Selecting properties on a device generates explorer error

Hi,

I recently upgraded from windows 98se to windows xp.
There were no errors generated during the upgrade but now
I have a problem. I cannot go into "My Computer", select
a device, i.e the C drive, and select Properties from the
pulldown menu. It generates an explorer error and closes
the My Computer window. I can get to the drive through
the adminstrative tools from the control panel.

Has anyone heard of or dealt with this problem before? As
far as I can tell everything else is fine.

Thanks for your assistance,
Dave
1 answer Last reply
More about selecting properties device generates explorer error

    Sounds like it just kind of messed up a bit in the upgrade process.
    Check for updates on http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com . Since you just
    upgraded you probably don't have Service Pack 1a installed. This will
    overwrite most of the system files with newer ones and hopefully fix
    your problem :)

    Nathan McNulty

    Dave_R wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently upgraded from windows 98se to windows xp.
    > There were no errors generated during the upgrade but now
    > I have a problem. I cannot go into "My Computer", select
    > a device, i.e the C drive, and select Properties from the
    > pulldown menu. It generates an explorer error and closes
    > the My Computer window. I can get to the drive through
    > the adminstrative tools from the control panel.
    >
    > Has anyone heard of or dealt with this problem before? As
    > far as I can tell everything else is fine.
    >
    > Thanks for your assistance,
    > Dave

Explorer Devices Windows XP