Upgrade from Home to Pro hangs

jp

My eMachines T4150 came with Windows XP Home pre-installed. My attempt to upgrade
to XP Pro hangs in the Installing Windows phase at "39 minutes remaining" while
the installing device bar is open.

I see a blue or black full screen full of error info just before it reboots. It
flashes by so fast I cannot read any of the text. The system reboots over and
over and I can't complete the install nor go back to XP Home - every boot says
"resuming install".

The XP Pro splash screen shows when booting. I've tried booting from the install
CD, repair, abort the install, and lots of other things.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Be sure you disconnect all peripheral devices before
upgrading, then install them after it is complete.

"JP" <nospam@pacbell.invalid> wrote in message
| My eMachines T4150 came with Windows XP Home
pre-installed. My attempt to upgrade
| to XP Pro hangs in the Installing Windows phase at "39
minutes remaining" while
| the installing device bar is open.
|
| I see a blue or black full screen full of error info just
before it reboots. It
| flashes by so fast I cannot read any of the text. The
system reboots over and
| over and I can't complete the install nor go back to XP
Home - every boot says
| "resuming install".
|
| The XP Pro splash screen shows when booting. I've tried
booting from the install
| CD, repair, abort the install, and lots of other things.
|
| Any help will be greatly appreciated.

jp

Nothing is connected except keyboard, mouse, CD, monitor. I believe the Ethernet
NIC is integrated on the motherboard. I think the video card is the only thing
using a PCI slot.

What can I disconnect?

I have tried Regular mode startup, Safe mode startup, last known good config
startup, Windows repair off CD.

eMachines online support can only say that T4150 has not been tested with XP Pro.

I never thought to check for compatibility - how could XP Pro not support devices
that XP Home supports! But that seems to be possible.

> Be sure you disconnect all peripheral devices before
> upgrading, then install them after it is complete.

> "JP" <nospam@pacbell.invalid> wrote in message
> | My eMachines T4150 came with Windows XP Home
> pre-installed. My attempt to upgrade
> | to XP Pro hangs in the Installing Windows phase at "39
> minutes remaining" while
> | the installing device bar is open.
> |
> | I see a blue or black full screen full of error info just
> before it reboots. It
> | flashes by so fast I cannot read any of the text. The
> system reboots over and
> | over and I can't complete the install nor go back to XP
> Home - every boot says
> | "resuming install".
> |
> | The XP Pro splash screen shows when booting. I've tried
> booting from the install
> | CD, repair, abort the install, and lots of other things.
> |
> | Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking you might have had a printer or scanner
connected.

The only thing I can think of is that EMachine may have used
some hardware that is not supported by the XP Pro upgrade
and it hangs while trying to identify the device or find a
driver.

I'm not sure, but there may be a log file that would let you
determine the device(s) that are causing the problem, maybe
one of the MVPs will chime in.

Have you thought to try a clean install using the upgrade
CD? I don't know what type of media you have to use as
proof, but an old W95 or 98 CD will do.

| Nothing is connected except keyboard, mouse, CD, monitor.
I believe the Ethernet
| NIC is integrated on the motherboard. I think the video
card is the only thing
| using a PCI slot.
|
| What can I disconnect?
|
| I have tried Regular mode startup, Safe mode startup, last
known good config
| startup, Windows repair off CD.
|
| eMachines online support can only say that T4150 has not
been tested with XP Pro.

| I never thought to check for compatibility - how could XP
Pro not support devices
| that XP Home supports! But that seems to be possible.

in message
| > Be sure you disconnect all peripheral devices before
| > upgrading, then install them after it is complete.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "JP" <nospam@pacbell.invalid> wrote in message
| > | My eMachines T4150 came with Windows XP Home
| > pre-installed. My attempt to upgrade
| > | to XP Pro hangs in the Installing Windows phase at "39
| > minutes remaining" while
| > | the installing device bar is open.
| > |
| > | I see a blue or black full screen full of error info
just
| > before it reboots. It
| > | flashes by so fast I cannot read any of the text. The
| > system reboots over and
| > | over and I can't complete the install nor go back to
XP
| > Home - every boot says
| > | "resuming install".
| > |
| > | The XP Pro splash screen shows when booting. I've
tried
| > booting from the install
| > | CD, repair, abort the install, and lots of other
things.
| > |
| > | Any help will be greatly appreciated.
| > |
| > |
| > |

The problem isn't that Windows XP Home supports what XP Pro doesn't. The
problem is that you have an OEM machine that does not have standard
hardware. Also, you upgraded an OEM Version of XP Home to (I'm guessing
a Corporate version) of XP Professional. You usually end up with
problems when changing between types of XP.

I would try to repair the installation by booting off the Windows XP Pro
CD, choose to Install, then chose to Repair Automatically. Hopefully it
will fix whatever is causing the problem. You may need to copy files off
your XP Home CD because the needed drivers are going to be on it ;)

Nathan McNulty

JP wrote:

> Nothing is connected except keyboard, mouse, CD, monitor. I believe the Ethernet
> NIC is integrated on the motherboard. I think the video card is the only thing
> using a PCI slot.
>
> What can I disconnect?
>
> I have tried Regular mode startup, Safe mode startup, last known good config
> startup, Windows repair off CD.
>
> eMachines online support can only say that T4150 has not been tested with XP Pro.
>
> I never thought to check for compatibility - how could XP Pro not support devices
> that XP Home supports! But that seems to be possible.
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>
>>Be sure you disconnect all peripheral devices before
>>upgrading, then install them after it is complete.
>>

>>--
>>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>>"JP" <nospam@pacbell.invalid> wrote in message
>>| My eMachines T4150 came with Windows XP Home
>>pre-installed. My attempt to upgrade
>>| to XP Pro hangs in the Installing Windows phase at "39
>>minutes remaining" while
>>| the installing device bar is open.
>>|
>>| I see a blue or black full screen full of error info just
>>before it reboots. It
>>| flashes by so fast I cannot read any of the text. The
>>system reboots over and
>>| over and I can't complete the install nor go back to XP
>>Home - every boot says
>>| "resuming install".
>>|
>>| The XP Pro splash screen shows when booting. I've tried
>>booting from the install
>>| CD, repair, abort the install, and lots of other things.
>>|
>>| Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You are hinting at it there. What happens is the eMachine is an OEM
installation with custom hardware. The drivers may only exist on that
OEM installation CD and is not natively supported by Windows XP. So in
effect, he needs the drivers from his OEM CD incorporated onto his
Windows XP Pro CD.

ASUS is the best IMO. Have owned 4 ASUS boards and 2 ABIT boards. Those
have both been awesome. Will never use ECS or Soyo again. I do find it
funny he blames it on the motherboard when it isn't even the motherboard
that is causing the problem :)

Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:

> I was thinking you might have had a printer or scanner
> connected.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that EMachine may have used
> some hardware that is not supported by the XP Pro upgrade
> and it hangs while trying to identify the device or find a
> driver.
>
> I'm not sure, but there may be a log file that would let you
> determine the device(s) that are causing the problem, maybe
> one of the MVPs will chime in.
>
> Have you thought to try a clean install using the upgrade
> CD? I don't know what type of media you have to use as
> proof, but an old W95 or 98 CD will do.

jp

Resolution:

After trying almost everything I could think of (turned off audio, modem, lan,
USB in BIOS setup; copied CD to disk and tried to install from disk), I chose
"boot from (install) CD" and selected INSTALL (repair did not work; continue
installation did not work). That worked without a hitch, although I lost all my
previously installed stuff.

I did a lot of Internet searching and found similar problems but no solutions.
Most people seemed to think this a hardware issue. A few thought it was an
upgrade install over OEM version of XP Home. That seems to be the case here. It
would seem that if hardware were an issue, the same problem would occur when the
installed scanned devices in either an update or full install.

BTW, the documentation says the motherboard is Micro ATX for factor, Intel
Pentium 4 processor, Award BIOS.

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
> You are hinting at it there. What happens is the eMachine is an OEM
> installation with custom hardware. The drivers may only exist on that
> OEM installation CD and is not natively supported by Windows XP. So in
> effect, he needs the drivers from his OEM CD incorporated onto his
> Windows XP Pro CD.
>
> ASUS is the best IMO. Have owned 4 ASUS boards and 2 ABIT boards. Those
> have both been awesome. Will never use ECS or Soyo again. I do find it
> funny he blames it on the motherboard when it isn't even the motherboard
> that is causing the problem :)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Jim Macklin wrote:
>
> > I was thinking you might have had a printer or scanner
> > connected.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is that EMachine may have used
> > some hardware that is not supported by the XP Pro upgrade
> > and it hangs while trying to identify the device or find a
> > driver.
> >
> > I'm not sure, but there may be a log file that would let you
> > determine the device(s) that are causing the problem, maybe
> > one of the MVPs will chime in.
> >
> > Have you thought to try a clean install using the upgrade
> > CD? I don't know what type of media you have to use as
> > proof, but an old W95 or 98 CD will do.

jp

I forgot to add that the "full" install (as opposed to the upgrade install) said
it could not find a previous copy of windows. Perhaps that is another symptom of
installing an upgrade over the OEM XP Home edition.

Fortunately I found an old NT Workstation 4.0 CD, which was accepted. The XP Pro
install CD is an upgrade CD.

> Resolution:
>
> After trying almost everything I could think of (turned off audio, modem, lan,
> USB in BIOS setup; copied CD to disk and tried to install from disk), I chose
> "boot from (install) CD" and selected INSTALL (repair did not work; continue
> installation did not work). That worked without a hitch, although I lost all my
> previously installed stuff.
>
> I did a lot of Internet searching and found similar problems but no solutions.
> Most people seemed to think this a hardware issue. A few thought it was an
> upgrade install over OEM version of XP Home. That seems to be the case here. It
> would seem that if hardware were an issue, the same problem would occur when
the
> installed scanned devices in either an update or full install.
>
> BTW, the documentation says the motherboard is Micro ATX for factor, Intel
> Pentium 4 processor, Award BIOS.
>

> "Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
> > You are hinting at it there. What happens is the eMachine is an OEM
> > installation with custom hardware. The drivers may only exist on that
> > OEM installation CD and is not natively supported by Windows XP. So in
> > effect, he needs the drivers from his OEM CD incorporated onto his
> > Windows XP Pro CD.
> >
> > ASUS is the best IMO. Have owned 4 ASUS boards and 2 ABIT boards. Those
> > have both been awesome. Will never use ECS or Soyo again. I do find it
> > funny he blames it on the motherboard when it isn't even the motherboard
> > that is causing the problem :)
> >
> > Nathan McNulty
> >
> > Jim Macklin wrote:
> >
> > > I was thinking you might have had a printer or scanner
> > > connected.
> > >
> > > The only thing I can think of is that EMachine may have used
> > > some hardware that is not supported by the XP Pro upgrade
> > > and it hangs while trying to identify the device or find a
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure, but there may be a log file that would let you
> > > determine the device(s) that are causing the problem, maybe
> > > one of the MVPs will chime in.
> > >
> > > Have you thought to try a clean install using the upgrade
> > > CD? I don't know what type of media you have to use as
> > > proof, but an old W95 or 98 CD will do.

Glad you got it straightened out. Be sure to run Windows
Update because those security updates are gone.

If you want to know what and who made the mobo, get EVEREST
from www.lavalys.com
to see the details. Micro ATX just means it is a standard
small form factor mobo with 2 or 3 PCI slots instead of 5 or
6.

"JP" <nospam@pacbell.invalid> wrote in message
| Resolution:
|
| After trying almost everything I could think of (turned
off audio, modem, lan,
| USB in BIOS setup; copied CD to disk and tried to install
from disk), I chose
| "boot from (install) CD" and selected INSTALL (repair did
not work; continue
| installation did not work). That worked without a hitch,
although I lost all my
| previously installed stuff.
|
| I did a lot of Internet searching and found similar
problems but no solutions.
| Most people seemed to think this a hardware issue. A few
thought it was an
| upgrade install over OEM version of XP Home. That seems to
be the case here. It
| would seem that if hardware were an issue, the same
problem would occur when the
| installed scanned devices in either an update or full
install.

| BTW, the documentation says the motherboard is Micro ATX
for factor, Intel
| Pentium 4 processor, Award BIOS.
|

| "Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
| > You are hinting at it there. What happens is the
eMachine is an OEM
| > installation with custom hardware. The drivers may only
exist on that
| > OEM installation CD and is not natively supported by
Windows XP. So in
| > effect, he needs the drivers from his OEM CD
incorporated onto his
| > Windows XP Pro CD.
| >
| > ASUS is the best IMO. Have owned 4 ASUS boards and 2
ABIT boards. Those
| > have both been awesome. Will never use ECS or Soyo
again. I do find it
| > funny he blames it on the motherboard when it isn't even
the motherboard
| > that is causing the problem :)
| >
| > Nathan McNulty
| >
| > Jim Macklin wrote:
| >
| > > I was thinking you might have had a printer or scanner
| > > connected.
| > >
| > > The only thing I can think of is that EMachine may
have used
| > > some hardware that is not supported by the XP Pro
upgrade
| > > and it hangs while trying to identify the device or
find a
| > > driver.
| > >
| > > I'm not sure, but there may be a log file that would
let you
| > > determine the device(s) that are causing the problem,
maybe
| > > one of the MVPs will chime in.
| > >
| > > Have you thought to try a clean install using the
upgrade
| > > CD? I don't know what type of media you have to use as
| > > proof, but an old W95 or 98 CD will do.

Sometimes those old Windows CDs are really worth a lot.