XP (after new hard drive installed) won't recognize plug '..

Rich

Hi,
I have a Dell (1.5 yrs old) that the hard drive went bad on. I
installed the new one (second time I've done that), formatted, and
loaded Windows XP Pro. It seemed okay, until I noticed that I couldn't
reset the screen resolution above 640 x 480. When I looked at the
system devices, all plug-play show the big yellow question mark, and
come up as "the drivers for this device are not installed".

When I try to re-install the drivers, it says "can't find
hardware" or something like that. I'm new to XP, can anyone give me a
hand here? I re-installed XP, pulled the ribbon cables out and put
them back, everything I could think of, but nothing. It's not "seeing"
the 3-com Ethernet card either.

Rich

I did notice that the old hard drive had the jumpers set differently
than the Maxtor directions told me to set these. Can that be the
problem? Should I switch it, or would that mess up the install I did
with XP?

Carl

Sounds like a driver problem, either with the graphics
card or your motherboard. Dell should have provided a CD
for emergency reinstallations and the like... the drivers
should be on there, or you can download them. I ran into
similar problems when working with a new drive and
Windows installation... Just make sure all the drivers
are installed (plug and play doesn't always detect
everything you need).

~Carl

Hello

Go to Dell's website and look up your pc model and type
and it should ahve driver their for your pc both Network ard and your
video card. Also if you installed the drive compare old jumper
settings with new one but sounds like it's working ok

alvin

Rich wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a Dell (1.5 yrs old) that the hard drive went bad on. I
> installed the new one (second time I've done that), formatted, and
> loaded Windows XP Pro. It seemed okay, until I noticed that I couldn't
> reset the screen resolution above 640 x 480. When I looked at the
> system devices, all plug-play show the big yellow question mark, and
> come up as "the drivers for this device are not installed".
>
> When I try to re-install the drivers, it says "can't find
> hardware" or something like that. I'm new to XP, can anyone give me a
> hand here? I re-installed XP, pulled the ribbon cables out and put
> them back, everything I could think of, but nothing. It's not "seeing"
> the 3-com Ethernet card either.
>
> Rich
>
> I did notice that the old hard drive had the jumpers set differently
> than the Maxtor directions told me to set these. Can that be the
> problem? Should I switch it, or would that mess up the install I did
> with XP?

Rich

"Carl" <carlroller@rcn.com> wrote in message news:<2ab0101c465f8$8230d670$a301280a@phx.gbl>...
> Sounds like a driver problem, either with the graphics
> card or your motherboard. Dell should have provided a CD
> for emergency reinstallations and the like... the drivers
> should be on there, or you can download them. I ran into
> similar problems when working with a new drive and
> Windows installation... Just make sure all the drivers
> are installed (plug and play doesn't always detect
> everything you need).
>
> ~Carl

Thank you both for the help, I was able to manually install the
drivers after finding a method that didn't get me a "unable to find
hardware" message. All's well,
Regards,
Rich