Hardware Mgr Sees CD-ROM But It's Not on The Desktop

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Internal ATAPI/E-IDE CD ROM drive is recognized by Hardware Manager, and dialog box indicates it's operating normally. However, the drive doesn't appear on the desktop. CD's inserted into it also don't appear. This PC was upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, and all went well. A memory chip was added. That's it for recent changes.

Check out the second problem on this page and see if that helps:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

Nathan McNulty

Jed wrote:

> Internal ATAPI/E-IDE CD ROM drive is recognized by Hardware Manager, and dialog box indicates it's operating normally. However, the drive doesn't appear on the desktop. CD's inserted into it also don't appear. This PC was upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, and all went well. A memory chip was added. That's it for recent changes.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Thanks, but no. This is a ROM drive.
Jed

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Check out the second problem on this page and see if that helps:
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Jed wrote:
>
> > Internal ATAPI/E-IDE CD ROM drive is recognized by Hardware Manager, and dialog box indicates it's operating normally. However, the drive doesn't appear on the desktop. CD's inserted into it also don't appear. This PC was upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, and all went well. A memory chip was added. That's it for recent changes.

:) I said the second one. This one:

"My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)�

This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been
uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they
use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to
find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot. There
is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it
here[http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip]). Before using the patch, be
sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the
drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required
will then need to be re-installed.

This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the
Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with
controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers. It may
be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control
Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers,
double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then
click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.

Nathan McNulty

Jed wrote:

> Thanks, but no. This is a ROM drive.
> Jed
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Check out the second problem on this page and see if that helps:
>>
>>http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Jed wrote:
>>

>>>Internal ATAPI/E-IDE CD ROM drive is recognized by Hardware Manager, and dialog box indicates it's operating normally. However, the drive doesn't appear on the desktop. CD's inserted into it also don't appear. This PC was upgraded from Windows 2000 to XP Pro, and all went well. A memory chip was added. That's it for recent changes.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Sorry, Nathan! I scrolled up instead of staying on the page you pointed me to. Those look like possible fixes. The PC is at work, so when I return on Monday I'll try them and see what happens. Thanks again.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> :) I said the second one. This one:
>
> “My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)�
>
> This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been
> uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they
> use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to
> find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot. There
> is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it
> here[http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip]). Before using the patch, be
> sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the
> drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required
> will then need to be re-installed.
>
> This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the
> Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with
> controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers. It may
> be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control
> Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers,
> double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then
> click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Jed wrote:
>
> > Thanks, but no. This is a ROM drive.
> > Jed
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>Check out the second problem on this page and see if that helps:
> >>
> >>http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
> >>
> >>Nathan McNulty

Not a problem. I figured with all the info on that page, it is pretty
easy to miss :) Hope it works for you.

Nathan McNulty

Jed wrote:

> Sorry, Nathan! I scrolled up instead of staying on the page you pointed me to. Those look like possible fixes. The PC is at work, so when I return on Monday I'll try them and see what happens. Thanks again.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>:) I said the second one. This one:
>>
>>"My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)�
>>
>>This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been
>>uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they
>>use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to
>>find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot. There
>>is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it
>>here[http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip]). Before using the patch, be
>>sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the
>>drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required
>>will then need to be re-installed.
>>
>>This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the
>>Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with
>>controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers. It may
>>be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control
>>Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers,
>>double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then
>>click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Jed wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks, but no. This is a ROM drive.
>>>Jed

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Argh! It didn't work.
The outfit we use for our service wants to sell me a new drive, but I really don't think it's a hardware problem.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Not a problem. I figured with all the info on that page, it is pretty
> easy to miss :) Hope it works for you.
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Jed wrote:
>
> > Sorry, Nathan! I scrolled up instead of staying on the page you pointed me to. Those look like possible fixes. The PC is at work, so when I return on Monday I'll try them and see what happens. Thanks again.
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>:) I said the second one. This one:
> >>
> >>“My CD drives have vanished (from Explorer, Device Manager, etc.)�
> >>
> >>This happens quite often if one of the third-party packages has been
> >>uninstalled. They add references in the Registry for modules which they
> >>use, and these references fail to be removed, leaving Windows unable to
> >>find the files apparently needed for CD devices at the next boot. There
> >>is a simple Registry patch to correct this (download it
> >>here[http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip]). Before using the patch, be
> >>sure to back up the Registry. After using the patch and rebooting, the
> >>drives should reappear. Any third party package that is still required
> >>will then need to be re-installed.
> >>
> >>This problem also may arise if there is underlying trouble with the
> >>Input-Output system of the machine: for example, interactions with
> >>controllers like Promise or Highpoint, or with special drivers. It may
> >>be worth trying a change in the DMA settings for the device in Control
> >>Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager. Under IDE controllers,
> >>double click on the Primary or Secondary IDE Channel concerned, then
> >>click the tab for the Advanced Settings page.
> >>
> >>Nathan McNulty

You know what. This is my bad. I didn't notice that you upgraded from
Windows 2000 and could have solved it right off the bat. Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

Nathan McNulty

Jed wrote:

> Argh! It didn't work.
> The outfit we use for our service wants to sell me a new drive, but I really don't think it's a hardware problem.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Not a problem. I figured with all the info on that page, it is pretty
>>easy to miss :) Hope it works for you.
>>
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Jed wrote:
>>

>>>Sorry, Nathan! I scrolled up instead of staying on the page you pointed me to. Those look like possible fixes. The PC is at work, so when I return on Monday I'll try them and see what happens. Thanks again.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Ah ha! I just discovered that this is a whole different issue. My PC is connected to a small office network. Something must have happened to a setting when I upgraded to XP Pro; the CD-ROM is being seen after all, but is misidentified in the My Computer folder as the "network drive". If I open that icon, it shows the contents of the CD-ROM.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> You know what. This is my bad. I didn't notice that you upgraded from
> Windows 2000 and could have solved it right off the bat. Try this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Jed wrote:
>
> > Argh! It didn't work.
> > The outfit we use for our service wants to sell me a new drive, but I really don't think it's a hardware problem.
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>Not a problem. I figured with all the info on that page, it is pretty
> >>easy to miss :) Hope it works for you.
> >>
> >>Nathan McNulty

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

I figured out what to do: I changed the drive letter assignment for the CD-ROM to 'F' and that fixed it. For some reason, it picked up 'E' which was the letter assigned to the network drive.

"Jed" wrote:

> Ah ha! I just discovered that this is a whole different issue. My PC is connected to a small office network. Something must have happened to a setting when I upgraded to XP Pro; the CD-ROM is being seen after all, but is misidentified in the My Computer folder as the "network drive". If I open that icon, it shows the contents of the CD-ROM.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>
> > You know what. This is my bad. I didn't notice that you upgraded from
> > Windows 2000 and could have solved it right off the bat. Try this:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
> >
> > Nathan McNulty
> >
> > Jed wrote:
> >
> > > Argh! It didn't work.
> > > The outfit we use for our service wants to sell me a new drive, but I really don't think it's a hardware problem.

Cool, glad to hear you figured it out. I get that sometimes where the
drive icon of what was previously there overrides the default icon.

Nathan McNulty