A7N8X-Deluxe - problems with USB card reader

My USB card reader used for photos has suddenly, for no reason I can fathom,
started not to be recognised.

It prevents the system booting up when a card is in place. When I remove the
card, the bootup resumes. Also, when XP has booted up, if I open Windows
Explorer and try to insert the card, Explorer freezes and only a
CTRL-ALT-DEL will get rid of it.

I've tried a different card, and a different card reader, with the same
result. The card and card reader function perfectly on a different PC. My
printer uses USB and that still functions OK.

I'm running this system:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model A7N8X2.0
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1830 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS
Rev 1002 Beta 012, 14/03/2003

My IRQ allocation is:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 19 RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 OK
IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 20 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) MCP Audio Processing Unit (Dolby(R) Digital) OK
IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface OK
IRQ 21 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter OK
IRQ 22 3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller OK

I've tried following instructions to re-allocate IRQs but I just can't get
those other devices off IRQ20, 21 and 22. I've disabled the printer ports
and COM ports in the BIOS but it still insists on sharing the USB IRQs with
other devices. Although for all I know that might not even be the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Stuart.

Dino

sounds like the system is trying to boot to USB...also try re-installing the
USB2.0 from the Unified drivers..I had that issue happen awhile back and I
needed to disable some options in the BIOS and reinstall USB2.0

Replying to my own posts (and top-posting as well!) might be a bit off-form,
but I've found the problem (to save anyone wasting time thinking about it).
I read on Google that some CD writing software was causing some people USB
problems, as it had a tendency to alter things, so I uninstalled mine, which
came free with my DVD-R drive, deleted shared .dll files when the
uninstaller offered to, and whaddya know, I got the card reader back!

Regards,

Stuart.

"dino" <whyme@help.com> wrote in message
> sounds like the system is trying to boot to USB...also try re-installing
> the
> USB2.0 from the Unified drivers..I had that issue happen awhile back and I
> needed to disable some options in the BIOS and reinstall USB2.0

Thankyou for the reply, dino - I've found the solution now. I'm not sure
what the Unified drivers are - could you explain? Incidentally, I did try to
install the USB 2.0 drivers from the CD that accompanied the motherboard,
and all that happened what it opened the readme file for them - it wouldn't
install them.

In my desperation, I also tried flashing the bios, which I probably should
have done anyway since I'm miles behind with it. This worked, amazingly, and
I'm now at 1008. Does this do anything exciting? Can I put faster processors
in?

Regards,

Stuart.