Best imaging software for SATA

I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging software
is?

Thanks
20 answers Last reply
More about best imaging software sata

    These products are gets the the most acclaim on these groups:
    BootItNG (www.bootitng.com) has a full function trial version
    Acrinis TrueImage (www.acronis.com) has a 15-day trial version (will not
    restore)
    Symantec/Norton Ghost 9.0
    (http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ ) (includes version
    2003)

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "John McCoy" <johnm160@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    > currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging
    software
    > is?
    >
    > Thanks

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:42:01 -0500, "John McCoy"
    <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging software
    >is?
    >
    >Thanks

    No issues using Acronis with my P4C800E-Deluxe XP/SP2 and WD Raptor
    74g SATA system. Can't speak about any of the other imaging programs
    out there.

    Ender

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

    I a would recommend Ghost 9 - which has nothing in common with
    previous versions.

    "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    rolvp0dugugv0hi8qqi5uh20kvsabpn25l@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:42:01 -0500, "John McCoy"
    > <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >>currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging
    >>software
    >>is?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    > No issues using Acronis with my P4C800E-Deluxe XP/SP2 and WD Raptor
    > 74g SATA system. Can't speak about any of the other imaging programs
    > out there.
    >
    > Ender
    >
    > "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    > nothing." Edmund Burke

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:55:11 +0200, "Thomas Wendell"
    <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >These products are gets the the most acclaim on these groups:
    >BootItNG (www.bootitng.com) has a full function trial version
    >Acrinis TrueImage (www.acronis.com) has a 15-day trial version (will not
    >restore)
    >Symantec/Norton Ghost 9.0
    >(http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ ) (includes version
    >2003)

    Acronis won some Editor's Choice awards when Drive Image got a little
    long in the tooth. I switched to it, but I can't recommend it. It
    seems to be getting flakier and less stable with newer versions. I'm
    now back to Norton Ghost 9 which, by the way, is absolutely nothing
    but a rebadged version of PowerQuest's (now owned by Symantec) V2i
    Protector Desktop. Nevertheless, it seems to work a little more
    reliably for me than Acronis True Image 8. The latter is frequently
    giving cryptic failure messages, too frequently requiring
    reinstallation, and even in the latest build is incapable of
    automatically splitting image files into parts that are correctly
    sized for burning onto DVD for off-site storage. There is a lot of
    really sloppy irresponsible programming in True Image, and it's
    getting worse.
    Ron

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:47:22 -0500, Ender
    <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:42:01 -0500, "John McCoy"
    ><johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >>currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging software
    >>is?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    Drive Image 7 gave me a real fright when I needed to use it. I had a
    hard disk failure on my system drive, but thought I was OK because I
    had backup images. After booting from the recovery CD (PQRE) I tried
    to run a restore but it told me my backup images were corrupt! This
    was despite my verifying the images after creation. It turned out that
    under PQRE it would not deal correctly with the compression system
    used by DI7. The solution was to install a temporary verion of XP so I
    could access the backup image files, then installed DI7, then
    re-exported the backup image in uncompressed format. Re-boot from the
    CD and restored the original image (it was happy with the uncompressed
    files) by over-writing the temporary XP installation.

    Before I figured that one out I had moved the new replacement disk
    over to another computer temporarily, also with DI7 installed where I
    keep another copy of the backup image on it's local hard drive (yeah,
    I try to be safe...) and tried to restore the drive from there. DI7
    restore seemed to go normally, then at the end it said 'resizing file
    system'. Funny I thought - why is it doing that? So I left it to it
    for a while. Came back to it and not only was the restored image
    corrupt it had also WIPED the system disk on my second computer. Grrr!
    No way should it have touched that drive.

    That's the short story, you can maybe imagine how long it took to work
    out what the problem was in the first place... I was very fortunate
    to finally get the system back via the uncompressed images. Whether
    Ghost9 is any better I do not know but I'm very wary of drive image
    programs.

    Ron,
    I suggest you email Acronis support with your problems. They were very
    responsive to my problems in getting my Silicone Image 3112 Raid controller
    problem fixed.
    They even gave me a free copy of True Image 8 for my trouble and working with
    them.

    Lee

    >Subject: Re: Best imaging software for SATA
    >From: Milleron millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu
    >Date: 11/20/2004 11:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:55:11 +0200, "Thomas Wendell"
    ><tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>These products are gets the the most acclaim on these groups:
    >>BootItNG (www.bootitng.com) has a full function trial version
    >>Acrinis TrueImage (www.acronis.com) has a 15-day trial version (will not
    >>restore)
    >>Symantec/Norton Ghost 9.0
    >>(http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ ) (includes version
    >>2003)
    >
    >Acronis won some Editor's Choice awards when Drive Image got a little
    >long in the tooth. I switched to it, but I can't recommend it. It
    >seems to be getting flakier and less stable with newer versions. I'm
    >now back to Norton Ghost 9 which, by the way, is absolutely nothing
    >but a rebadged version of PowerQuest's (now owned by Symantec) V2i
    >Protector Desktop. Nevertheless, it seems to work a little more
    >reliably for me than Acronis True Image 8. The latter is frequently
    >giving cryptic failure messages, too frequently requiring
    >reinstallation, and even in the latest build is incapable of
    >automatically splitting image files into parts that are correctly
    >sized for burning onto DVD for off-site storage. There is a lot of
    >really sloppy irresponsible programming in True Image, and it's
    >getting worse.
    >Ron

    Thanks, that is not the same as Ghost 2003 is it?

    "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
    >I a would recommend Ghost 9 - which has nothing in common with
    > previous versions.
    >
    > "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > rolvp0dugugv0hi8qqi5uh20kvsabpn25l@4ax.com...
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:42:01 -0500, "John McCoy"
    >> <johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >>>currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging
    >>>software
    >>>is?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >> No issues using Acronis with my P4C800E-Deluxe XP/SP2 and WD Raptor
    >> 74g SATA system. Can't speak about any of the other imaging programs
    >> out there.
    >>
    >> Ender
    >>
    >> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    >> nothing." Edmund Burke

    I have used Drive Image 7 and it was fine. What type of drives are you
    using?

    "ChrisH" <chrish@easynet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:47:22 -0500, Ender
    > <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:42:01 -0500, "John McCoy"
    >><johnm160@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >>>currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging
    >>>software
    >>>is?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    > Drive Image 7 gave me a real fright when I needed to use it. I had a
    > hard disk failure on my system drive, but thought I was OK because I
    > had backup images. After booting from the recovery CD (PQRE) I tried
    > to run a restore but it told me my backup images were corrupt! This
    > was despite my verifying the images after creation. It turned out that
    > under PQRE it would not deal correctly with the compression system
    > used by DI7. The solution was to install a temporary verion of XP so I
    > could access the backup image files, then installed DI7, then
    > re-exported the backup image in uncompressed format. Re-boot from the
    > CD and restored the original image (it was happy with the uncompressed
    > files) by over-writing the temporary XP installation.
    >
    > Before I figured that one out I had moved the new replacement disk
    > over to another computer temporarily, also with DI7 installed where I
    > keep another copy of the backup image on it's local hard drive (yeah,
    > I try to be safe...) and tried to restore the drive from there. DI7
    > restore seemed to go normally, then at the end it said 'resizing file
    > system'. Funny I thought - why is it doing that? So I left it to it
    > for a while. Came back to it and not only was the restored image
    > corrupt it had also WIPED the system disk on my second computer. Grrr!
    > No way should it have touched that drive.
    >
    > That's the short story, you can maybe imagine how long it took to work
    > out what the problem was in the first place... I was very fortunate
    > to finally get the system back via the uncompressed images. Whether
    > Ghost9 is any better I do not know but I'm very wary of drive image
    > programs.

    I have never heard of that one before.

    John McCoy wrote:
    > I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    > currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging software
    > is?
    >
    > Thanks

    I suggest Ghost 9, or Drive Image 7.

    Where I work there have been Ghost vs. Drive Image flame wars for years.
    I always preferred the Drive Image user interface, and found the two
    products provided similar functionality, but leapfrogged each other with
    each new version released.

    Drive Image 7 finally eliminated the last of the annoyances - the need
    to boot DOS to back up a system partition (can now be scheduled and run
    without shutting down Windows), and the requirement to create DOS boot
    disks which were frequently hardware-specific (DI7 can boot from the
    product CD and configure networking without user intervention - required
    only for system partition restores or after drive failure).

    I guess Drive Image wins the flame wars - Symantec bought Powerquest,
    and Ghost 9 is Drive Image 7 with incremental image backup functionality
    added. The traditional Ghost user interface is no more...

    P2B

    Thanks P2B. I will end up with Drive Image 7 since I have used that for
    years and been quite happy with it.

    I wonder how it will do with SCSI and SATA drives. It always worked well
    with my SCSI's.

    John

    "P2B" <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > John McCoy wrote:
    >> I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >> currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging
    >> software is?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > I suggest Ghost 9, or Drive Image 7.
    >
    > Where I work there have been Ghost vs. Drive Image flame wars for years. I
    > always preferred the Drive Image user interface, and found the two
    > products provided similar functionality, but leapfrogged each other with
    > each new version released.
    >
    > Drive Image 7 finally eliminated the last of the annoyances - the need to
    > boot DOS to back up a system partition (can now be scheduled and run
    > without shutting down Windows), and the requirement to create DOS boot
    > disks which were frequently hardware-specific (DI7 can boot from the
    > product CD and configure networking without user intervention - required
    > only for system partition restores or after drive failure).
    >
    > I guess Drive Image wins the flame wars - Symantec bought Powerquest, and
    > Ghost 9 is Drive Image 7 with incremental image backup functionality
    > added. The traditional Ghost user interface is no more...
    >
    > P2B

    I have had the best luck with Ghost 2003.

    Bob

    "LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Ron,
    > I suggest you email Acronis support with your problems. They were very
    > responsive to my problems in getting my Silicone Image 3112 Raid
    controller
    > problem fixed.
    > They even gave me a free copy of True Image 8 for my trouble and working
    with
    > them.
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > >Subject: Re: Best imaging software for SATA
    > >From: Milleron millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu
    > >Date: 11/20/2004 11:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
    > >
    > >On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:55:11 +0200, "Thomas Wendell"
    > ><tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>These products are gets the the most acclaim on these groups:
    > >>BootItNG (www.bootitng.com) has a full function trial version
    > >>Acrinis TrueImage (www.acronis.com) has a 15-day trial version (will not
    > >>restore)
    > >>Symantec/Norton Ghost 9.0
    > >>(http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ ) (includes version
    > >>2003)
    > >
    > >Acronis won some Editor's Choice awards when Drive Image got a little
    > >long in the tooth. I switched to it, but I can't recommend it. It
    > >seems to be getting flakier and less stable with newer versions. I'm
    > >now back to Norton Ghost 9 which, by the way, is absolutely nothing
    > >but a rebadged version of PowerQuest's (now owned by Symantec) V2i
    > >Protector Desktop. Nevertheless, it seems to work a little more
    > >reliably for me than Acronis True Image 8. The latter is frequently
    > >giving cryptic failure messages, too frequently requiring
    > >reinstallation, and even in the latest build is incapable of
    > >automatically splitting image files into parts that are correctly
    > >sized for burning onto DVD for off-site storage. There is a lot of
    > >really sloppy irresponsible programming in True Image, and it's
    > >getting worse.
    > >Ron

    Does it work well with SATA and SCSI?

    John

    "Bob" <bobd2000@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >I have had the best luck with Ghost 2003.
    >
    > Bob
    >

    > "LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Ron,
    >> I suggest you email Acronis support with your problems. They were very
    >> responsive to my problems in getting my Silicone Image 3112 Raid
    > controller
    >> problem fixed.
    >> They even gave me a free copy of True Image 8 for my trouble and working
    > with
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>
    >> >Subject: Re: Best imaging software for SATA
    >> >From: Milleron millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu
    >> >Date: 11/20/2004 11:58 PM Eastern Standard Time

    >> >Acronis won some Editor's Choice awards when Drive Image got a little
    >> >long in the tooth. I switched to it, but I can't recommend it. It
    >> >seems to be getting flakier and less stable with newer versions. I'm
    >> >now back to Norton Ghost 9 which, by the way, is absolutely nothing
    >> >but a rebadged version of PowerQuest's (now owned by Symantec) V2i
    >> >Protector Desktop. Nevertheless, it seems to work a little more
    >> >reliably for me than Acronis True Image 8. The latter is frequently
    >> >giving cryptic failure messages, too frequently requiring
    >> >reinstallation, and even in the latest build is incapable of
    >> >automatically splitting image files into parts that are correctly
    >> >sized for burning onto DVD for off-site storage. There is a lot of
    >> >really sloppy irresponsible programming in True Image, and it's
    >> >getting worse.
    >> >Ron

    No, Ghost 2003 comes with Ghost 9.0 on a separate CD

    --

    > Thanks, that is not the same as Ghost 2003 is it?
    >

    > "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
    > >I a would recommend Ghost 9 - which has nothing in common with
    > > previous versions.
    > >
    > > "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > > rolvp0dugugv0hi8qqi5uh20kvsabpn25l@4ax.com...

    > >> No issues using Acronis with my P4C800E-Deluxe XP/SP2 and WD Raptor
    > >> 74g SATA system. Can't speak about any of the other imaging programs
    > >> out there.
    > >>
    > >> Ender
    > >>
    > >> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    > >> nothing." Edmund Burke

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks...

    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > No, Ghost 2003 comes with Ghost 9.0 on a separate CD
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "John McCoy" <johnm160@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> Thanks, that is not the same as Ghost 2003 is it?
    >>

    >> "FG" <nono@nowhere.ca> wrote in message
    >> >I a would recommend Ghost 9 - which has nothing in common with
    >> > previous versions.
    >> >
    >> > "Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> > rolvp0dugugv0hi8qqi5uh20kvsabpn25l@4ax.com...

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    With Ghost 9 one can schedule complete AND incremental
    backups. It is a version of ^PowerQuest Vi2 Protector
    (Drive Image 7 + incremental backups).

    As you may know Symantec (Norton) has acquired
    PowerQuest.

    >> "LeeBos" <leebos@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> Ron,
    >>> I suggest you email Acronis support with your problems. They were very
    >>> responsive to my problems in getting my Silicone Image 3112 Raid
    >> controller
    >>> problem fixed.
    >>> They even gave me a free copy of True Image 8 for my trouble and working
    >> with
    >>> them.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On 21 Nov 2004 13:43:55 GMT, leebos@aol.com (LeeBos) wrote:

    >Ron,
    >I suggest you email Acronis support with your problems. They were very
    >responsive to my problems in getting my Silicone Image 3112 Raid controller
    >problem fixed.
    >They even gave me a free copy of True Image 8 for my trouble and working with
    >them.
    >
    >Lee
    Oh, rest assured, I've emailed Acronis Tech Support. All I ever get
    is "please install our latest build." They'll do this EVEN if you
    tell them in your email that you're already using the latest build.
    The users on the Acronis forum are complaining frequently about the
    decline of this product and the worsening quality of Acronis tech
    support.

    >>Subject: Re: Best imaging software for SATA
    >>From: Milleron millerdot90@SPAMlessosu.edu
    >>Date: 11/20/2004 11:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >>
    >>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 07:55:11 +0200, "Thomas Wendell"
    >><tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>These products are gets the the most acclaim on these groups:
    >>>BootItNG (www.bootitng.com) has a full function trial version
    >>>Acrinis TrueImage (www.acronis.com) has a 15-day trial version (will not
    >>>restore)
    >>>Symantec/Norton Ghost 9.0
    >>>(http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/ ) (includes version
    >>>2003)
    >>
    >>Acronis won some Editor's Choice awards when Drive Image got a little
    >>long in the tooth. I switched to it, but I can't recommend it. It
    >>seems to be getting flakier and less stable with newer versions. I'm
    >>now back to Norton Ghost 9 which, by the way, is absolutely nothing
    >>but a rebadged version of PowerQuest's (now owned by Symantec) V2i
    >>Protector Desktop. Nevertheless, it seems to work a little more
    >>reliably for me than Acronis True Image 8. The latter is frequently
    >>giving cryptic failure messages, too frequently requiring
    >>reinstallation, and even in the latest build is incapable of
    >>automatically splitting image files into parts that are correctly
    >>sized for burning onto DVD for off-site storage. There is a lot of
    >>really sloppy irresponsible programming in True Image, and it's
    >>getting worse.
    >>Ron

    Ron
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:36:02 -0500, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >John McCoy wrote:
    >> I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >> currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging software
    >> is?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    >I suggest Ghost 9, or Drive Image 7.
    >
    >Where I work there have been Ghost vs. Drive Image flame wars for years.
    >I always preferred the Drive Image user interface, and found the two
    >products provided similar functionality, but leapfrogged each other with
    >each new version released.
    >
    >Drive Image 7 finally eliminated the last of the annoyances - the need
    >to boot DOS to back up a system partition (can now be scheduled and run
    >without shutting down Windows), and the requirement to create DOS boot
    >disks which were frequently hardware-specific (DI7 can boot from the
    >product CD and configure networking without user intervention - required
    >only for system partition restores or after drive failure).
    >
    >I guess Drive Image wins the flame wars - Symantec bought Powerquest,
    >and Ghost 9 is Drive Image 7 with incremental image backup functionality
    >added. The traditional Ghost user interface is no more...
    >
    >P2B

    Well, yes, you could put it that way. Technically speaking, though,
    Ghost 9 is a rebadged version of a different, lesser known, former
    PowerQuest product, V2i Protector Desktop (even uses the old V2i file
    extension). V2i, in turn, may have been DI with incremental backups.
    Ron
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Milleron wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:36:02 -0500, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>John McCoy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am planning to get an Asus P4C800E Deluxe and an SATA drive, I am
    >>>currently running a scsi set up and wondering what the best imaging software
    >>>is?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>
    >>I suggest Ghost 9, or Drive Image 7.
    >>
    >>Where I work there have been Ghost vs. Drive Image flame wars for years.
    >>I always preferred the Drive Image user interface, and found the two
    >>products provided similar functionality, but leapfrogged each other with
    >>each new version released.
    >>
    >>Drive Image 7 finally eliminated the last of the annoyances - the need
    >>to boot DOS to back up a system partition (can now be scheduled and run
    >>without shutting down Windows), and the requirement to create DOS boot
    >>disks which were frequently hardware-specific (DI7 can boot from the
    >>product CD and configure networking without user intervention - required
    >>only for system partition restores or after drive failure).
    >>
    >>I guess Drive Image wins the flame wars - Symantec bought Powerquest,
    >>and Ghost 9 is Drive Image 7 with incremental image backup functionality
    >>added. The traditional Ghost user interface is no more...
    >>
    >>P2B
    >

    > Well, yes, you could put it that way. Technically speaking, though,
    > Ghost 9 is a rebadged version of a different, lesser known, former
    > PowerQuest product, V2i Protector Desktop (even uses the old V2i file
    > extension). V2i, in turn, may have been DI with incremental backups.
    > Ron

    Interesting. I wasn't aware of V2i Protector Desktop, and assumed
    Symantec developed the incremental backup functionality after the
    acquisition of Powerquest. DI7 also uses the v2i file extension.

    P2B
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:17:09 -0500, P2B <p2b@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Milleron wrote:

    >>>I suggest Ghost 9, or Drive Image 7.
    >>>
    >>>Where I work there have been Ghost vs. Drive Image flame wars for years.
    >>>I always preferred the Drive Image user interface, and found the two
    >>>products provided similar functionality, but leapfrogged each other with
    >>>each new version released.
    >>>
    >>>Drive Image 7 finally eliminated the last of the annoyances - the need
    >>>to boot DOS to back up a system partition (can now be scheduled and run
    >>>without shutting down Windows), and the requirement to create DOS boot
    >>>disks which were frequently hardware-specific (DI7 can boot from the
    >>>product CD and configure networking without user intervention - required
    >>>only for system partition restores or after drive failure).
    >>>
    >>>I guess Drive Image wins the flame wars - Symantec bought Powerquest,
    >>>and Ghost 9 is Drive Image 7 with incremental image backup functionality
    >>>added. The traditional Ghost user interface is no more...
    >>>
    >>>P2B
    >>

    >> Well, yes, you could put it that way. Technically speaking, though,
    >> Ghost 9 is a rebadged version of a different, lesser known, former
    >> PowerQuest product, V2i Protector Desktop (even uses the old V2i file
    >> extension). V2i, in turn, may have been DI with incremental backups.
    >> Ron
    >
    >Interesting. I wasn't aware of V2i Protector Desktop, and assumed
    >Symantec developed the incremental backup functionality after the
    >acquisition of Powerquest. DI7 also uses the v2i file extension.

    Yeah, V2i Protector did incremental backups. PowerQuest didn't seem
    to promote it much for consumers, probably because it was originally
    aimed at the enterprise level with the Desktop version being an
    afterthought. For example, they were never aggressive in getting it
    reviewed by the main computer mags. I own both V2i and Ghost 9, and I
    can see no difference, at all. I wouldn't have paid good money for
    Ghost 9 had I known that it's nothing new. That doesn't mean it's not
    a good product. I think it is, but it's not a genuine advance in this
    type of software.

    Ron

Asus SATA Software Motherboards