P4c800E/Front Panel Audio Question

Hi,

I have the P4C800-E and I also have a case with a microphone imput with two
wired leads. The jumper panel on the Motherboard, If I connect this to the
MIC pins, is that it, or do I have to remove the jumper pins that are there.
the manual says only remove these if you're connecting an intel front panel
cable.

Tia,

jeff
11 answers Last reply
More about p4c800e front panel audio question

    In article <A5CdncAX9Ym_sDzcRVn-gA@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have the P4C800-E and I also have a case with a microphone imput with two
    > wired leads. The jumper panel on the Motherboard, If I connect this to the
    > MIC pins, is that it, or do I have to remove the jumper pins that are there.
    > the manual says only remove these if you're connecting an intel front panel
    > cable.
    >
    > Tia,
    >
    > jeff

    If the computer front panel jack for the microphone only has two
    wires, connect them to "MIC" and "GND" on the FPAUDIO header of
    the motherboard. But typically, microphones have 1/8" stereo
    plugs, and those have three contacts. The contact at the very
    tip is "MIC", the middle contact is "MIC_PWR" (or alternately
    named "MIC_BIAS"), and the other contact is "GND". It would be
    normal, as a result, for the microphone jack to have three wires.
    If you can dig up those three wires, then connect them to
    like-named signals on the FPAUDIO header.

    As for the jumper plugs, they have to do with the Lineout
    audio signals. You don't and should not touch them, if all
    you are doing is hooking up the microphone.

    The original background info was here, and has been removed
    by Intel, in favour of their new Azalia Audio.

    (original doc, now gone)
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/fpio_design_guideline.pdf

    (replacement, with emphasis on Azalia - see page 21)
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604.pdf

    (Download this one. First two pages are the same as the orig.)
    http://www.minmaw.com/FPIO_Design_Guideline_final%20v10.pdf

    Note: Make no connection to the +5VA pin. It is raw power
    and would severely damage the microphone or speakers, if
    it was connected. I think it might have been intended for
    powering a headphone amplifier, which nobody implements.
    Most audio chips already have a 32 ohm driver for headphones,
    so it isn't needed as a rule.

    HTH,
    Paul

    > In article <A5CdncAX9Ym_sDzcRVn-gA@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have the P4C800-E and I also have a case with a microphone imput with
    two
    > > wired leads. The jumper panel on the Motherboard, If I connect this to
    the
    > > MIC pins, is that it, or do I have to remove the jumper pins that are
    there.
    > > the manual says only remove these if you're connecting an intel front
    panel
    > > cable.
    > >
    > > Tia,
    > >
    > > jeff
    >
    > If the computer front panel jack for the microphone only has two
    > wires, connect them to "MIC" and "GND" on the FPAUDIO header of
    > the motherboard. But typically, microphones have 1/8" stereo
    > plugs, and those have three contacts. The contact at the very
    > tip is "MIC", the middle contact is "MIC_PWR" (or alternately
    > named "MIC_BIAS"), and the other contact is "GND". It would be
    > normal, as a result, for the microphone jack to have three wires.
    > If you can dig up those three wires, then connect them to
    > like-named signals on the FPAUDIO header.
    >
    > As for the jumper plugs, they have to do with the Lineout
    > audio signals. You don't and should not touch them, if all
    > you are doing is hooking up the microphone.
    >
    > The original background info was here, and has been removed
    > by Intel, in favour of their new Azalia Audio.
    >
    > (original doc, now gone)
    > http://www.formfactors.org/developer/fpio_design_guideline.pdf
    >
    > (replacement, with emphasis on Azalia - see page 21)
    > http://www.formfactors.org/developer\specs\A2928604.pdf
    >
    > (Download this one. First two pages are the same as the orig.)
    > http://www.minmaw.com/FPIO_Design_Guideline_final%20v10.pdf
    >
    > Note: Make no connection to the +5VA pin. It is raw power
    > and would severely damage the microphone or speakers, if
    > it was connected. I think it might have been intended for
    > powering a headphone amplifier, which nobody implements.
    > Most audio chips already have a 32 ohm driver for headphones,
    > so it isn't needed as a rule.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    THANK YOU PAUl.

    Just two other things, does this cancel the mic input on the back Panel?

    Also. if I remove the jumper caps on the pinouts on teh MB and onnect the
    headphone wires from the front panel to them, can i then have a situation
    where connecting a headphone would then "kill" the sound coming from the
    speakers connected to line out from the back plate?

    TIA

    jeff

    In article <gNSdnTHB6dfsSzzcRVn-vQ@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

    > THANK YOU PAUl.
    >
    > Just two other things, does this cancel the mic input on the back Panel?
    >
    > Also. if I remove the jumper caps on the pinouts on teh MB and onnect the
    > headphone wires from the front panel to them, can i then have a situation
    > where connecting a headphone would then "kill" the sound coming from the
    > speakers connected to line out from the back plate?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > jeff

    Your mixer control panel for the sound system, should offer
    a MIC1 and a MIC2 setting. MIC2 would be the microphone connected
    to the FP_AUDIO header.

    Front panel headphones are a little more complicated.

    If the headphone jack on the front of the computer has
    three wires, it is an ordinary non-interrupting style
    jack. If you remove the two jumper caps, and connect the
    three wires, you lose use of Lineout on the back of the
    computer.

    If you can find a way to do the same job as the two jumpers
    (i.e. keep shorting those two pairs of pins, like the jumper
    caps would), and connect the three wires to their intended
    connections, you could have front panel audio and Lineout
    at the same. There would be no interruption, but you'll get
    a burst of noise or a "pop" from the speakers when plugging
    or unplugging.

    If the computer case has five wires for the headphones, then
    the wiring supports the "interrupting" option. When the five
    wires are connected, plugging in headphones on the front,
    cuts off speakers on the back (Lineout). Again, if you can
    find a way to do the same job as the jumper caps (i.e. short
    the pairs of pins the way the jumper caps would), then there
    won't be an interrupting function, both outputs work at
    the same time, and you might get clicks and pops when plugging
    in.

    To make a cable that is both a jumper plug and a contact
    for wiring to the front panel (making a non-interrupting
    headphone setup):

    http://frontx.com/order_c.html (the page I found these...)
    http://frontx.com/cpx075_8.html (jumper plugs - buy 2)
    http://frontx.com/cpx076.html (enough for 5 jumpers in one pkg)
    http://frontx.com/cpx076_2.html (male contact - one pkg enough)

    Make two of these cable assemblies. One for left and one for
    right channel headphone. The 075_8 end fits onto FP_AUDIO,
    and the 076_2 connects to the headphone wiring on the front
    of the case.

    Plastic Female Male
    Body Pins Pin
    075_8 076 076_2
    -----
    X | XXXXX---|
    X | XXXXX---|-----------------xxxxx
    ----- ^

    +--- Crimp two wires into this pin, so all
    three pins are shorted together. I.e
    / like this.
    /

    ------- ----------------
    | | | |
    | | | |
    X X x
    X X x
    X X x
    X X x
    X X x

    The body of the male pin will need to be covered with black
    electrical tape, as Frontx doesn't seem to sell the plastic
    cover for the single male pin. The two female pins, after the
    wires have been crimped in place, slide into the 075_8 two
    position jumper body, and will click when the little tab on
    each pin is in place. If, where the wire is crimped, is too
    fat, the pin will not fit properly into the plastic body.
    Since you have extra pins, you'll need to experiment a bit,
    to get it right.

    You also need a little wire. The jumper plugs I have sitting
    in front of me, specify #22 to #28 gauge stranded wire, as
    fitting into the crimp pins. Radio Shack 278-1224 is pretty
    close to being the right kind of wire - as the number goes up,
    the wire gets smaller, so #22 is the largest diameter and
    #28 is the smallest. With the #22 gauge, you might have a
    little trouble fitting two wires into one of the female
    pin bodies. Maybe two #26 gauge wires would fit. If you
    take a sample of the female pin to Radio Shack, maybe they
    can suggest a wire likely to fit the pin. Or, if you have
    a real electronics parts store in your town, they may be
    able to supply all the parts needed themselves. I have only
    one store in my city that can handle such an order.

    HTH,
    Paul

> [...]
    > Since you have extra pins, you'll need to experiment a bit,
    > to get it right.
    >
    > You also need a little wire. The jumper plugs I have sitting
    > in front of me, specify #22 to #28 gauge stranded wire, as
    > fitting into the crimp pins. Radio Shack 278-1224 is pretty
    > close to being the right kind of wire - as the number goes up,
    > the wire gets smaller, so #22 is the largest diameter and
    > #28 is the smallest. With the #22 gauge, you might have a
    > little trouble fitting two wires into one of the female
    > pin bodies. Maybe two #26 gauge wires would fit. If you
    > take a sample of the female pin to Radio Shack, maybe they
    > can suggest a wire likely to fit the pin. Or, if you have
    > a real electronics parts store in your town, they may be
    > able to supply all the parts needed themselves. I have only
    > one store in my city that can handle such an order.

    Paul,

    I also havd a 3.5 inch unit combo Multi memory card with headphone jack and
    mic jack, with a moled ten pin jack with one jack mising, will do this do
    the job to making the front panel accessible the way in which you speak the
    way as front x does?

    Also, the mixing program which shows mic 1 and mic 2, is that in sound
    properies control panel (windows mixer?)

    TIA,

    jeff

    In article <CaSdnRN6MoUouj7cRVn-pg@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

    > I also havd a 3.5 inch unit combo Multi memory card with headphone jack and
    > mic jack, with a moled ten pin jack with one jack mising, will do this do
    > the job to making the front panel accessible the way in which you speak the
    > way as front x does?
    >
    > Also, the mixing program which shows mic 1 and mic 2, is that in sound
    > properies control panel (windows mixer?)
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > jeff

    If the instructions with the ten pin plug say it is an Intel
    compatible interface, then just remove the jumper plugs on FPAUDIO
    and plug it in. To be on the safe side, if the instructions
    give a pinout for the connector, compare it to the motherboard
    manual. The pins in the ten pin connector may be removable,
    in case the wires need to be repositioned. (Pressing the tip of
    an Xacto hobby knife, against an exposed metal tab, should
    allow a wire and pin to slide out without too much violence.)

    As for the microphone control, take a look at the mixer panel.
    In the manual, I see a grey dot next to the microphone slider,
    and maybe a dialog box will pop up if you click on the dot.
    The setting doesn't seem to be in the Preferences thing, so
    that is the only other place I can see to access it.

    As some background info, there is a picture of the organization
    of the AD1985 codec here. As to whether the SoundMax software
    allows you to harness everything in there, that is another
    question.

    http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/1198969AD1985_a.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    > In article <CaSdnRN6MoUouj7cRVn-pg@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    >

    > > I also havd a 3.5 inch unit combo Multi memory card with headphone jack
    and
    > > mic jack, with a moled ten pin jack with one jack mising, will do this
    do
    > > the job to making the front panel accessible the way in which you speak
    the
    > > way as front x does?
    > >
    > > Also, the mixing program which shows mic 1 and mic 2, is that in sound
    > > properies control panel (windows mixer?)
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > jeff
    >
    > If the instructions with the ten pin plug say it is an Intel
    > compatible interface, then just remove the jumper plugs on FPAUDIO
    > and plug it in. To be on the safe side, if the instructions
    > give a pinout for the connector, compare it to the motherboard
    > manual. The pins in the ten pin connector may be removable,
    > in case the wires need to be repositioned. (Pressing the tip of
    > an Xacto hobby knife, against an exposed metal tab, should
    > allow a wire and pin to slide out without too much violence.)
    >
    > As for the microphone control, take a look at the mixer panel.
    > In the manual, I see a grey dot next to the microphone slider,
    > and maybe a dialog box will pop up if you click on the dot.
    > The setting doesn't seem to be in the Preferences thing, so
    > that is the only other place I can see to access it.
    >
    > As some background info, there is a picture of the organization
    > of the AD1985 codec here. As to whether the SoundMax software
    > allows you to harness everything in there, that is another
    > question.
    >
    > http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/1198969AD1985_a.pdf
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Paul,

    This front pnale unit made by www.in-win.com (IWI530-B) which is an
    internal 10 in one card reader with headphone and line out has a connector
    (that fits onto the asus MB) but gives no indicator whether it's "intel".
    The plug has a dead pin to match the missing one on the MB, but it also has
    a red wire which connects to the +5 pin on the MB pinout. Should +5 be sent
    to this unit or it doesn't matter.

    Thanks again,

    Jeff

    In article <W7WdnRuT-dH7aDncRVn-rw@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:

    > > In article <CaSdnRN6MoUouj7cRVn-pg@fcc.net>, "Jeff" <jeff@aol.com> wrote:
    > >

    > > > I also havd a 3.5 inch unit combo Multi memory card with headphone jack
    > and
    > > > mic jack, with a moled ten pin jack with one jack mising, will do this
    > do
    > > > the job to making the front panel accessible the way in which you speak
    > the
    > > > way as front x does?
    > > >
    > > > Also, the mixing program which shows mic 1 and mic 2, is that in sound
    > > > properies control panel (windows mixer?)
    > > >
    > > > TIA,
    > > >
    > > > jeff
    > >
    > > If the instructions with the ten pin plug say it is an Intel
    > > compatible interface, then just remove the jumper plugs on FPAUDIO
    > > and plug it in. To be on the safe side, if the instructions
    > > give a pinout for the connector, compare it to the motherboard
    > > manual. The pins in the ten pin connector may be removable,
    > > in case the wires need to be repositioned. (Pressing the tip of
    > > an Xacto hobby knife, against an exposed metal tab, should
    > > allow a wire and pin to slide out without too much violence.)
    > >
    > > As for the microphone control, take a look at the mixer panel.
    > > In the manual, I see a grey dot next to the microphone slider,
    > > and maybe a dialog box will pop up if you click on the dot.
    > > The setting doesn't seem to be in the Preferences thing, so
    > > that is the only other place I can see to access it.
    > >
    > > As some background info, there is a picture of the organization
    > > of the AD1985 codec here. As to whether the SoundMax software
    > > allows you to harness everything in there, that is another
    > > question.
    > >
    > > http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/1198969AD1985_a.pdf
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Paul
    >

    > Paul,
    >
    > This front pnale unit made by www.in-win.com (IWI530-B) which is an
    > internal 10 in one card reader with headphone and line out has a connector
    > (that fits onto the asus MB) but gives no indicator whether it's "intel".
    > The plug has a dead pin to match the missing one on the MB, but it also has
    > a red wire which connects to the +5 pin on the MB pinout. Should +5 be sent
    > to this unit or it doesn't matter.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Jeff

    I tried the Inwin web site, but it is a big zero when it comes to
    product information. No manual.

    The product is listed on the Newegg site, and the people who filed
    reviews, didn't mention any problems with respect to connecting
    it. That is pretty thin info to go on, but I cannot find anything
    else to help you with. This picture:

    http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/20-162-208-07.JPG

    shows the back of the unit, and I see three cables. Maybe one is
    Firewire, one is USB, one is audio ?

    I cannot imagine a Taiwanese company wasting an extra wire when it
    is not needed, so they must be doing something with the +5VA. The
    Firewire and USB cables already have power, so about the only thing
    I can think of, is Inwin has a headphone amplifier on the circuit
    board. Does the product documentation have specs, as if there is
    an amplifier on the headphone port ? If I could look at the inside
    of the unit, I could sorta guess at it.

    I looked around the web a bit, hoping that the Inwin product
    was a rebrand of someone else's product, or vise versa, in the
    hope that I could find a decent manual. But, so far, I haven't
    found a match.

    You could analyse the thing with a multimeter. When there are no
    plugs pushed into the audio jacks, the pins corresponding to
    where the two jumper plugs go, will be shorted just like a
    jumper plug would short the pins. So, sticking the two leads
    of a meter into the two holes of the pins that have the jumper
    on them, should read zero ohms. To debug the rest of it, this
    is what pins on the 2x5 cable, should join to the two jacks
    on the card reader - plugging a male to male 1/8" stereo cable
    into the jack, gives access to the Tip, Ring, and Sleeve
    contacts:

    Microphone_jack Headphone_jack
    Tip MIC Left (Line_Out_L)
    Ring MIC_BIAS Right (Line_Out_R)
    Sleeve GND GND

    To figure out what is happening to +5VA, you'll need to look
    inside the unit.

    Don't you just love Taiwanese stuff :-)

    HTH,
    Paul

    > You could analyse the thing with a multimeter. When there are no
    > plugs pushed into the audio jacks, the pins corresponding to
    > where the two jumper plugs go, will be shorted just like a
    > jumper plug would short the pins. So, sticking the two leads
    > of a meter into the two holes of the pins that have the jumper
    > on them, should read zero ohms. To debug the rest of it, this
    > is what pins on the 2x5 cable, should join to the two jacks
    > on the card reader - plugging a male to male 1/8" stereo cable
    > into the jack, gives access to the Tip, Ring, and Sleeve
    > contacts:
    >
    > Microphone_jack Headphone_jack
    > Tip MIC Left (Line_Out_L)
    > Ring MIC_BIAS Right (Line_Out_R)
    > Sleeve GND GND
    >
    > To figure out what is happening to +5VA, you'll need to look
    > inside the unit.
    >
    > Don't you just love Taiwanese stuff :-)
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Paul,

    Any chance that connecting it as is can fry the MB or do damage?

    I'll try to crank open the unit and pry inside.
    But do internal front bay units with Audio out and mic connectors include
    amplification?

    And yes,. that third cable you speak of is audio.

    jeff

    Paul,

    I made a test, I too kthe IWI530B into a gigbyte built syestem and connected
    the Audio header to the MB.

    With the speaker connectors still mounted to the MB, I connected headphones
    with built in vlume control to the front panel Audio in connector, it
    definitely muted the PC speakers but the volume was very, very low with
    noticeable static, hum and noise.

    Now, i must mention too, I did not connect the USB power for the Unit, just
    the audio connector with the +5 coming from the MB.

    Did I need to connect USB power in addition to connecting the audio header?

    but at least i know now that Rear audio is muted when front connector is
    made.

    jeff

    Paul,