Modem not working

I just upgraded my computer to Windows XP from Windows
98. After the upgrade, my modem didn't work and I
couldn't connect to the internet. I ordered the Service
Pack 1a and installed that. It still doeesn't work. I
have a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop. The modem is a
3ComMegahertz 3CXM356 Modem. The modem came with the
computer when I bought it in spring 2000. When I go to
the device manager it lists the modem and says that it
is "not functional". I've tried deleting it and
reinstalling the modem...the computer finds the new
hardware and then says that there is a problem with it
and may not work. Does this mean that I need a new modem?

The 3Cxx356 is not supported within Windows XP. 3Com recommends
model 3Cxx756 for use with Windows XP. Visit their product page for
detailed information on this and all of their products.
See: http://www.usr.com/products/p-main-menu.asp

Notebook or laptop PCs require specialized drivers only the
PC manufacturer can provide. Visit the Dell support website
and download/install the drivers designed for Windows XP
and your specific Dell laptop PC.

Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/

Example:

System Utilities: Dell OS Updates, Driver, Windows XP, English, Multi System, A13
http://support.dell.com/filelib/download.aspx?FileID=37686&c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=0&OS=WW1&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=INS_PNT_CEL_3800&DeviceID=335&Type=&ReleaseID=R34128

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Tands" anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message:

|I just upgraded my computer to Windows XP from Windows
| 98. After the upgrade, my modem didn't work and I
| couldn't connect to the internet. I ordered the Service
| Pack 1a and installed that. It still doeesn't work. I
| have a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop. The modem is a
| 3ComMegahertz 3CXM356 Modem. The modem came with the
| computer when I bought it in spring 2000. When I go to
| the device manager it lists the modem and says that it
| is "not functional". I've tried deleting it and
| reinstalling the modem...the computer finds the new
| hardware and then says that there is a problem with it
| and may not work. Does this mean that I need a new modem?

You can try this too:

First see if this installs:
http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-pccard#3CXM356

Second, if that fails, there is an XP Driver possibly:
http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=58812

User: driver1
Pass: all

Same user/pass for everyone ;)

Nathan McNulty

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> The 3Cxx356 is not supported within Windows XP. 3Com recommends
> model 3Cxx756 for use with Windows XP. Visit their product page for
> detailed information on this and all of their products.
> See: http://www.usr.com/products/p-main-menu.asp
>
> Notebook or laptop PCs require specialized drivers only the
> PC manufacturer can provide. Visit the Dell support website
> and download/install the drivers designed for Windows XP
> and your specific Dell laptop PC.
>
> Dell Support
> http://support.dell.com/
>
> Example:
>
> System Utilities: Dell OS Updates, Driver, Windows XP, English, Multi System, A13
> http://support.dell.com/filelib/download.aspx?FileID=37686&c=us&l=en&s=gen&Category=0&OS=WW1&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=INS_PNT_CEL_3800&DeviceID=335&Type=&ReleaseID=R34128

Hello

Modems are very cheap these days just replace it
and get you a USR modem

al