws.
    However, only 2 screws are bit in, the other 2 is just there held in place
    but not really holding the fan tight.

    It's not having vibrations though. And I think the NB as of now is doing
    fine. I just don't like the fact that something's not 100% tight in the
    box. And thought of changing the heatsink, those regular ones with comb
    stick fins where it's easier to plier together for a tighter fit.

    :)

Asus Heatsinks Thermalright Motherboards