Help? P4P800 Really slow bootup - a lot of HDD activity be..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Hi all,

I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after bootup
which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going like
crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't being
used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running at
the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in UDMA5.
Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.

I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:

Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
Intel IDE:
Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
VIA IDE:
Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
SCSI:
IBM 4Gb HDD
Iomega ZIP removeable
SyQuest 200Mb removeable
ATI Radeon 9000
ATI TV-Wonder

p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be the
cause?
Thanks,
Wm

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

indexing is enabled? office fast find installed?

"William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time
after bootup
> which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad,
and I
> get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is
going like
> crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I
can
> actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
> Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as
disk
> defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came
when I
> switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which
isn't being
> used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my
ATAPI
> optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
> unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives
running at
> the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in
UDMA5.
> Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup
time.

> I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
>
> Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
> Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
> Intel IDE:
> Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
> Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
> Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
> VIA IDE:
> Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
> Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
> Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
> SCSI:
> IBM 4Gb HDD
> Iomega ZIP removeable
> SyQuest 200Mb removeable
> ATI Radeon 9000
> ATI TV-Wonder
>
> p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might
be the
> cause?
> Thanks,
> Wm

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

>I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after bootup
>which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad......snip

XP does a trick that gets many people. It shows the desktop long
before the system is done booting up. This is almost certainly what
you are describing. Sure a clean install starts faster since less
things are loading.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:40:36 -0500 The moonlight laughed on the
blade's edge when "William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca>
wrote :

>Hi all,
>
>I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after bootup
>which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
>get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going like
>crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
>actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
>Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
>defrags on my HDDs. The most noticable jump in time to wait came when I
>switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't being
>used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
>optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support). This was
>unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives running at
>the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in UDMA5.
>Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.
>
>I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
>
>Intel P4 2.4Ghz HT enabled
>Asus P4P800 Deluxe (w/2x 512Mb dual channel =1Gb)
> Intel IDE:
> Primary: Sony DVD-RW (DRU-530A) -master
> Secondary: LiteOn CD-RW -master
> Secondary: Pioneer DVD-A05 -slave
> VIA IDE:
> Primary: WD 120Gb (System) -master
> Primary: WD 120Gb -slave
> Secondary: Quantum 6.4Gb -master
> SCSI:
> IBM 4Gb HDD
> Iomega ZIP removeable
> SyQuest 200Mb removeable
>ATI Radeon 9000
>ATI TV-Wonder
>
>p.s. I heard something a while back that the VIA controller might be the
>cause?
>Thanks,
>Wm

Disable file indexing on the drives(Useless option) and also clean out
your Prefetch Folder in the windows folder.
Tips and tricks on here,
http://www25.brinkster.com/chirisoft/speedxp.htm
SpeedXP,
TweakUI for XP.
Disable unneeded services,
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
Disable hibernation unless you really want it also.

Loads more on here,
http://www.winxpfix.com/
http://www.tipsdr.com/

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Thanks,

I will try to weed down some of my startup items and run the speedXP - as
well as turn off indexing (how do I turn off indexing?)

Thanks,
Wm

"Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> your Prefetch Folder in the windows folder.
> Tips and tricks on here,
> http://www25.brinkster.com/chirisoft/speedxp.htm
> SpeedXP,
> TweakUI for XP.
> Disable unneeded services,
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm
> Disable hibernation unless you really want it also.
>
> Loads more on here,
> http://www.winxpfix.com/
> http://www.tipsdr.com/
>
> HTH :)
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> remove obvious to reply
> email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
> Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:35:17 -0500 The moonlight laughed on the

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1335.aspx

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Thanks so much.

That's one down....

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:35:17 -0500 The moonlight laughed on the
> blade's edge when "William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca>
> wrote :
>
> >Thanks,
> >
> >I will try to weed down some of my startup items and run the speedXP - as
> >well as turn off indexing (how do I turn off indexing?)
>
> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1335.aspx
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> remove obvious to reply
> email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
> Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after
> bootup
> which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and I
> get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going
> like
> crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
> actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
> Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
> defrags on my HDDs.

> switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't
> being
> used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
> optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support).<<<<<<<

> This was unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives
> running at
> the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in
> UDMA5.
> Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup time.
>
> I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:

XP is hunting for things that you moved.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Oh, that makes sense, is there anyway to tell XP where everything is now
manually, instead of having it hunt everytime it loads up?

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "William Cheng" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've been noticing a problem get progressively worst - the time after
> > bootup
> > which I can start using WinXP. The actual boot up is not that bad, and
> > get my desktop quite quickly, however, the HDD activity light is going
> > like
> > crazy, and I can hear my HDD working overtime for a while before I can
> > actually use WinXP. I have checked all the usual suspects like
> > Spy/Ad/wares, or virus and I perform regular mantenances such as disk
> > defrags on my HDDs.

> > switched my system HDD to a secondary VIA RAID controller (which isn't
> > being
> > used as a RAID) - to use my Intel ICH5 controller to control my ATAPI
> > optical drives (which my VIA controller doesn't support).<<<<<<<
>
> > This was unfortunately the only way I can get all 3 of my optical drives
> > running at
> > the same time. I checked that the VIA controller is transferring in
> > UDMA5.
> > Once everything is running, everything seems fine - just the bootup
time.

> > I am still on WinXP SP1a and my system specs are:
>
> XP is hunting for things that you moved.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Its taking me around 1minute 10seconds to load WinXP to get a desktop

But when I get the desktop - the HDD grinds on for another minute before I
can really use WinXP

So total time is around 2:10 or 2:20 for boot up (how does this fair - my
laptop certainly boots up and is usable in 40-50sec)

William Cheng wrote:

> Oh, that makes sense, is there anyway to tell XP where everything is now
> manually, instead of having it hunt everytime it loads up?

If no drive letters changed then everything is where it should be.

> Its taking me around 1minute 10seconds to load WinXP to get a desktop
>
> But when I get the desktop - the HDD grinds on for another minute before I
> can really use WinXP
>
> So total time is around 2:10 or 2:20 for boot up (how does this fair - my
> laptop certainly boots up and is usable in 40-50sec)

I haven't seen any mention of how much RAM you have. If you are short of RAM
it could cause a lot of disk thrashing because of swapping.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

you shep haven't seen you since looking around the elitegroup newsgroup.
i've still got my k7s5a.