P4P800 Deluxe - Asus Update and WinXP SP2

Hi NG,

I'm trying to install the Asus Update Utility Program ver 5.28.01 from
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt52801.zip

to my PC after I upgraded it to WinXP SP2.

The Asus program states that I do not have a ASUS motherboards and then
quits the installation. But I do have a P4P800 Deluxe MB.

Is there a newer version of above program or some fix I should do to WinXP
SP2?

- Chr
3 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 deluxe asus update winxp

    Ok went to:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx

    Clicked Tools, and found this new version 5.31.01:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt53101.zip

    same result - the program states that I don't have an Asus MB.

    If some one knows a fix I'll be happy to hear about it :-)

    - Chr

    In article <308ve1F2rutm4U1@uni-berlin.de>, "Christian"
    <chr.steenberg@DELorangenet.dk> wrote:

    > Ok went to:
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx
    >
    > Clicked Tools, and found this new version 5.31.01:
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/Asusupdt53101.zip
    >
    > same result - the program states that I don't have an Asus MB.
    >
    > If some one knows a fix I'll be happy to hear about it :-)
    >
    > - Chr

    Always check the "More" link, for the BIOS releases listed on
    the download page for your board. The motherboards can have
    up to three methods to do the flash, and not all methods work
    properly for a given release.

    The manual says you can use AFUDOS and a MSDOS boot disk.
    Or, you can use EZFlash, by pressing <Alt> F2 at startup.

    I would expect EZFlash to be more forgiving, and maybe it
    will allow you to update.

    If you are at all curious, you could start by using one of
    the flash programs, to backup your current BIOS. Take the
    resulting BIOS file, and compare it to a BIOS file with a
    similar release number from the download page. I can promise
    you, that the two files will not be the same, so a direct
    comparison is not possible. The reason for this, is the DMI
    and ESCD information, is written by the BIOS, into the flash
    chip, every time the computer POSTs and new hardware is
    found. So, there will be a section of the flash image, nearer
    the end of the file than at the beginning, that differs from
    the download. Otherwise, the front part of the file should
    be identical to a similar release downloaded from the Asus
    web site.

    Obviously, the flash programs are checking an identifier in
    the BIOS chip, to see whether the new BIOS is a member of the
    same family as the old one. You can use a hex editor, and
    examine the backup and downloaded BIOS files, and see whether
    the identification information is the same. Check the very end
    of the file, for example, where there is a release number
    stored and the name of the board.

    I cannot promise this will help, but Asus has had problems
    before, with localization (specifically, the use of ","
    versus "." for the decimal point in numbers). Try

    Control Panel / Regional Settings /Number / Decimal Symbol
    and change it from "," to "."

    Maybe the Asus software reads the release number, and when
    the OS passes this as delimited with "," , the software
    fails.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Hi Paul,

    > I cannot promise this will help, but Asus has had problems
    > before, with localization (specifically, the use of ","
    > versus "." for the decimal point in numbers). Try
    >
    > Control Panel / Regional Settings /Number / Decimal Symbol
    > and change it from "," to "."

    Spot on. Made the change to my regional setup and the install of Asusupdt
    Version 5.31.01 works like it should.

    Thanks!
    - Chr

Asus Motherboards