Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 Xp mode "virtual machine already running"

Last response: in Windows 7
October 29, 2009 1:35:49 PM

I have Win 7 Ultimate and downloaded the 500 mb file for Win XP sp3 and also the 9 mb second file MS told me to download and install.

I installed the first file and then the second file.

I opened up the bios for the AMD Phenom 9600 Asus motherboard and enabled virtualization.

I started XP mode and all appeared to be going well until the screen displays an error message in a box that says the virtual machine is already running with another program and everything stops.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

TNX
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 1:58:19 PM

Screenshot? I'm curious now...
a b $ Windows 7
October 29, 2009 2:01:30 PM

you havent opened an app in xp mode and still have it open? and it does this after reboot?
Related resources
October 29, 2009 3:11:53 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Screenshot? I'm curious now...

I'm not too skilled with adding pictures through URL links, I'm used to just attaching them to the message, but here is a link to an album on photobucket with a sceen capture of the error message:

http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/gsimms22/Win%2...

TNX, :bounce: 

GaRy
October 29, 2009 3:35:37 PM

fowang said:
you havent opened an app in xp mode and still have it open? and it does this after reboot?

I've not been able to get anything running in XP Mode.

I can create virtual machines and see them listed, but when I click on the xp mode menu item the process leads to this error message.

I click on the menu icon, then All Programs, then Windows Virtual PC, then two options show up. Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode.

It's the XP Mode option that results in this error message.

The other menu item lets me create a virtual machine and delete it. It's always listed as being "powered Doen."

October 30, 2009 1:44:58 PM

Reinstalled Win 7 Ultimate on a new hard drive w/o activation and the XP Mode works just fine, well at least as I think it is supposed to work.

It still will not install and recognize drivers for the HP4470C scanjet, Okidata 5150N color laser printer, or either of my analog to digital video converters so, so much for XP mode taking care of my fears of upgrading to Vista or Win 7 or whatever they are calling it/charging for.
October 30, 2009 1:48:59 PM

I am totally unimpressed with xp mode, could've saved 29 bucks and got home premium
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 2:16:52 PM

this may seem silly but you do know that you have to install the app you want onto the virtual machine to enable it to run in xp mode
October 30, 2009 2:19:06 PM

Well you know MS has something really screwed up whe they give you Vista and then CHARGE $150 for a DOWNGRADE to Windoes XP Pro!

Now they have decided to charge for Vista SP3!

Yesterday I talked to a fellow that told me to use Linux. When Joe average is touting Linux, it makes me wonder!
October 30, 2009 2:30:22 PM

fowang said:
this may seem silly but you do know that you have to install the app you want onto the virtual machine to enable it to run in xp mode

The difference between gunius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

I'm just a computer user and not a programmer so I have no ego to feed here and will gladly admit my errors.

So how does a program that I've installed in XP Mode utilize drivers that neither install in Win 7 or XP Mode, but DO install and work just fine in Win XP Pro sp 2 and/or 3?

That's my problem. My solution is a dual boot machine, but since everything works in Windows XP, why bother with Win 7 other than as an educational task?

Does MS not realize there is a recession on? Launching an expensive new OS that requires new computers as well as replacing peripherials AND the cost of the labor to train the employees seems like a good idea?

After 3 days with Win 7 the glitter is gone and I'm back to Windows XP that works with my scanners, printers, and staff. :hello: 

a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2009 1:40:28 AM

Windows XP mode was NOT designed to get your ancient hardware running within Windows 7... this is a software-only environment and is designed to run programs that have compatibility issues with Windows Vista or 7. If you want old printers and scanners to work, you either have to go back to XP or hope that the hardware has Vista or Windows 7 drivers.

The Okidata printer does have drivers available, but the ScanJet does not. Did you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor? It would have told you what hardware wouldn't be supported out of the box. Never, ever rely on a virtualized environment for hardware support.
November 4, 2009 3:17:46 AM

so the point of virtualization in xp mode is to accomodate bloat? I had hoped to have my protools 001 running on it and its clear after several attempts that my triple boot is going to remain
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 4:27:30 PM

Not sure what you mean by "accomodate bloat", but I can tell you that XP Mode is a software-only environment. It was never intended to help Windows 7 use old hardware. There is no 3D acceleration. If someone wants an older version of software that doesn't require hardware support to run, then XP Mode will work for you. Software like AutoCAD that requires hardware 3D support wouldn't be helped by XP Mode... but something like say Simply Accounting would.
November 5, 2009 5:26:04 PM

Well I've made my upgrade decision: dual boot system so I'll be working with one foot solidly planted on historically solid ground and one foot testing the future ground.

Two questions:

Will an old program like Simply Accounting work with new hardware that IS supported in Windows 7? e.g. My old printer that worked with SA in XP Pro, but NOT supported in Win 7 is replaced by a new printer that is supported by Win 7 Will print just fine from SA running is XP mode?

What's the difference between running a program in Win 7 with a compatibility option of XP sp2 or XP sp3 and running in XP Mode?

BTW, the Okidata color printer magically began to work and another blog mentioned a scanner control program called Vuescan that would allow the 4470C HP scanner to work in Win 7. Unfortunately, it won't work in the Win 7 64 bit environment, but was reported to work in win 7 32 bit.

TNX,
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 7:39:55 PM

I'll have to experiment and get back to you on that... I haven't yet downloaded XP mode. I'm guessing that if you print from a program within XP mode that it will print to a Windows 7 compatible printer. I'm not completely sure of this, but I will give it a try.
!